FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the Big Stone Head thread!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
the Big Stone Head thread!
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 10:50 am   Permalink

(double post)

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2009-07-28 11:14 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-27 23:22, Phillip Roberts wrote:
By the way, how much do I need to put into my paypal account?

Phillip:
Prices will PROBABLY be $8.99 to download the book, $20 (shipped) to get it on the USB drive/gift card combo, and $50+shipping for the mug/drive/card together.

Tony:
I don't have immediate plans for an iPhone app. Gary Blaney is designing and laying out the book as a print-ready PDF (by the way, the book is wider than it is tall, so it will also display nicely on a computer screen).
Making it reflowable for a tiny screen will require a complete redesign.

Also right now I am swamped with getting the design finished, getting the custom printed bamboo USB drives made, getting the gift cards made, getting the mugs made, managing the web site, the myspace site, the Facebook site, and setting up the eBook download account!
...not to mention getting my Tiki Oasis seminar together (Sunday morning at 11:30 - I don't believe it is on the TO site yet though).
So if someone wants to step up and handle the iPhone app version, let me know - next month!

Sven:
By your command!

While we're on the subject, a note on Big Stone Head's 350 images....
I have spent five years collecting eye candy for this book.
Hopefully, the majority of the pics will be brand new to Tiki Centralites.

A few images will be things you've seen here on these forums. In this case, I either contacted the original posters for permission to use their images, or I tracked down my own copies of the materials that were posted (such as menus, advertisements, etc) to rescan at high resolution.

Thanks to those who either provided images directly, or made posts that tipped me off to some items that I needed to go in quest of!

Get my newest book, Big Stone Head at:
http://www.bigstonehead.com

For Tiki Road Trip, Left Orbit Temple, global travelogues, and more, visit:
http://www.tydirium.net

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2009-07-28 11:15 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 11:48 am   Permalink

Thank YOU! Love that Sophia Loren pic. And I remember that post on Tiki Comic covers, it sure had a bunch of great ones in it!

Looking forward to this mass of Moai imagery.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 12:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-28 11:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank YOU! Love that Sophia Loren pic. And I remember that post on Tiki Comic covers, it sure had a bunch of great ones in it!

Many of the comics pics you have reposted appear in the book - but of course I have the interiors too, not just the covers. Had to go that extra mile... the comics thread was posted AFTER I tracked down many of those comics, so it spoiled my "scoop"!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 1:44 pm   Permalink

Hate when that happens... Of course, these images are just ink on paper until they are put into some CONTEXT to the theme and the times ....which will be done by YOU!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 1:51 pm   Permalink

I have been busting ass to live up to that very expectation.

It is amazing, the more I dig, the more I uncover.
It is endless.

Just yesterday I caused Gary, the designer to strangle me* when I asked to insert new text into a finished page, after I discovered that a planetoid near Pluto is named after the Rapa Nui creator god, Makemake, who I had been discussing in the chapter about Rapa Nui mythology.... which segues into MODERN myths about Rapa Nui, such as THOR comics taking place on Easter Island, which were first printed just six months after THOR Heyerdahl published Aku Aku... which implies that Jack Kirby was a Heyerdahl fan......

The connections are fascinating!

* = (actually Gary is the most patient guy in history; my neck is intact)

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 2:08 pm   Permalink

My previous post reminds me of a quack theory that I came up with, which is not in the book. This is how writing books drives a man crazy and warps his brain.
You'll all thank me later for NOT putting this in the book!

Maybe Erich von Daniken will borrow it - he can have it, haha.

Here we go:

Now that Pluto is no longer a planet, we have eight planets left. If we disocunt the Earth, there are seven planets, which can correspond to the seven continents of the Earth:

Mercury = Australia (remote and hot)
Neptune = Antarctica (remote and cold)
Jupiter = Asia (the largest)
Mars = Africa (the first visited by humans)
Saturn = Europe (close to Asia/Jupiter) and made of many parts (rings/nations).
Uranus and Venus are North and South America, but you'll have to shoehorn those into my theory somehow, I haven't figured it out yet.

Anyway, that leaves the Kuiper Belt objects to represent the Pacific islands - small, remote, distant from the others, and floating on their own, far away.

Makemake is Easter Island, obviously, Haumea is clearly Hawai'i (the planetoid was named for a Hawiian goddess), and Sedna, Orcus, Quaoar, Varuna, and Pluto represent other Pacific island groups (you pick).

So, those of you who believe that Easter Island was colonized from space or that the Rapanui people had extraterrestrial help in building the moai (um, they didn't, sorry), you can now point to the alien's exact sphere of origin: Makemake, which naturally became the name of the Rapanui creator god.

Right-o, now back to reality, and Big Stone Head news!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 2:30 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to read about that whole genre of "Moais-are-from-outer-space" popularized by Daeniken. I love those kind of wacky theories.

Did you do a whole chapter on that, or do you weave it through the book?

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 2:54 pm   Permalink

There is a chapter on how Daniken and Heyerdahl are the "missing links" between serious scientific study of Easter Island, and of pop culture.

They were both serious about their investigations, and they were perhaps the two men who made the masses most aware of the moai.

However, in both cases their science is questioned by other scientists.

But we can not discount the impact of Kon Tiki, Aku Aku, Chariots of the Gods and In Search of Ancient Gods in burning the image of the moai into the global conciousness, even if the authors had their facts wrong.

Read all about it in Chapter Five!

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-28 3:03 pm   Permalink

by GROG

by Squid

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 8:19 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I'll buy that thumb drive, JT!

BIG STONE HEAD!

Your planet corolation is very interesting.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-29 07:13 am   Permalink

I was led to believe that Moais originated from inside barrels of rum.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-29 07:44 am   Permalink

I admit I have gained weight with age, but to be compared with a rum barrel...!?

...but after this hilarious interlude, back to BIG STONE HEAD!

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-29 09:24 am   Permalink

BIG STONE HEAD!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 02:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-29 09:24, little lost tiki wrote:
BIG STONE HEAD!

As one who has journeyed and touched the navel of the universe, let me tell you Rapa Nui the most amazing place. Easter Island is a place that changed me as a person.

The air is sweet and the mana is strong everywhere on the tiny speck in the middle of the ocean. The caves were numerous and small. Orango, the bridman cult's sacred place was mystical and will forever hold a story yet untold. Tahitian money changed at the bank and speaking with that guy that's on all the specials... Ya know the guy that found the coral eyes... he's famous. I stayed at the bed and breakfast at Pantu's. He also ran the candy store in Hangaroa town...

OH WAIT, I DIGRESS...

BIG STONE HEAD

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-04-24 15:09 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation