FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » the Big Stone Head thread!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
the Big Stone Head thread!
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 11:21 am   Permalink

I was going to talk about Max Ernst. There's his collage works exhibited at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris right now. Really cool. I enjoyed it. Especially the Moai ones of course.
By the way, the Musée d'Orsay also have a few Gauguin and lots of the Impressionist paintings of course.

Here's the link in english to his collage presentation :

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/events/exhibitions/in-the-musee-dorsay/exhibitions-in-the-musee-dorsay-more/article/les-collages-de-max-ernst-20484.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=649&cHash=bad29b67fc

[ This Message was edited by: virani 2009-09-12 11:23 ]

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 10:06 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2009-11-20 08:57 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 08:24 am   Permalink

Just paid and downloaded my copy yesterday
and lemme tell you!
it's a Beautiful thing!
Soooo many images to pore over
as well as an informative,enjoyable text!
Just got the first chapter done and
was overwhelmed at the great design,flow,and eye-candy on practically every page!
great job,James!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 3:20 pm   Permalink

Hi, I was wondering if the mugs had been sent out yet? If so, are they being sent from CA or Chicago?

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 08:33 am   Permalink

Hi everyone

Here's the status with the mugs:

Tiki Farm has delayed delivery of the mugs to me.

I am waiting for them patiently, and I hope those of you who ordered them will do the same.

As of today, they still haven't left Asia, so it looks like a Thanksgiving-ish delivery at this point.

The nanosecond I have them in-hand, they'll be passed on to those waiting for them.

Thanks for your orders!

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2009-10-21 13:20 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Megalodon

Posted: 2009-10-21 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-12 11:21, virani wrote:
I was going to talk about Max Ernst. There's his collage works exhibited at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris right now. Really cool. I enjoyed it. Especially the Moai ones of course.
By the way, the Musée d'Orsay also have a few Gauguin and lots of the Impressionist paintings of course.

Here's the link in english to his collage presentation :

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/events/exhibitions/in-the-musee-dorsay/exhibitions-in-the-musee-dorsay-more/article/les-collages-de-max-ernst-20484.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=649&cHash=bad29b67fc

Oh, wow, cool! Max Ernst is one of my favorite artists. Thanks for the link. I love his paintings especially, he was way out there.

Re: hardcopies vs. e-books. FWIW, there are a number of printers these days that print books ridiculously cheap, with no minimum orders (ah, the wonders of the digital era, when expensive negatives and printing plates are no longer required).

A buddy of mine had a small batch of books printed through Catawba Publishing, and they only cost $5 apiece. They look great, they're about 8.5" x 11", 200 pages or so, with excellent printing (the book was all graphics, with lots of halftones). The cover is on thick glossy stock paper in full color...unfortunately the interior printing can only be in black and white at that price.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

I've never seen a book offered on a jump drive before, very interesting idea! The cover and interior sample pages look great! I plan to order one soon, good luck with it.

Re: the Stone-Head comic covers. I'm a newbie, and missed that thread. I'm a big comic fan, and am a big fan of the artist who drew most of those covers, Jack Kirby. Kirby is considered the 'King of Comics', because he drew more comic stories and created more characters than anyone else.

He was fascinated with the Moai statues, in his stories they often turned out to be aliens with their bodies buried in the ground. I believe he drew his first story featuring them in the late 1950s, and he'd return to that theme from time to time for the rest of his career. I am a proud owner of a page of original art by him from the last story he wrote and drew which featured the Moai, which he did in 1985. (it was one of the very last comic books he ever drew).

The mugs look great, I will be ordering one. One ebay I recently scored a Moai lamp, its green and cast in a semi-translucent material, with a small light bulb inside. It looks great lit up in a dark room.

When I first saw this thread, I thought it said "The Big Stoned Head Thread" and I thought it was about my cousin.

[ This Message was edited by: Megalodon 2009-10-21 11:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Megalodon 2009-10-21 11:47 ]

View Profile of Megalodon Send a personal message to Megalodon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 11:45 am   Permalink

Iorana everyone!

Tiki Farm told me today, that after many delays on their end, they will finally be receiving the BSH mugs about ten days from now, and will then be passing them on to me.

Right now my target ship date is during the week leading up to Thanksgiving.

Thanks for your patience to those who pre-ordered,and the rest of you, get those PayPal accounts fired up, because the last few dozen unaccounted for mugs will be ready-to-ship very soon.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-08 09:56 am   Permalink

JACK KIRBY does ROCK!
Thanks James,for including him and his art in your book!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 7:55 pm   Permalink

Hi

The first wave of mug pre-orders has shipped (December 2)!

The second wave goes out tomorrow (December 4)!
(it is nearly impossible to bring 100 boxed mugs to the post office simultaneously!).

If you have ordered a mug to date, it should be in your hands some time next week - it is on its way.

Thumb-drive eBooks, as always, are shipping immediately upon order!

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2009-12-03 14:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2009-12-03 14:06 ]

Krisdrama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-22 9:47 pm   Permalink

Yay! I can't wait to get my hot little hands on that mug! Love the book and your lecture at Oasis, James. Well done!

View Profile of Krisdrama Send a personal message to Krisdrama  Email Krisdrama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-06 08:21 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2010-11-22 21:17 ]

martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-03 11:10 pm   Permalink

Abebooks.com (which has to be the largest database of used books in the universe) has Easter Island books being profiled for easter - see below for the titles.
And here's a video featuring Wonder Woman having a fight to the death on Easter Island
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Terw61hSWf4&playnext_from=TL&videos=38DusvPnRVs

mysteries of easter island, Maziere, Francis

island of death, Wolff, Werner

Islands of Secrets, Machowski, Jacek

Island at the Center of the World, Englert Father Sebastian

Aku Aku, Heyerdahl

THE WEB OF EASTER ISLAND
Wandrei, Donald

Rapa Nui, Picker, Fred

Rediscovering Easter Island: How History Is Invented
Kathy Pelta

The Mystery of Easter Island
Katherine Routledge

Island at the End of the World: The Turbulent History of Easter Island
Steven Roger Fischer

Easter Island: Giant Stone Statues Tell of a Rich and Tragic Past
Caroline Arnold

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Helvetiki wrote...(In tiki finds)

About two years ago i bought this wooden Moai figure on a flea market in Basel / Switzerland.

and I recently found this picture of Sophia Loren with the "premio Moai" (or Moai award) on the cover of a magazine from Chile.

My Moai figure looks very similar an has the same size, only the base is missing, but there are remnants of glue where the base was.
Probably a copy of "premio Moai" as a souvenir...?

How cool, eh JT?

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-22 9:20 pm   Permalink

This Sophia Loren image, in much better quality, is included inside Big Stone Head.

I love this shot a lot!
Finding it was so exciting.

There are also some reproductions from the inside of the magazine in BSH.

Last few mugs are left, and I have the thumb drives back in stock.

Holiday shoppers, now is the time!

Get my newest book, Big Stone Head at:
www.bigstonehead.com

For Tiki Road Trip, Left Orbit Temple, global travelogues, and more, visit: www.tydirium.net

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2010-11-22 21:21 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 3:37 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-11-22 21:20, tikibars wrote:

Holiday shoppers, now is the time!

I agree. Big Stone Head is a fine read. I am happy to own a thumb drive.

on the current affairs tic...

Trouble on Rapa Nui

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation