FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Beach Fest, Long Beach, sat and sun 22nd 23rd
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Beach Fest, Long Beach, sat and sun 22nd 23rd
Krisdrama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 09:36 am   Permalink

I'll be here Sunday! Going to try and catch the Smoking Menehunes, too!
It's good to know I'm not the only one with Tiki Oasis withdrawls!

View Profile of Krisdrama Send a personal message to Krisdrama  Email Krisdrama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 09:52 am   Permalink

I didn't make it yesterday,
just too wiped out from Oasis still,
and had to go to a Gumbo party at 5 pm.

somebody there at the Party said they went to the tiki fest,
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it.

I wont be able to make it today, so I guess I will have to take their word.
but Crazy Al is there, at least go and see him, then leave.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-23 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-23 09:52, bigtikidude wrote:
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it.

The worst??? SoccerTiki and I thought it was so much better than last year. Representing the TC World at the festival is Crazy Al, Swampfire, Stacey with her Happy Chi Jewelery, and Smokin Tiki. Lots of other vendors with Hawaiian Goods too. The entertainment was great...Music & Dancers all day long. We even saw Bong on stage
The weather today in Long Beach is beautiful!!! If you want to have some fun in the sun come on down

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 10:35 am   Permalink

sorry, I was just going by what I heard,
they said 10 booths of teriyaki chicken, and barely any artists.

I'm sure that could be an exaggeration.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-23 10:35, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry, I was just going by what I heard,
they said 10 booths of teriyaki chicken, and barely any artists.
I'm sure that could be an exaggeration.
Jeff(btd)

Thanks for being a constant source of happiness and optimism
for us ALL,Jeff!
Your posts always contain encouragement and true ohana...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 10:42 am   Permalink

oops!
forgot the sarcasm font....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 10:55 am   Permalink

the flower guy was there too-nice stuff, good prices...biggest tiki fest for a few years...good art...good food...good hula...great sounds...don't stay home

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 10:04 pm   Permalink

We had a really good time at the tiki beach-fest today too. We opted out yesterday because it was raining in the morning where we were, but I'm glad we gave it a shot today, 'cause we were a little skeptical after reading the negative feedback that Jeff "BTD" received.

It was all blue skies and a nice breeze today, and the atmosphere was great. Lot's of people-watching, and dog-watching too, as the event is near or at the "dog zone" part of the beach. Didn't see Jason from Smokin Tikis, but we did get to visit with Doug Horne of Swamp Fire Lounge and Stacey from Happy Chi Jewelry, and did some swell shopping with both. Picked up some of Crazy Al's earrings too, before heading to Buster's Beach House for the Smokin Menehunes show (great time there as well, but more on that in their thread!)

SIGH. Back to reality now....at least until Mike's B-day party at DTB next weekend.

View Profile of Tiki Kitty Send a personal message to Tiki Kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-23 11:28 pm   Permalink

My wife and me went to the fest today and, as Tikikitty said, the weather was beautiful and it was a fine day to escape from Burbank for the afternoon. Based on what we read from the flyer, we really weren't expecting to see much of the tiki we're used to seeing so we weren't too disappointed. But the people we spoke to at all the vending booths were very friendly, the entertainment was great and I was able to pick up two of Crazy Al's new Bone Glaze mugs, which was definitely the high light of the day.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 08:35 am   Permalink

We went down for an hour or so...saw some cute little kids hula dancing, ate some teriyaki, saw Crazy Al's Tiki Museum. I had been in past years so I knew what to expect..they should take the "Tiki" out of the title and call it Hawaiian or Pacific Islander Beach Festival. But we had a good time, I picked up a sweet Hinano beer t-shirt and a fishhook pendant, the ladies bought some stuff, and we rode on home.

P.S. why was Hinano sponsoring the event, but there was no Hinano (or beer period) to be had? Damn liquor laws.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happychi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-24 09:49 am   Permalink

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and said hello! Swamp Fire and I plan on doing it again next year (just Saturday though). Hopefully the promoter will make it a little more "Tiki" and maybe add some surf and exotica bands for next years line-up.

View Profile of happychi Send a personal message to happychi  Goto the website of happychi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
slapbass
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 10:38 am   Permalink

I went yesterday and had alot of fun..Beautiful weather and alot more vendors than in the past..
Your right all the food was all teriayaki..
The entertainment was great..What can be wrong with 40 retired people playing ukulele and singing classics..Kekei's dancing..All different types of hula and Tahitian dancing..
I liked last year when they had tables with umbrellas and chairs better than sitting in the sand though...
All in all nothing bad to report here..

[ This Message was edited by: slapbass 2009-08-24 10:40 ]

View Profile of slapbass Send a personal message to slapbass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 11:11 am   Permalink

Photos from the Long Beach Press Telegram

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-20 11:42, happychi wrote:
Doug (Swamp Fire Lounge) and I are going to vend on Saturday as well. Looks like it should be alot of fun!
I've still got tons of cool tiki stuff left to sell!

http://www.happychijewelry.com

Mrs. Mongoloid is stoked on her watch, she wore it proudly to the Smokin Menehunes show and had to flaunt it to all the other wahines. Dougs art on the wristband makes this buggah always set to Hawaiian Time. Always happy to support the people that bring us smiles!!!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-24 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-23 09:52, bigtikidude wrote:
I didn't make it yesterday,....

and said it was the worst they had ever seen it.....
but Crazy Al is there, at least go and see him, then leave.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks for the mention Jeff! but wow.. for i guy who was not there....

in fact it was the best fest ever if you were a Pacific Islander family that enjoys celebrating your culture... as skewed as it might be by Mainland traditions...
Local guy complained about the noise and non relevance of 'Hollywood' hula etc...
but it had the biggest stage and most performers as well as audience!

the TBF started as a Hula event and brought on board Tiki people with the success of Oasis. However the Hula community was not to enthusiastic about the change and many vendors are burned out after Oasis. The TBF was forced to move to the weekend after Oasis in it's 6th year? As for Tiki Beach?? the organizers will have to deal with that, but after 9 years you should know what to expect from the Long Beach festival and not project your own cultural desires upon someone else and their party plans..... (Tiki folks have quite a bad rep. for this)

considering all... I did better then expected also and enjoy being one of the only Tiki vendors.... the museum has only one relic ... me...it seems to be there every year... THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT and coming by to get something minus the shipping and saying hello.... rent is paid! nice!!!

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2009-08-24 11:46 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation