FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Claq50 Two carves Finished. 04/21/11
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Claq50 Two carves Finished. 04/21/11
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 9:34 pm   Permalink

Looking good on this guy lots to work with still.
I use Flexcut. Buy something that is Quality.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 1:18 pm   Permalink

Finally finished the second tiki. The stain i used came out a little darker then I anticipated, but i think it still looks pretty cool. Now gonna have to start work on the next one!

View Profile of claq50 Send a personal message to claq50      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 7:26 pm   Permalink

cool stuff claq50! keepem comin all these guys are sweet! and even w lots of experiance w staining it almost always seems to come out darker!! lol! cheers!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 2:33 pm   Permalink

Yea, I think next one i will try to use a lighter stain or possibly just oil it. I was also thinking of torching one, but still not to sure how to do it so i might wait. Now to start work on the next one.

View Profile of claq50 Send a personal message to claq50      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 6:31 pm   Permalink

aloha! oil is cool but if the tiki's goin outside its realy not the best. as far as burnin the cuts use a small propane torch and burn your cuts it prob wont go all the way on deep cuts. i use a homade black stain mixed of black enamel and mineral spirits/paint thinner applied w a small brush and rubbed w my finger or cloth etc... to get it even. as for burnin a whole tiki a roofing torch used VERY sparingly on the entire outside of the tiki then LIGHTLY sanded to blend and even.if needed repeat to get desired look. hope this helps! cheers !

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 4:16 pm   Permalink

I have a small MAPP torch, ill try that out on my next tiki. What do you use to seal your tikis? I live in south florida and rain is a pretty common thing down here so before i place these outdoors i want to make them as waterproof as possible. Ive heard deck sealer works good. Is this true?

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 5:09 pm   Permalink

claq50! a mapp torch is perfect for lines and larger dark areas around eyes in nostrils etc... as for sealer i use spar urethane at least two coats in either satin or semi gloss depending on finish shine. as for deck sealer that works pretty well if you soak it dwn good and dont forget the bottom!!! sealer will give you a very natural look and you can get it w stain in it but i think it would go to places you realy dont want stain so.. it could work well espescialy in clear but remember deck sealer states it needs to be recoated every 6 months to a year. i too live in south florida and i have had great luck w spar urethane and marine urethane also,spar bein a little cheaper. hope this helps and holla anytime if i can help i wld be glad to and there is a wealth of info on this site as well!!! cheers!

claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 6:26 pm   Permalink

Yeah there is a ton of info on here. So far ive gone from never carving before to actually getting two tikis done. Thanks for the info on the urethane. Im gonna go out this weekend and pick it up. Ill post pics after.

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 7:21 pm   Permalink

no prob dude!!! anytime just holla! cant wait to see some mo!! cheers!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 06:23 am   Permalink

Claq50, Excellent stuff and Especially for only doing 2 tikis so far? Man you are gonna be a Natural, just let it Flow!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-18 7:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks. I plan on doing alot, hopefully i get to the skill level that some people on here are. There are definitly alot of impressive work to be seen.

claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 06:21 am   Permalink

Started to put the urethane down. So far looks really good. I'll post pics soon. Also work on the third tiki is going good.

claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 06:10 am   Permalink

Put the urathane finish on it. The pic isnt the greatest quality, so ill try to post a better one later.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 4:28 pm   Permalink

Right On! you are on a roll. Nice for #2

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 4:59 pm   Permalink

good deal!!! he looks sweeet!!! whatcha got in da bckrnd!? he looks great and flashes can be pesky w a shine! cheerz!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation