FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKIYAKI 2nd Semi-Annual Lodge Night and Swap Meet ! - OCT 10th @ Mayflower Club - FREE SHOT GLASS !
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
TIKIYAKI 2nd Semi-Annual Lodge Night and Swap Meet ! - OCT 10th @ Mayflower Club - FREE SHOT GLASS !
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 12:42 pm   Permalink

It's hard to be humble when you have a Official Membership Card from The Mystic Order Of Tikiyaki in your wallet.
I really enjoyed the elderly members of the Mayflower Club dancing and loving the Tikiyaki Orchestra as much as us, Tiki Kitty told me she heard a little frail British woman exclaim to her friend; " I didn't know the Fez came from Hawaii".
What a blast, great music, good friends, my newest best friends, Top Cat and Tiki Kitty!
Sigh...can we all do it again tonight?

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-11 1:42 pm   Permalink

Another wonderful Lodge Meeting at the mayflower.

Loyal Lodge brothers and sisters, thanx SO much for making our second annual Lodge Meeting and Swap meet a great time and big success.

Thank you for supporting the vendors, it was nice to see so many people walking away with cool stuff (including the band members!) and thanx to the vendors for making working so hard and making this such a fun event.

For those of you who were at Lodge Night 1, hopefully you noticed how many more Mayflower members came out for this one. Always great to see the older folks mixing with us young (sort of) people and having a great time. Sausage rolls, bangers in a bun, mai tais, jungle jetsetters....a good time indeed.

Happy Birthday to Big Tiki Dude and Amanda from Nelson's Tiki Hut.

It was also great to see Witchdoctor Crazy Al pay a house call to us onstage and add some of his voodoo coconut rhythms. Good stuff.

Also, thanx to my fellow Tikiyaki brothers who always make the gig so worthwhile by playing their hearts out.

One thing....We played one long concert style set as opposed to our normal 2 shorter sets. I'd love to hear people's opinions on that. Tho' it is a bit more tiring for the band, I really think it was better show wise. What did you guys think ?

Anyway, thanx again to everyone who made this a great night !

Jim

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 2:04 pm   Permalink

*********************************************************************************
Quote:

On 2009-10-11 12:42, bananabobs wrote:
Tiki Kitty told me she heard a little frail British woman exclaim to her friend; " I didn't know the Fez came from Hawaii".

**********************************************************************************

Actually BB, that was something we read that another member had overheard at the 1st lodge meeting (I know, easy for things to get lost in translation over the intoxicating music and potent Mai Tai's last night).

We too loved seeing the Mayflower members mixing with the Tiki natives, and absolutely enjoyed chatting with you and Jeff.

Do I hear anyone for Monthly Lodge Meetings? We're in!

P.S. - In response to tikiyaki's request for feedback, I enjoyed the way the set was played very much (concert style). You TO boys are slaves to our entertainment, and we thank you for it.

View Profile of Tiki Kitty Send a personal message to Tiki Kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bewitched By Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-11 2:10 pm   Permalink

I liked the one long concert style set and so did the friends I brought. So that is 6 votes for ya!

However we wouldn't want exhaustion to compromise the health or performance of the band members in any way!!!! Just have a Dan-O's Day Off after the set and it should perk you right up!

View Profile of Bewitched By Tiki Send a personal message to Bewitched By Tiki  Email Bewitched By Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-11 5:58 pm   Permalink

What a great night! My wife & me and our friends that joined us had the best time, from meeting some TC ohana face to face, to cutting up with the bartenders (who loved to tell my wife VERY "blue" jokes!), and of course joining the Mystic Order of Tikiyaki and finally having the chance to see the Tikiyaki Orchestra live all was the ultimate tiki experience. And let's not forget all the great artists & artisans offering up so much good stuff as well (just to let you know, Chris, I'm typing this right now by the light of my Flying Saucer Tiki Lamp). So many talented people there last night spreading so much poly-pop joy made an already wonderful evening even better.

I have to send out a very special thank you to Nelsonstikihut, Iokona Ki'i, Tiki Ray, Grog, and Jim & Marty for all the encouraging words for the sneak peek of my upcoming unveiling. It meant a lot, gentlemen! Also, Happy Birthday BigTikiDude and thanks for sharing your birthday cake.

My wife & I already miss you fine folks, so let's all do this again real soon!

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 6:48 pm   Permalink

Re: 1 long set vs. 2 sets.
well I would love 2 full Hour sets, with a 10 or 15 min break in the middle.
But.... I know that when you play 2 sets, that some people leave at the break,
but there was also people leaving last night at the 1 hour 15 min mark. before you finished, so that doesn't always guarantee that people will stay.

I know that some people can only take music in small doses.
I'm a sucker for more is better.
so maybe I'm not the right person to ask.

Thanks again to everybody for the warm B-day wishes.
it really meant a lot.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nelsonstikihut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-11 8:49 pm   Permalink

Hey guys! Mandy says thanks for all the great birthday wishes! We had an AMAZING time last night. Thanks SO much for the warm response from everyone! I think this event needs to happen more often! It was a BLAST!

View Profile of nelsonstikihut Send a personal message to nelsonstikihut  Email nelsonstikihut Goto the website of nelsonstikihut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-12 12:08 am   Permalink

Here're some pictures from last night's Lodge Meeting...

And finally, my lovely wife proudly displaying our membership cards...

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-12 09:46 am   Permalink

What a great show! I feel like I'm stealing when I can see you guys for ten bucks.
I felt so bad I bought three copies of Jungle Jetsetter.
As to a break or no break I don't think it really matters. I would go with whatever keeps the band in the pocket.
Thank you for the shot glass..nice touch and I really thought the Detroit Rock City was COOL.
Looking forward to the next show at.........

Will SOMEONE please bring some nice size quality tikis to sell at the next show. Thank You

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krisdrama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 12:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting the pics Mel and Tobor! I'm bummed I couldn't make it, had to work the whole darn weekend! Looks like there was some great stuff to be had! I'll just have to wait for the next one:(

View Profile of Krisdrama Send a personal message to Krisdrama  Email Krisdrama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nelsonstikihut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-12 3:45 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to share my Eric October painting I got for my Birthday on Saturday! Such an AMAZING artist and I don't think it could have gone any better in my hallway! THANK YOU!!!!!

View Profile of nelsonstikihut Send a personal message to nelsonstikihut  Email nelsonstikihut Goto the website of nelsonstikihut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 12:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-12 15:45, nelsonstikihut wrote:
I just wanted to share my Eric October painting I got for my Birthday on Saturday! Such an AMAZING artist and I don't think it could have gone any better in my hallway! THANK YOU!!!!

Aloha Mandy!

A big mahalo to you and Chris for giving the Hitchhiking TIkis a great home! Looks like the painting was made for that wall!

The work you guys do is outta this world cool! I just need to sell a few more paintings and maybe I can afford one of those awesome tiki saucer lamps... if you can keep 'em in stock!

Oh, and what an incredible night! Another fabulous performance from the Tikiyaki Orchestra!

As for the one set or two question, I like the schmooze time you get between sets (maybe it even helps swap meet sales) but either way works fer me! (was that THE most unhelpful response possible?)

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 08:33 am   Permalink

What a wonderful event to come home to: Just the right size of venue, not to big or too small, great Tiki toys and great Exotica!
In a hidden-away mid-century A-frame,

with some of the Mayfair regulars joining in,

Jim and his men sounded better than ever,

I love listening to Marty Lush's vibes, simply: Lush! And the great Tikiyaki Logo drum:

And here's the artist who carved it: Buzzy! (with Tiki Ray).

Being a drummer himself, Buzzy knows how to create drums. He had two smaller versions, which I think would make great Christmas gifts for any Tikiphile. And in that vein: Tobunga's art and wares are as unique and individual gifts as you can get, I loved the Tiki Bob bags,

I gifted myself that Rapa Nui map And I splurged at Bongofury's stand:

After just having had that revelation about the Luau Hut owners owning Island House here on TC the day before, I was thinking I would like one of those cooky Luau Hut logo mugs, an Voila!, there it was:

Plus, who else has DVDs of my favorite B-movie titles, "I sailed to Tahiti with an All Girl Crew" and "One Way Wahine". I even found the esoteric "Bop Girl goes Calypso" in his stash!

Then there was the always crazy Crazy Al with his ceramic masterpieces...

And Hottiki's cool display

...and Oookoolady's threads were perused by young and old:

..and the many talented artists already mentioned here. Even Dave and Sue form Hot Rod Tiki came, all the way from England to a British social club!

Grog in appropriate lodge wear greets Dave.

All in all a perfect coming home party!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 10:06 am   Permalink

I just wanted to say Thanks to the Tikiyaki Orchestra for another exciting evening; I met new faces last Friday night - I hope to see all of you again - the next Lodge Meeting perhaps?

Thanks goes to Mel for her awesome photographs, TikiMango for sharing his bone pendants with us lucky west coasters and of course THANKS! to all Ohana stopping by, talking and buying stuff from me...I hope your purchase finds a cozy spot within your home. Thanks too to the one or two of you tikiphiles buying me and Mel drinks...how nice was that?

Such a beautiful way to spend an evening. The Mayflower Lodge was in full exotica swing for a few brief hours last Saturday evening.

Hey T.O. guys!! - A live recorded set Mayflower style can't be too far off in the future can it?

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 10:28 am   Permalink

That was a great night! I enjoyed the one-long-set, as it really set the mood...though two shorter sets still works. It was great, after attending a number of Tikiyaki shows, to finally get "sworn in" to the lodge (always better than being sworn at!).

Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation