FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A Collection of Cannibals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
A Collection of Cannibals
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-16 10:31 pm   Permalink

Just to follow up and confirm:

You were right, folks, most of the Disney Tangaroa Babies were inspired by the mini figures on the body of the this unique Tiki from Rurutu. Here's the best photo of it I could find on the net, you can recognize the Tiki baby on the right on it:

He's one of the treasures of the British Museum, here's some more info:

"There is debate about which of the Rurutu gods the figure represents. John Williams identifies it as A'a. The god is depicted in the process of creating other gods and men: his creations cover the surface of his body as thirty small figures. The figure itself is hollow, a removable panel on its back reveals a cavity which originally contained twenty-four small figures. These were removed and destroyed in 1882. Contemporary Rurutuans explain that the exterior figures correspond to the kinship groups that make up their society, and propose a number of theories about the relationship between the figure and Christianity. It is carved from hardwood, probably from pua (Fagraea sp)."

Here's one more example showing another form of the head-holding type Tiki, a Solomon Islands canoe prow carving, this one being associated with head hunting:

But back to the "Tahitian Cannibal Carvings" at hand:
Here's a fine vintage rendering of the Eater, from a menu, really showing the "pulling out from between the legs" concept...

...and a circa 1940s illustration of the Trader Vic's Oakland store, showing the Catcher:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 11:49 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: boutiki 2009-09-17 11:50 ]

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 2:38 pm   Permalink

We still don't have the story behind the cannibals that Kate has acquired.
Where, how much etc. etc ? please spill .I know the cannibals I posted on TC
that were on ebay were never sold and auction was closed .Wonder if all the
comments from Sven killed the sale, since he thought they were Indo knock offs.
Kates say 1923 on the bottom...very old and very coooool!

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 4:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-17 11:49, boutiki wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: boutiki 2009-09-17 11:50 ]

Definite lathe marks on the bottoms of Dukes cannibals -Sven .
Does this mean that they were not hand carved, and turned on lathe ?

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-17 5:27 pm   Permalink

More of the Tahitan tourist cannibal as seen in the 1962 film "Tiara Tahiti"

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 8:33 pm   Permalink

Great shots Ron.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 12:08 am   Permalink

Great find, Ron. I remember seeing a big Crane style Cannibal in a movie with John Hurt...

Here's a picture of my Cannibals on my mantle piece, with a Mai Kai coaster ( hiding the missing leg of the "victim" which was chewed off by a previous owner's dog!) and a three piece Cannibal pendant by Purple Jade. And yes, mine do have lathe marks on them:

..so they must have been mass-produced fairly early on, mine look old. Kate's do NOT have lathe marks, they must be hand-carved, from Tahiti, from the 20s - in excellent condition for that age.

Here's another pic, versions of the Full Belly one (?) and the Catcher at Trader Vic's. I tried to lighten and sharpen it to see them better. These must be Tahitian tourist pieces, too.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-09-18 00:12 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 03:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-15 12:54, bigbrotiki wrote:

And House of Ku: You OWN that shirt? And you know Spence Weaver's granddaughter? He had the pick of all the top shelf tourist carvings in his day!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-09-15 12:56 ]

Yes and yes Actually his daughters, not grand daughter...had to verify Some of them picks...

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 08:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-18 03:03, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

Love this bowl!

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 10:36 am   Permalink

Does the lathe mark have anything to do with th ecarving, or is it simply a remnant of the original piece of wood being turned to make it round?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-27 06:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-14 18:48, Tiki-Kate wrote:
This weekend I purchased this set. It's one of those things that doesn't even make it onto your Holy Grail list because you can't imagine ever coming across something like this.

I'm late to this party... but, Holy Cow! FABULOUS score Kate! AMAZING once-in-a-lifetime find!! YOU Go Girl!!!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-27 10:35 am   Permalink

Here is the back of a diner and drink menu combo I just got from the Luau in Beverly Hills.

The cannibals are thanking you for dining with them and hope you return soon!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-27 11:02 am   Permalink

Congrats to a classic menu, DC.

Again, funny how the "Asian eyes" mistake by the Don the Beachcomber menu artist was continued thru the decades, and then even got transferred back onto carvings.

meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-28 11:12 am   Permalink

I just ran across this on ebay. I'm assuming it's not a TC member because of the Maori description. I'm curious if this is a realistic price?(can't afford anyway - better off trying my own carve)

Vintage Maori Tikis - The Luau Tiki Bar Beverly Hills
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Maori-Tikis-The-Luau-Tiki-Bar-Beverly-Hills_W0QQitemZ230405169319QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a537e0a7

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-28 11:12, meega wrote:

FOUR cannibals!?!?! That throws a monkeywrench in the "catcher-eater-digester" sequence!
In the pic above, it looks to be "eater-catcher-taster-buttseks"!
But I'll bet it's actually two incomplete sets, cannibals 1 and 3 being eaters, and 2 and 4 being catchers.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation