FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki A Collection of Cannibals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
A Collection of Cannibals
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 8:48 pm   Permalink

Doesn't the Jardin Tiki in Montreal also have a very large set of carved cannibals? I wonder if they came from the Kon Tiki?

(photo by tikifish)

Great Minds Drink Alike

(*edit* just realized this has already been posted, but it's still cool to look at )

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2010-01-04 20:51 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 9:14 pm   Permalink

___________________________________________________________________________________
Bigbro wrote- "We-hell, any opinions on this theory? If it existed, why was there no mention or photograph of it? And what was in the cauldron?
___________________________________________________________________________________

You have blueprints that show the altar. I would say, even with no photos, that this along with the resemblance to the matchbook art work etc. is proof enough that the alter/cauldron existed. If this was a promotional artist rendering I would say no not enough proof.

There usually is several blue prints of the same area for different reasons. One is made for the HVAC Electrical only and one just for the plumber. If you have these prints then they would show if the cauldron was wired for lights, gas jets beneath lava rocks for fire or plumbed for a water feature.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 4:50 pm   Permalink

Anyone have a idea on what a single tiki might go for??? I have a local shop that has a single eater for sale. I need to go back and see if it has turn marks or not but it looks like it could be old. aprox. 14-16" high. any thoughts?

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 9:35 pm   Permalink

There's a large version at an antique store in Kailua (Oahu)...

at least 2ft tall and Heavy....I think it was priced somewhere between $600-$800... I wanted to lift it up a bit to check for lathe chuck marks but it was wedged in the corner Aloha, Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-11 11:59 am   Permalink

Definitely old! That style of Cannibal reminds me strongly of the one in this 1940s rendering of the Trader Vic's store at Vic's in Oakland, the same elongated body:

That's a hefty, Tiki-in-Hawaiii price...but then again, you might never see another one like it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-11 3:32 pm   Permalink

Is this the place?

When we visited a few years ago, they had a terrific old 6' tall Ku (didn't even ask the price) and a maybe 1 1/2 ft Kava Kava man that I badly wanted to take home, but he had a very hefty price tag. The cannibal wasn't there then, but it's a beauty.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-11 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-11 15:32, GatorRob wrote:
Is this the place?

This is the sister store (wife's side), on the right of this shop, across the lane is the husbands side and the one with all the Tikis and Hawaiiana...a few nice gems but uniformly steep $$.... Freddie

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2010-01-25 01:53 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 11:41 pm   Permalink

From a vintage French postcard: "Tiki Marquisien"

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-12 11:46 pm   Permalink

He looks more like a pedophile than a cannibal.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-13 09:31 am   Permalink

Wow, it's really unclear whose penis that is there....

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-14 12:31 am   Permalink

That's what she said.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-15 04:30 am   Permalink

These are all old.
What happened to the fine young Cannibals?
Drives me crazy trying to find them.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-15 10:01 pm   Permalink

This one's for Kate.

This is a great find, Sabu! I have pondered over this image for many years, not because of its unusually realistic endowed-ness, but because it is a Cannibal carving in situ in a Tahitian marae!...at least that is what the caption to THIS photo...

... in Miroslav Stingl's 1985 book "Kunst der Suedsee" says. It was photographed (obviously a bit later than the postcard) at the Arahu Rahu marae in Tahiti, which was reconstructed in the mid-50s:

Since then, Tahitian processions and festivals have taken place at this marae every year:

But nowadays it is said to be a mostly tourist oriented performance place. The Tikis from the first renovation have since been replaced by spanking new ones:

..which in their design are actually closer to ancient Tahitian (and not Marquesan) carvings.

Nevertheless, if this marae's original reconstruction in the mid-century was done under the auspices of archeologists, would they have allowed tourist carvings on such an authentic site? The date of 1923 on Kate's Cannibal trio places the Cannibal design concept very close to a generation of Tiki carvers that still might have had carving tradition knowledge handed down to them from pre-contact generations.

Could it be possible that this carving ONLY survived in its tourist form, in the minds of old carvers, from before contact, because all its ancient examples had been destroyed? One can imagine that a "perverse" carving such as this would have been on top of the list of any missionaries determined to eradicate pagan imagery!

The one at Arahu Rahu is certainly a modern version :

..actually quite close to the one that Spence Weaver owned:

..but the Don the Beachcomber trio looks more blocky and primitive. Now anthropologists might argue that the linear thinking of the A-B-C sequence of Catcher-Eater-Full Belly is much more a Western way of thinking, but what about the Palau story boards? Why wouldn't Polynesians have done narrative sequences in carvings, then, to? And yes, ancestor carvings were mostly symbolic and sacred, but the Polynesians also did have an irreverent sense of humor. And last, perhaps just the Eater Cannibal existed as an ancient godhead, and the rest of the set was completed in tourist times by an inspired carver?

At this point, I doubt that the carver of that Tahitian marae cannibal is still alive, and unless a pre-contact Cannibal carving is discovered in some burial cave, my "missing link" theory will remain just that. But I like theories.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-15 22:03 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 02:31 am   Permalink

GatorRob... is this the guy??

When he first appeared, Kava Kava man was priced at $800... kinda special though...out of Paul Fujimoto's personal collection...

Found this a few months ago at the local swapmeet...

Looks like it could be a cannibal chopstick rest, aprox 2"l

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2010-01-25 01:56 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 09:49 am   Permalink

Mommie, why do they all wear red napkins around their hips ???

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation