FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-16 07:31 am   Permalink

Thanks Wendy! Winter is long and cold here so it is the perfect time to work on these projects. I'm going to try my hand at some diorama features. I haven't tried that before so it will be fun to test some new ideas.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-16 08:55 am   Permalink

U rock bruddah...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-16 10:21 pm   Permalink

uncle trav that would be so over the top with the sizes required. WOW, I hope it works out. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-17 12:28 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to new stuff from you Trav. (Sorry about the 13 degrees )
"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-17 3:15 pm   Permalink

Yes! Uncle Trav back at his workbench! I can't wait to see some progress pics of some of your new ideas - inspire us please!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-19 4:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone. As always this will be a gradual process. This is the start of an attempt at diorama foliage. I'll post some progress pics as I go.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2014-11-19 16:55 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-03 4:34 pm   Permalink

Messing around with some techniques for my new diorama. Here is my first attempt at making foliage leaves. This is the first one. I need to paint and detail it to see how it will turn out. If it works out I'll make about thirty more to form a tree. Tons of tiny cuts after the shapes are glued to a very thin wire so they can be formed to different shapes. I thought I'd give a try at making the foliage instead of buying it from a hobby store.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-03 4:42 pm   Permalink

Next up hand made mini split bamboo. A mainstay of Tiki architecture. These flats will be used for walls and trim. In my other builds I have used full round pieces of real bamboo detailed wth segments I made with micro wire cutters. These are wood dowels carved and split to look like real bamboo.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-03 6:44 pm   Permalink

I like watching the master at work...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-04 06:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-03 18:44, hang10tiki wrote:
I like watching the master at work...

LOL. Thank you sir. I'm no master just a guy trying to escape the daily grind in miniature here are a couple more progress pics.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-04 6:22 pm   Permalink

I always enjoy your work Trav! Just a dumb question - wouldn't it be easier to start with various green papers instead of white when making foliage?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-05 06:49 am   Permalink

Well it's been a year since my last post on this thread. The diorama has been put on the backburner for now. A while back I found a nice miniature copper diving helmet for my home bar. I was just going to put it on the shelf and then I got inspired by the posts of tikiskip to turn the helmet into a small hanging lamp or maybe a table lamp. The first part of the process will be to age the copper to a nice patina. The wiring will be the easy part. I will post some pics of how it turns out.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2016-03-05 06:50 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-05 07:00 am   Permalink

He's back
This will be fun to watch

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-05 10:44 am   Permalink

Those make cool lights.
The one that Bongo fury I think it was with the radio active green color
made it even cooler.

I found a real one at a estate sale and had to wait all day for it, well when it
came up it went for like $300.00 and everybody thought that was sooo high.

Man you can't get a new small remake for cheap these days.

That looks like a nice one.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-05 2:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. I'm trying to decide which way to go with the patina. I could use various colors of water based paint and a topcoat sealer. I could go with the household cleaner and lemon juice route. Or I could go with the commercially made reactive paint way. Seems they all have pros and cons.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation