FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-05 4:07 pm   Permalink

Trav I say go natural as you can.
It will just get better and better.
Paint will flake.

That's why copper is so great, that color you get by just waiting.
And it's maintenance free.
Good luck!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-05 5:38 pm   Permalink

I agree that paint seems like a temporary choice. Commercial or home made reactive chemicals will probably give a more permanent result. Always love watching your projects Trav.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-05 5:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the input. I'm a sheet metal worker by trade and have worked with copper from time to time. The copper I usually install is new so the aging and patina take time. I have read of how to achieve both a blue and a green patina on copper but I'm not sure if I can get both on the same piece. Like all of my projects it will be a learning process which I enjoy.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-09 2:21 pm   Permalink

Well I have decided to go with a commercial reactive paint system. The cooper paint actually contains copper dust which when treated with the aging agent will oxidize the metal to create a patina. I bought both the green and blue patinas so this should be interesting. The first step was removing the old clear protective lacquer from the brass and copper to get it ready for the primer paint and activator. I used lacquer thinner and some elbow grease.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-09 4:08 pm   Permalink

This will be a good one.
Good luck.

Will post a picture of the light I put up outside years ago.
It has a great patina.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-09 7:43 pm   Permalink

Everything you do is so worth watching. This is something I didn't even know existed. I saw when you found this at the thrift shop with so many wonderful mugs. Now you are going to make it even more wonderful.

How fun, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-10 09:37 am   Permalink

Beautiful work on those tiki huts !! Real old school tech. Love em !!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-10 10:06 am   Permalink

Beautiful work on those tiki huts !! Real old school tech. Love em !!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-10 2:14 pm   Permalink

Alright
Can't wait to see this go good

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-11 05:28 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone!! I have done a test on the underside of the helmet and the patina looks like it will work well. After stripping the lacquer off the helmet I applied two coats of primer to the test area. Following the instructions I let the primer dry overnight. Next I applied a coat of the copper oxidizing paint and let that dry. The last step was to apply another coat of the copper paint and while it is still wet apply the green oxidizing solution. I dabbed the solution on with a small sponge to add some texture. The green patina started to appear in about ten minutes. I'm pretty happy the effect so far on the test area.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-12 06:06 am   Permalink

I have the mini helmet primed and ready for the copper reactive paint. I will do the brass parts with a mixture of the blue and green patinas as these would naturally age with different colors. I have done some reading on theses paints and folks have stated that the finish has lasted as long as seven years outdoors and still looks good. Mine will be indoors of course. When done the finish is stable and does not rub off when touched and seems to be a good product. The helmet has a small brass fitting on the back that is perfect for the wiring to pass through for the bulb socket. It also has a handy brass loop on top which I will use to hang the lamp. Fun little project so far.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-12 08:26 am   Permalink

Here's my light outside Trav.
Kinda a different treatment on the globe.

The globe was sprayed with glass frosting and then put outside for say two years.
Same with the copper patina just put it outside and got that color.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-12 10:03 am   Permalink

Thanks for the pics skip. I like that glass treatment. That's what I'm shooting for. I suppose my Michigan weather would age the hell out of the helmet if I hung it outside but I'm taking the quick way out

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-13 05:46 am   Permalink

I have applied the first coat of the copper reactive paint. The next step is another coat of copper paint and the oxidizing solution. No turning back now.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-13 08:32 am   Permalink

Lookin' good Trav!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation