FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Uncle Trav's miniature tiki huts....Small Paradise. Diving into a new project
Kabuddhabuddha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-10 2:02 pm   Permalink

Awesome, I'll give ya $ 5.00 for it?

View Profile of Kabuddhabuddha Send a personal message to Kabuddhabuddha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-10 2:28 pm   Permalink

Bood, you sure know how to tempt a guy

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-12 3:04 pm   Permalink

Hut number four is up for grabs here. Not an ebay auction. Please see the link for more info. Thanks.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39449&forum=12&0

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-12 9:12 pm   Permalink

Insanely cool. I want to live in it!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 05:53 am   Permalink

Well folks it's that time of year when work takes a nosedive for me. Been that way for a couple of years now so a new build is underway. This is just the beginning mock up. Using some new materials this time so as always it is a learn as I go process. Thanks for taking a look.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-07 07:31 am   Permalink

So very cool. Your detail and precision is wonderful. You have found your niche! Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-07 07:50 am   Permalink

Trav, that looks like the beginning of a Mai-Kai A-frame, an exceptional challenge!

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-07 09:59 am   Permalink

Trav, as attractive as "work slowdown" sounds I bet it's not all it's cracked up to be. Glad you're doing a new project, they always turn out so cool.
"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 10:11 am   Permalink

Just strolled through your thread. What a talent for making magical miniatures! I will look forwards to seeing more of your work...it's like little menehunes got together to start on a village.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 1:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Here is a pic of half of the ridge beam being glued up. It is being held down by a 12" framing square until it dries and then the same thing for the other side of the beam.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 07:52 am   Permalink

Here is my attempt at the bare bones structure of the A-frame. The A-frame is ten inches from end to end. Again this thing is small. The two pieces of wood I used for the ridge beam are only 1/16" thick and very fragile. Seems to be working out so far. Now I just have to decide what era to build the model as. As usual these are not meant to be exact detailed copies of original buildings just a fun project.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-10 05:19 am   Permalink

Have done a little more work on the back end of the A-frame for my attempt at a Mai Kai miniature. This is a shot of what will be the back of the building. I decided to go with a bit of a mix of the building's style over the years but I think it may turn out ok. The bare wood panels with be covered with the same type of thatch that I make for my huts.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-10 05:48 am   Permalink

Looks like it's working out Trav, gonna be awesome!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-13 05:38 am   Permalink

Thanks Mike. Construction is ongoing and like so many other projects here in Michigan we have ample time and a zero budget. The hardest part is waiting for the glue to dry. Next up is the skylights. I have ran through a couple of ways to do this and have settled on the one I think will work. Here is a progress shot. Now I have to figure out how to build out the wings on the sides. Thanks for taking a look.

_________"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2011-11-13 06:25 ]

umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-13 06:08 am   Permalink

Aloha uncle trav,
I'm so glad I found your thread again, I just love what you've done with the place!

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation