FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » In Search of Frank Bowers...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
In Search of Frank Bowers...
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 6:39 pm   Permalink

Let me tempt you some more. This is my view from my front yard overlooking the ocean. I have had many a Mai Tai's and Margarita's watching the sun set.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 11:38 pm   Permalink

Mucho Mahalos, Vato, that would be a fun excursion indeed!
....but I won't be back from my movie job in the Alps until mid July. Here's my view while on location :

And here is my view while I am prepping in Munich :

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-19 05:40 am   Permalink

If I may, I'd like to add to the comments here about Margaritas. I have, in the past two years, come to discover that with tequilas, just like rum, there are huge differences. Having discovered the finer Don Julio tequilas on a business trip, I was surprised how quickly I found myself making comparisons to my discovery many years ago of the differences between crappy and craftsmanship rums. I used to tell everyone I could not tolerate tequila. Then I found that there are truly good-tasting tequilas out there. Now I keep a bottle of Don Julio at home and share the discovery with others. I find the Don Julio brand is way better than the popular Patron brand which I really don't care for. They say Don Julio is "what the locals drink." I'd be interested in what TikiVato knows about this from his time down in Ensenada.

Sorry if this is off-topic...

Frank

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 06:24 am   Permalink

Sounds like my problem, too: I love Margaritas, but don't like to wake up with the feeling of Tequila still in my bloodstream the morning after
But like you said, this is off-topic and should perhaps be answered/discussed in p.m.'s, or in the "Beyond Tiki" section here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3919&forum=6

I wonder what Frank Bowers drank....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 1:18 pm   Permalink

Well we do know he enjoyed his drinks. A lot !!

The story that he painted murals to pay off bar tabs has been independently associated with at least 3 locations.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 1:58 pm   Permalink

What an awesome view Sven. That drink is just icing on the cake. I just got home from my expedition. Watta trip but it was way too short. Gotta return so I can pick Alfonso and Alfredo's brains.

TikiVato

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2012-05-20 00:20 ]

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 12:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-18 01:44, bigbrotiki wrote:

That character in the napkin mural painting reminds me of a young Hemingway.

I managed to pick up one of the Vivan Laird Jungle Room postcards.

Did a zoom on the mural

Surely a Frank Bowers in all of its glory.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-20 8:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks John-O for the expedition to the Foc'sle today. I loved the mural and have been to the buccaneer a few times, great research here...I showed a friend the photo that you took today and he immediately said that looks like the same guy that did the mural at the buc...

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-21 10:11 pm   Permalink

It is high time we get to see a photo of the artiste:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 09:59 am   Permalink

Great photo Bigbro. Story?

I saw this menu from the South Seas in Anaheim....

Which confirmed the presence of Frank Bowers murals.

Check out the description of the murals on the back cover.

Feast your eyes indeed!

Vivan Laird must have had a pretty good relationship with Bowers to have his murals in all of her restaurants.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 10:02 am   Permalink

Ouuuh man...all that lost art...

That even looks like a 3D mural, with that native maiden cut out!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 2:12 pm   Permalink

Very significant Bowers find. Thanks DC !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 2:42 pm   Permalink

By the way, I am not sure if the menu cover design was done by Bowers. It was a generic template used by other tropical restaurants at the time:

The native maiden here is more in Bowers style than some of the line art on the previous pages, but I tried to compare the palm trees and came back with the impression that Bowers must not have liked them:

Not even in his clearly Polynesian paintings for the Leilani Hut and the Zamboanga did he make much use of them. This is interestingly unusual considering what a standard prop the palm was in any island girl scene at that time!

mrsmiley

Posted: 2013-03-12 12:54 am   Permalink

More Frank Bowers; http://ketchikanartliveshere.org/art-in-ketchikan/ketchikan-public-art-works/kpaw-index/frank-bowers/
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4570619216725104&pid=15.1
Frank Bowers

Title: The Gamblers/Saloon Scene

Comments: Painted it to pay for bill
Needs cleaning/poor lighting
At one time, cut in half…only half remains

Created: 1949

301 Front St
Ketchikan, AK 99901

(907) 225-2217

Public Space: Yes , Viewing Hours: When Sourdough Bar is open, can view

From Liveauctioneers in 2011;
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4595873639302263&pid=15.1

TAVERN, 1949, oil painting on canvas, signed and dated lower right, 48 x 42", some perimeter wear, surface scuffs and soiling, otherwise in good condition.

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2013-03-12 01:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2013-03-12 01:07 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2013-03-12 01:01 am   Permalink

Frank Howard Bowers grave info;
Birth: Nov. 20, 1905
Death: Dec. 11, 1964

Note: Date of Interment: February 08, 1965

Burial:
Sunnyside Cemetery
Long Beach
Los Angeles County
California, USA
Plot: S W Magnolia, Section 136, Grave 5

Created by: Randall Waldrep
Record added: Feb 08, 2003
Find A Grave Memorial# 7162464

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation