FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki In Search of Frank Bowers...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
In Search of Frank Bowers...
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-05 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-05 13:52, azurebird wrote:

Hi folks, I am an art dealer in Fallbrook and new to this forum. A client showed me these two paintings they own by Frank and Vicki Bowers this morning and I am trying to get more information about the artists beyond the obvious. One painting is signed by both artists and dated 1951. It is supposedly out of a deceased bar in the Long Beach area called the Ark hence the subject matter. One mural is 48 x 55, the other 48 x 50".

A quick search turned up nothing on the particular saloon and I guess the name could be off but I will continue to research the matter. Any help that you can provide will be appreciated. I will probably get them cleaned (they are filthy) and then sell them.

Sincerely,

Robert Sommers
Blue Heron Gallery

Great discovery. Thank you for sharing that !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2013-09-05 14:50 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-05 2:40 pm   Permalink

If I strain my memory to the max, 2 places in Long Beach (CA) come to mind called the Ark. One was a non-alcohol serving Christian dance club (doubt that was it). Other was bar on 5000 block of Ocean Blvd which closed in late 1960's. Funny thing is that is across street from where Tiki Beach Festival is held each year.

Quote:

On 2013-09-05 13:52, azurebird wrote:

It is supposedly out of a deceased bar in the Long Beach area called the Ark hence the subject matter.

A quick search turned up nothing on the particular saloon and I guess the name could be off but I will continue to research the matter.

Sincerely,

Robert Sommers
Blue Heron Gallery

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
azurebird

Posted: 2013-09-05 3:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

View Profile of azurebird Send a personal message to azurebird  Email azurebird Goto the website of azurebird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-05 10:04 pm   Permalink

What a swinging place Noah's ark must have been!

Some of the males seem to be non-generic depictions of specific people, one can assume that they were either known personalities of the time or the owner and his friends, like it was done at The Embers.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-06 08:26 am   Permalink

I hope it was this place - "The Ark" it was in Sausalito but it seems like it was cool.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
azurebird

Posted: 2013-09-06 08:39 am   Permalink

I will post better pictures soon, definitely after cleaning. Not the Ark in Sausalito, wrong decade, these were done in 1951.

Robert

View Profile of azurebird Send a personal message to azurebird  Email azurebird Goto the website of azurebird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-06 09:26 am   Permalink

It looks like some of those fair haired maidens are paired up with burly Nubians as they board the Ark.

That's pretty risque stuff for 1951 !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-06 10:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-06 09:26, JOHN-O wrote:
It looks like some of those fair haired maidens are paired up with burly Nubians as they board the Ark.

That's pretty risque stuff for 1951 !!

And therefore very "exotic" for the time. These must have given quite a few folks a big thrill while drinking around these paintings. Cool!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-07 12:18 am   Permalink

My goodness, that guy was prolific - downright popular in some places: It seems that for a certain period, no restaurant/ bar establishment in the Long Beach wanted to be without his murals!

I am still wondering who these gentlemen might have been...

...they are far too specific and contemporary to be anonymous characters in the story of the painting. Were they the owner and his friends, or locally famous personalities? Famous creationists, or anti-creationists? Will we ever know?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-07 07:33 am   Permalink

Radar O'Reilly and Walt Disney?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
azurebird

Posted: 2013-09-07 08:52 am   Permalink

I had the same question. You can see somewhat better pictures on my blog.

http://www.blueheronblast.com/2013/09/frank-bowers.html

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-08 11:08 am   Permalink

That's a pretty good one page synopsis of Bowers and the works that have been documented on this thread. Thank you !!

It's questionable however if the matchbook art was his.

azurebird

Posted: 2013-09-08 11:53 am   Permalink

Thank you John. My readership seems to like the pieces and the topic. I appreciate the heads up on the matchbooks. I am a bit of an expert at evaluating an "artist's hand" and will carefully examine them and form my own opinion as to their authorship. I love researching art and paintings and have already found a little private trove on Bowers that I hope to unlock and share one day.

I don't have a ton of experience with the Tiki genre, childhood visits to Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic's not withstanding. But I have dealt in a few choice pieces of hawaiiana in the last few decades. BTW, Any tips on cleaning on hawaiian black velvet paintings?

In any case, I am going to stay on the Bowers hunt like a staffordshire terrier with his teeth embedded in a rib eye steak.

best,

Robert

[ This Message was edited by: azurebird 2013-09-08 11:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: azurebird 2013-09-08 12:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: azurebird 2013-09-08 17:22 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-08 12:25 pm   Permalink

Alright! That sounds good to us! We can use more active Bowers researchers!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-25 2:28 pm   Permalink

All cleaned up, on auction for mucho moolah now here:

https://www.lamodern.com/auctions-2013/auctions/?auctionID=43&view=AuctionLotProfile&inventoryID=8507

Quote:

On 2013-04-08 17:26, Hakalugi wrote:
Last month I was contacted by someone named Terri and she said she may have located a rather large Frank Bowers mural. She found Tiki Central and contacted me to see if I could help identify it. I asked her to please send me some photos. In the meantime I figured she may have already seen the In Search of Frank Bowers thread but I specifically pointed out to her a postcard that Dustycajun posted of Vivian Laird's Restaurant and Jungle Room:

Close up of the mural:

She replied with the following:
"Break out the cocktails because we have something to celebrate! It's undoubtedly a match."

Shortly after, I received some photos of it. This mural is about six feet tall and thirty feet long and is certainly not the easiest thing to photograph. Here are the photos from left to right, section by section.

I asked Terri how she managed to find this thing. She said a good friend of hers was hired to do some repair work and clean-up at a residence in the Palm Springs area. In return he was allowed to keep the mural, which apparently was all rolled up, among several rolls of upholstery fabric. He brought it over to her and they soon discovered that it was signed by Frank Bowers. After a little investigative search on the internet they found Tiki Central and contacted me.

Terri tells me,
Quote:
It has been appraised and it is for sale, the price negotiable. It is in the Palm Springs, CA area. I'm still trying to find out how it got from Vivian Lairds to a house in Palm Springs. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, if anyone is interested in purchasing this monster mural (6ft x 30ft), please let me know. Thanks so much!

Cheers!

Well there you have it. If anyone here is interested in possibly purchasing this historic Frank Bowers mural please PM me and I'll forward your contact information to Terri.

Mahalo!

-Haka

Edited to lock images in a vertical format.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-04-09 12:44 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation