FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki In Search of Frank Bowers...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
In Search of Frank Bowers...
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-04 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-04 08:36, melcolbert wrote:
Hi I was researching Frank Bowers and came across this discussion. I grew up under a Frank Bowers painting signed by Frank and dated '61 - it was hung over our mantle in Sierra Madre, where Frank and Vicki lived in the early sixties. My father was a carpenter, and the story is that Frank gave him the painting as payment for work my dad did for him. Vicki and Frank lived (and painted) in a store-front in downtown Sierra Madre. I recall mom talking about the fact that both Vicki and Frank had a fondness for the drink, and lived pretty poorly -- no stove or refrigerator, just a toilet and sink! I inherited the painting from my mother and it includes many of the Chinese figures shown in similar paintings here, although the female figure is fully clothed (no doubt because he knew our family consisted of five children).

How can I post a picture of the painting here? I don't see any "attachment" button. I am also writing because I spent a lot of time at the VFW post (Veterans of Foreign Wars) bar in Sierra Madre (I was a kid, so they served me Shirley Temples). It was called "The Vets" by locals. I recall there were murals by Frank both upstairs in the bar, and downstairs in the meeting hall (where I had my wedding reception 25 years ago!) Then, the post sold the building, so I have no idea where the murals went (they may have been painted on the walls,perhaps still standing?) I moved away years ago, and most of dad's contemporaries have died, so I have no idea how to track this down.

-Melody

p.s. My dad BUILT the bar at the Buccaneer when he helped in its remodel many years ago.

Thanks for sharing that Melody !! Any additional information we can get on Frank Bowers is always appreciated here.

When you go to "Reply" to a thread, you'll see an "Add Images to your Post" link under the large text box. After you add the image, you have to copy and paste the created link address into the text box. Not the most intuitive process, I know.

If you're having difficulty, I can PM you (via Tiki Central) my email address and post the images for you. We'd LOVE to see them.

Also TikiVato, as you can see we have another urban expedition which requires your services. I'll call you after I get back from Hukilau.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-04 10:15 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
melcolbert

Posted: 2011-06-06 09:50 am   Permalink

OK, John, here is the picture I took of my painting by Frank Bowers. The painting itself measures 36"x48" not including the frame. The over-exposure on the right side is due to the light coming in from the window, not any condition problems. The painting is in excellent condition. What bothers me is that the signature looks NOTHING like the ones I see on mural pics posted here. Could Vicki have helped?

From the latimemachine site, here is an image from the Foc'sle bar -- you can see some of the same elements from this Chinese port scene, but again, the signature does not match at all!
http://www.latimemachines.com/mural.JPG

I was thinking of selling it, because it doesn't quite fit above my mantle...but the colors go well in my living room and it's kind of growing on me...it seems to produce its own source of light in the colors. - Melody

[ This Message was edited by: melcolbert 2011-06-06 11:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: melcolbert 2011-06-06 11:17 ]

View Profile of melcolbert Send a personal message to melcolbert  Email melcolbert Goto the website of melcolbert     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 5:11 pm   Permalink

Melody - with that personal history that connects it to you, you should definitely keep it. You might never get it's equal in monetary value. While to us TCers it is priceless, out there Frank Bowers is an unknown, not accredited in art books or blogs (...yet)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 07:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2011-06-06 09:50, melcolbert wrote:

This is a great piece.
No need to showcase it over the mantle, more of a "'by-the-way,' I have this incredible work in the den."

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 12:22 pm   Permalink

This looks like another one of Frank Bowers' great restaurant murals from Vivian Laird's Bohemia Restaurant located at the Robinson Hotel in Long Beach. I clipped an image of this postcard.

A close up of the mural - sure looks like a Frank Bowers to me.

Vivian Laird also owned the Garden of Allah

And the South Seas in Anaheim at one point, as discussed here.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40145&forum=2&start=last&1

Wonder if Frank Bowers paid a visit to those establishments as well?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 12:59 pm   Permalink

Here are some more possible connections between Vivian Laird and Frank Bowers.

As we know, Franks Bowers did the art work for the Leilani in Long Beach, which is shown on this menu cover from Arkiva Tropika.

Vivian Laird had several restaurants in Long Beach, including the Bohemia posted above and another location called Vivian Laird's. Here is the menu cover from Arkiva Tropika.

In the corner at the initials FBF? Sure looks like another Frank Bowers piece.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
melcolbert

Posted: 2011-06-09 09:49 am   Permalink

Hi and thanks for the replies to my post re:Frank Bowers I realize my painting doesn't
have much commercial value. Perhaps I shall include it in my will and donate it to some worthy recipient in my home town, such as the Buccanneer! But what I would really like is that cowboy-themed painting since we have horses in our backyard here in Palos Verdes! Too bad he wants 10Gs for it!!! Melody

View Profile of melcolbert Send a personal message to melcolbert  Email melcolbert Goto the website of melcolbert     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 11:09 am   Permalink

Thanks DC !!

I like the identification of several more Mid-century pop cultural themes. So far we've seen Polynesian Exotica, Hell, Far Eastern Exotica, Pirates, WWII, 1940's Pulp, Middle Eastern Exotica, and now African Exotica, and nightclub debauchery.

The only thing we haven't seen yet is a science fiction mural a la Lex Baxter's "Space Capades".

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cydplaysmusic

Posted: 2011-08-01 8:56 pm   Permalink

Hey there, super thankful to find this thread on here.
We have just inherited 2 very large Frank and Vicki Bowers paintings which are about 10 ft x 4 ft each.
We're scouring the internet trying to figure out what they're worth or if there's any history of sales, anything like that.
I've included a couple of photos, any help you guys can give us would be great.
Thanks!

View Profile of cydplaysmusic Send a personal message to cydplaysmusic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 9:27 pm   Permalink

Wow! They must be back bar paintings, from some "Club Hong Kong" (my invention) or the like. Very cool!
As I said above, he is not a known name elsewhere but here, so pricing will be difficult.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-02 01:09 am   Permalink

Cyd, you say you inherited it--do you know the history? Did you get it from someone who owned aq bar or restaurant? Why did they have it? I don't mean t opry, I am just curious. The more history we can share, will help us all in the research of Frank Bowers--thanks!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cydplaysmusic

Posted: 2011-08-02 08:42 am   Permalink

yeah, it's hard to say exactly where they came from. The man we inherited them from frequented bars in Newport Beach and was a Merchant Marine sea captain so he might have also frequented bars closer to the harbor, ie. Wilmington... He had lots of stories of drinking with Celebrities down here in Newport throughout the 50's- 60's, but never mentioned the paintings or where they came from. It's also possible they were from another one of his brothers who were also salty guys. Navy men, fond of the drink But I think they lived in San Diego... Not really sure, we only found them when clearing out the last storage room in the house... Actually might have missed them, they were long forgotten about! At this point, we're just trying to connect any dots, thanks for the input!

View Profile of cydplaysmusic Send a personal message to cydplaysmusic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-08-02 08:59 am   Permalink

Thank you for sharing those, they're really great!

Keep your eye on this thread and hopefully some other info will surface.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 09:40 am   Permalink

It would be interesting to research if there were any mid-century bars in Newport Beach with "Hong Kong" or "Shanghai" in the name. There was "Shanghai Red's" in San Pedro, I already have talked about that here. I doubt it is from there, but places as described in this link must have existed in Newport Beach - though it was a much more posh place than San Pedro:

http://photobuff2.tripod.com/collect/clock.html

The are no notes on the back of the paintings? Is it dated?

Sparkle Mark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 10:02 am   Permalink

Wow! Great paintings.

Thanks for posting here.

View Profile of Sparkle Mark Send a personal message to Sparkle Mark  Goto the website of Sparkle Mark     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation