FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki In Search of Frank Bowers...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
In Search of Frank Bowers...
cydplaysmusic

Posted: 2011-08-02 2:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the idea Bigbro, we'll look on the back soon... we only really looked at them for about 30 min. and we're just so blown away, we forgot to look for details like that...
The signature is Frank and Vicki Bowers though, so since she was his 4th wife, we could hopefully figure out when they were married to give a age range...
Will look soon though for dates.
I've included a few more pics, hopefully we can get some decent ones soon in better lighting

View Profile of cydplaysmusic Send a personal message to cydplaysmusic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 4:05 pm   Permalink

Those are really terrific paintings. Congrats on unearthing them. As Sven said, the proportions point to them having been possible bar back paintings somewhere. But regardless of their origin, I do hope they end up being displayed somewhere where they can be properly enjoyed.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 10:43 pm   Permalink

OTHER exotic ports of call that come to mind: MACAO, and SINGAPORE !

I think our best bet would be matchbooks. Vintage bars are frightfully under-represented on any historic city web sites. Does anybody have any matchbook covers from Newport, Balboa or Long Beach with the above places as part of the name? Like "Singapore Sue's"?

There is a big steamer in the painting. Also camels. And on that ancient gate, is that a Ganesha figure? WHAT place is it?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 08:25 am   Permalink

Interesting, the following was posted on the internet on May 15th, 2011 by aubon@sunbeach.net, the child of Frank Bowers' third wife. We have a breadcrumb !!

http://www.answerbag.co.uk/q_view/737970...

Vicky Bowers was the fourth wife of Frank Howard Bowers, a California local artist of the 30;s, 40's and 50's, with his last works being completed in 1964 in Serra Madre, California. Frank had three children, Jackson Bowers who drumed with Gene Cupra and disappered somewhere in Florida around 1947 or 1948. His second child was Tommy Bowers a well known builder in the Belmont Shores area of So.Calif. His third wife was my mother Kathryn King Bowers, a writer and executive secretary to Henry Blanke at Warner Bros. Studios in 1944. Frank was a [story board man] on several motion pictures during the 40's . Of that marriage one child was born, Sydney Louise Bowers, [Female]. Frank went on to marry Vicky with whom he completed several large murals all over Calif as well as Mexico. Frank had a terrible accident in Mexico while painting a bull fight, the stands came down on him and he was never quite the same, but still painted just as well, but could not climb scaffolding so very few murals were done after that time. Frank Bowers died in 1964 in Los Angeles, Ca. , he had a short bout of Cancer that was to give him four short months, and was buried in Serra Madre, Ca. I still have a few pieces of his work, look at it every day. S.M.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 10:51 am   Permalink

That's more than a crumb, John-O, that's a pretty good sized loaf! So who is going to Mexico, in search of...?!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 11:17 am   Permalink

Great stuff there John-O. Interesting to note that the second son Tommy Bowers was a builder in the Belmont Shores area around the time that the Leilani was in business. You know, the Leilani with the Frank Bowers art work. Coincidence???

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-08-03 8:57 pm   Permalink

Found this on the Los Angeles Public Library website -

"The mural, "Orange Harvest," was painted by Bowers with oils on canvas. It is on display at the California Citrus Exchange Building in Los Angeles. Photo dated: September 22, 1937."

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 10:44 pm   Permalink

Most of these murals seem to be other than Hawaiian or Pacific island
Orientated, can we move this to beyond tiki please.
Or am I being unreasonable in wanting to keep
Threads on TC about Tiki or related topics?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 10:55 pm   Permalink

Jeff, it's one thing to post a clearly non-related subject where it doesn't belong, we've all done that. But then to complain about it being put in its proper forum, and on top of that to gripe and troll about it is not very nice. We all love you and are your friends, but that doesn't put you above house rules, simply put.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 11:08 pm   Permalink

True,
But still doesn't change the fact that this thread
Really should be in beyond tiki.
Just like the infamous Tiki Food thread,
That was moved well after it was started.

And why was the Trivia question from last year not moved?

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 11:38 pm   Permalink

I dunno, nobody is perfect. Maybe it was solved quicker.

And Frank Bowers did one of the all time quintessential Polynesian pop murals for the Zamboanga...and then the Leilani, that is as firm a connection to Tiki as anything can be. His Exotica and nautical themes are also part of the Tiki cosmos.

Why do we have to argue about this?

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 09:01 am   Permalink

Who's arguing,
I just like picking fly shit out of pepper,
especially when my thread gets targeted, moved.
thanks,
carry on.

Jeff(btd)

edited for spelling

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2011-08-04 09:02 ]

cydplaysmusic

Posted: 2011-08-04 09:30 am   Permalink

wow... do my paintings fall into the tiki realm or should I move them somewhere else? You tiki guys are pretty legalistic
I have a solution! Maybe one of you that's most in the know could start a wikipedia page on Frank?

View Profile of cydplaysmusic Send a personal message to cydplaysmusic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-08-04 09:54 am   Permalink

Cydplaysmusic, your pictures are fine where they're at and again thank you for sharing them.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 11:00 am   Permalink

Hear, hear! Thanks, Boris.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-08-04 11:03 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation