FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Jay Strongman @ Trader Vic's LA
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Jay Strongman @ Trader Vic's LA
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-03 1:38 pm   Permalink

Jay Strongman and Trader Vic's LA Present

Eden every Thursday night Starting Oct 22nd

Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE will be hosting legendary international DJ Jay Strongman’s EDEN event every Thursday from 7 p.m. to Close. starting October 22th. One of the pioneers of the London club scene, Strongman will be mixing an eclectic selection of vintage exotica, jazz and bossa nova with the latest electro-lounge, down tempo grooves and contemporary tropical beats. During the course of his career, Strongman has DJ'd around the globe from Rio de Janeiro to Moscow, Tokyo to Paris, at nightclubs, private parties and events for, amongst others, Madonna, Playboy's Hugh Hefner, Milan Fashion Week, Sony Music and MTV Europe. Now Trader Vic’s at L.A. LIVE patrons won’t even have to pay a cover to be treated to his weekly performance

[ This Message was edited by: TraderJohn 2009-10-04 23:55 ]

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 1:52 pm   Permalink

NICE!!!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-10 11:38 am   Permalink

WooooHooooooo! We can't wait to see Jay

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-10 12:04 pm   Permalink

SWEET! I can't wait.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 08:07 am   Permalink

And there's one more thing worth mentioning:

Jay is the author of THIS Tiki horn-of-plenty eye candy feast:

http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Mugs-Cult-Artifacts-Polynesian/dp/0955339812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255273121&sr=1-1

That seems like a happy marriage, the modern but classic L.A. Trader Vic's and Jay's DJ experience. I am not such a purist that I would only demand Marty, Arty and Les to be played at a Tiki Lounge, I like to hear an intelligent mix of vintage and modern. If there ever was someone who could pull that of well, I'd say it's Jay. Well, the Millionaire, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 11:11 am   Permalink

Very cool,
how long will he be DJing there?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-14 10:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm looking forward to mixing in the vintage exotica we all know and love with other genres that will hopefully create the right mood suitable for a modern tiki bar. Expect to hear Baxter, Denny, Lyman, Drasnin and Ahbez alongside contemporary acts like Karminsky Experience, Tikiyaki, Don Tiki, Waldeck, Koop and many more plus bossa, surf, classic lounge, jazz and some surprises. Here's a few examples, old and new.............Hope to see you there, Jay.

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-15 09:16 am   Permalink

Great to see that you are mixing it up with new stuff, like Tikiyaki, and Surf music also.
I do that also when I am djing events.
I think that you have to go with a wide array of sounds to really set a mood, if appropriate of course.

I am looking forward to hearing you spin.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-17 10:48 am   Permalink

Yes, Jeff...I think mixing it up a little is the way to go.....especially as it would be good to lure in some non-Tiki people to Trader Vics and let them get a taste of classic exotica as well as some of the contemporary lounge tunes that they may already be acquainted with. BTW I've heard you playing at quite a few events on the scene since I moved out here and have always been impressed by the sounds you've spun.

Here's a couple more things I'll be playing on Thursday nights....

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 6:05 pm   Permalink

sweet,
can't wait to be there and hear them.

I was just asked to DJ a tiki/surf event in Az. this last weekend,
and I mixed it up, surf, and exotica, and got lots of compliments.

Jeff(btd)

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 6:18 pm   Permalink

also if anyone wants to show up early.

Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-21 12:20 am   Permalink

Jay, I hope this is the LA gig you have been waiting for and deserve!
Remember DJing @ Madonna Inn!?!?

btw, I just DJed that Alex Keack lp at a surf gig I did in SF on sunday!

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-21 12:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks Otto ! Yeah, that Madonna Inn party was really something special...I hope to play a similar mix of old and new on Thursday night.And I love that Alex Keack album...I only wish he had done a couple more in that style.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 09:38 am   Permalink

I'll be there tonight. A perfect occasion to pay my respects to the downtown Vic's and enjoy the sounds, sights and samplings of fine food and drink.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 09:46 am   Permalink

I'll be there at 8 pm ish.
doubt I will hang til 1:30 though.

can't wait.

Jeff(btd)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation