FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My carving
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
My carving
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 05:52 am   Permalink

WOW, you're killing me with that Moai.
Who's next ?

Quote:

On 2009-11-08 06:49, amate wrote:

Benjamin.

[ This Message was edited by: benella 2009-11-14 05:53 ]

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 1:41 pm   Permalink

This mask was inspired by a piece a saw in a museum. My intention was to mimic and not copy the original in order to avoid any bad juju that may result from that kind of thing. I have been taking notes on finishing techniques posted on this site for several weeks now. I refinished this last week end. It's now exactly what I had in mind but it is an improvement. So, I will take those lessons and move forward.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 5:03 pm   Permalink

I love it!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 8:49 pm   Permalink

Me Too, Very nice mask.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 9:47 pm   Permalink

Yes, very beautiful mask! What's the museum where you find inspiration?

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-24 1:20 pm   Permalink

Very nice, now you can start on the rest of the figure.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 4:09 pm   Permalink

First, thank you all for your encouragement. Your comments are always welcome.
Jerome - This museum is in San Antonio, Texxas which is about 50 miles from my home in San Marcos. I also have family in the Houston and Dallas area and visit there often. All three cities have excellent exhibits of oceanic art in their museums. I am fortunate to live in such an inspiration rich environment. The Museum in San Antonio also has a Moai Kava Kava. I had just decided that this would be my next project when you posted yours. I still may carve one in a year or two once I put a better edge on my skills. I also intend to try that hot linseed oil treatment. I like the antique look.

BigT - I have considered doing a full (or half) size version on this Papuan ancestor figure. I'm looking for an appropriate log.

I still need practice on my finishing technique so many of the carvings on these shelves will be refurbished. I've already started on some.

I recently ran across this photo of a head I gave away some time ago. I would love to give him a face lift as well but he now resides in Florida. At least do something better with the headdress.

The next three are repeats of photos I posted on another thread. I'm just moving them over to keep things together. By the way, Kon-Tiki went under the knife and now has a set of toes!

I have been working a lot lately but finally got some leisure time this weekend to rough out a few.

For that last one, I wanted to try something different than my usual fare. This head was inspired by many of the carvings I see on this Forum. I call him T.C. Initially, I was just testing my versatility by carving a short nose for a change. Mostly because of the obscene remarks my smart alec neighbor made about the nose on that Papuan mask. What a comedian!

And just for the record, I don't always spell Texxas, but when I do . . . I prefer Dos Equis.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 5:49 pm   Permalink

amatae!!! i was right you do hoard tikis!!!! WOW!!!! you have great talent and one nice collection of carves!!! keepem comin!!! luvin the new guy w all the details!! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 8:13 pm   Permalink

Definitely what he said. TIKI HOARDER!! I Love it, Nothing wrong with it, just keep on carving them and hoard all you want!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-29 16:09, amate wrote:

BigT - I have considered doing a full (or half) size version on this Papuan ancestor figure. I'm looking for an appropriate log.

I have some pine logs if you'd like a couple. They're all at least six feet and six inches to a foot or two in diameter. Since you come through Houston, come on by if you'd like to look.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-01 5:02 pm   Permalink

Holy WOW!

I love both the authentic posture AND the awesomely varied surface finishes. You, my man, is a master carver! There is so much mana in those guys I get the shivers.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 9:11 pm   Permalink

HA HA! You have finally opened the treasure cave. Thank's for sharing!
There is a lot of things that look beautiful ... and my favorite is this beautiful Moai that we have already seen. A real journey through time!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-02 4:36 pm   Permalink

Big Tiki - I don't think of it as hoarding but rather astute management of my resources . . .blah, blah, blah . . . Oh hell, who am I kidding! I've got more moai stashed in my closet than they have on Rapa Nui. I'm a hoarder!

Benzart - I still have new ideas and lots of things I want to try to I don't plan on quiting any time soon. I may have to add on a room to store all of my duds though. The closet is pretty much full.

BigT - I sent you a personal message. (I think I did anyway - haven't used that function yet)

Marcus - I am honored by your compliments. Your work is magical and has struck a chord with me. As for the finishing on these, it is completely random and accidental. I have much to learn in this area.

Jerome - Yes, I am happy with the way that moai turned out. They are hard to get right. That's why I have so many in my closet. They were just for practice.

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-03 3:41 pm   Permalink

The mild weather and long weekend allowed me to continue working on the carvings I started over the Thanksgiving weekend. Here are some progress shots.

I love the Maori style and would like to learn more to make my carvings more authentic. I found a good book in the library. Until then, I started this carve that I consider a caricature. When I began the detail, I ran into soft spots where the wood began to crumble. I gave it a coat of polyurethane to try and stabilize it. It seems to have helped so I will continue with the piece. I'm making this up as I go so forgive my breaches of tradition.

Once again, I had difficulty coming up with a stain I liked on this next one and worked for several weeks redoing it. I took longer to sand, stain, re-sand, re-stain etc than it took to carve it. I finally settled on this finish on my fourth attempt. Of course, with all of the sanding, my wise guy neighbor kept coming over to harass me about spending so much time out in the garage "sanding my tiki" as he calls it. haha the guy is a real riot. I can't believe that he doesn't have his own comedy program on TV.

Finally, this is a refurb of one on my earlier pieces. Guess what...when I didn't like the original finish, I tucked him away in the closet. So, this is the new improved model. I've discovered that if I dim the lights and have another beer, he looks just fine.

drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-03 4:37 pm   Permalink

Looking Good Amate

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation