FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events OHANA 2010 - Official thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
OHANA 2010 - Official thread
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 06:54 am   Permalink

Cant wait to see what you bring, Lake!

Also, we've convinced Sandy to break out all the old menus & pics & ephemera from the Tiki's heyday and put them on display, along with a tour of the place on Sunday at noon. So, you'll be able to see the rooms we aren't using for Ohana, & hear a bit about the Tiki Resort if you aren't leaving at the crack of dawn on Sunday.

And again, for those who are coming in a day or two early, or staying a day or two late, pretty much ALL of the attractions in Lake George will be open. The Diving Horse, all the weird little roadside attractions & classic amusement parks, water slides, mini golf, tourist traps, wineries, bars, restaurants, beaches, boats, etc etc etc.

You'll find it time well spent to go exploring. And be sure to go get a Hawaiian Ice at the Pink Roof!! (A cool old A-Frame ice cream joint over by Around the World Mini Golf, right by the beach!) Or a root beer float at the A&W Drive-In (Yes, they still have car hops...although they don't wear roller skates anymore)

Seriously, there's enough to do outside of Ohana to fill an entire kitschy week. Take a peek:
http://www.lakegeorge.com/things-to-do/

See ya at the Lake!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-06-14 07:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-14 06:54, Bargoyle wrote:
Seriously, there's enough to do outside of Ohana to fill an entire kitschy week. Take a peek: http://www.lakegeorge.com/things-to-do/

Wow! Even a haunted house walkthrough attraction that'll be open:
http://www.drmorbid.com/?m2referer=lakegeorge.com

Has anyone here been through it? Is it any good?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 07:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-14 06:54, Bargoyle wrote:

Seriously, there's enough to do outside of Ohana to fill an entire kitschy week. Take a peek: http://www.lakegeorge.com/things-to-do/

See ya at the Lake!

We're coming up on Thursday and staying a day late to check out some of the local flavor. We were bummed the Pink Roof was closed last time - we'll DEFINITELY check it out this year.

Bargoyle, the Lake George Chamber of Commerce should be sending you a check for all your work promoting the town!

Can't wait!

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 08:03 am   Permalink

There are actually a couple of Haunted Houses in LG.

Dr. Morbid's has two attractions. One is a wax museum (I think it's called Frankenstein's Castle or something), VERY well done, and the other is a more traditional interactive haunted house... Dr. Morbids. Both are downtown, about a block from each other.

Also downtown, there's an alien encounter haunted house, but I haven't been through that one.

There's also a buttload of old school arcades downtown, most of which still have pinball machines (as a pin-head, this thrills me)!

It's about a 10 minute walk from the Tiki to get downtown, and you can walk Canada street to see all the cool old motor lodges & tourist traps, or you can walk the lake/boardwalk, and see the pristine beauty of Lake George... with the tourist traps just on one side of you. lol.

And by the way, I use the words "Tourist Trap" lovingly. The town is a complete throwback to a bye-gone era. Nowhere else would the Tiki have been able to stand the test of time, and indeed, the 50s/60s era googie wackiness & neon signs that abound ADD to the wonder of Lake George, rather than detract from it. I mean, if you're into that whole retro thing.

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2010-06-14 08:17 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-14 07:57, Hibiscus wrote:

Bargoyle, the Lake George Chamber of Commerce should be sending you a check for all your work promoting the town!

Can't wait!

I actually did speak to them a bit this year (no check though. lol ), and I think they're onboard next year to help promote the event, and get us some deals on local attractions, etc.

As it stands this year, we're going up early and trying to convince at least the mini golf places to give us a discount again. So anywhere you go, show em your Ohana badge. You just might get a deal!! Or, at the very least, you'll get a puzzled look!

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 12:43 pm   Permalink

I hear they're changing one of the Steamboats names from Lac Du Saint Sacrement to Lac Du Saint Sully.

OHANA is almost here!!!!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:
So anywhere you go, show em your Ohana badge. You just might get a deal!! Or, at the very least, you'll get a puzzled look!

Bargoyle, work your magic so our badges get us discounts at the local liquor store, will ya?

See you at OHANA!

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 7:08 pm   Permalink

I'll try at the booze store, but I dont think my kung-fu is that strong.

My Tiger-Style is no match for their NY-Liquor Tax Style.

lol

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2010-06-14 19:09 ]

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-15 11:28 am   Permalink

Tic-Toc... last day of ticket sales is tomorrow.

Act now, or live vicariously through photographs later.

See ya at the Lake!

www.LuauAtTheLake.com

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 05:41 am   Permalink

Just a reminder folks, last day of ticket sales is TODAY.

Oh, and call the Tiki first if you need a room. We've had a few open up as some folks are now sharing rooms, or had to cancel last minute. They seem to fill up as soon as they open, but it doesn't hurt to call, and hey, you might just get lucky! 518-668-5744

see ya at the lake!

www.LuauAtTheLake.com

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 4:39 pm   Permalink

Like Bargoyle said, there will be TONS of vendors selling TONS of goodies. Lakesurfer has a lot of great things going on right now and is sure to impress.
I'll be there too with a few new things including a custom tiki chess set that I designed and carved.
I'll be taking orders for this and much more at Ohana.
Get 'em while they last!

Check out the rest of the picture for the chess set and a few other new things at
The Leeward Lounge .
See you in Lake George!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 5:10 pm   Permalink

I've said it before, but sweet jeebus finkdaddy, that is some nice work man!!!

A mere few hours left before the Ohana door closes (we've only got a few spots left anyway) so don't get left out in the cold! (Actually its not gonna be cold this year. High 70s to low 80s during the day, mid 60s at night! w00t!!)

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 10:23 am   Permalink

Wow, that is one killer chess set Mr. Fink! I can't wait to see it up close.

Well, I'm really getting excited for this event. I've never been to up state NY before and Lake George looks like a WONDERFUL place start to discover it.

Diving Horse?! Ohhhh, this is a must.... I did a little digging online, and sure enough ---- "Lightning the Diving Horse!!!" And in the Magic Forest no less. I sure hope he is going to be performing when I'm out there. I hope he sells t-shirts

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2174

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 10:55 am   Permalink

Babalu,

the entire magic forest is something to behold.

The worlds tallest uncle sam (and santa i think) are in the parking lot, and the storybook statues throughout the place are weathered in way that most of em are more creepy than cute.

a DEFINITE photo op there!! lol

Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-17 11:10 am   Permalink

I can't go this year, but next year I'm going to see if it's possible to save the sheckles and do both the Hukilau and the Ohana. One week of Tiki to the power of 10 is not enough! I can't let it go!

All Hail Floyd!! (Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation