FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » OHANA 2010 - Official thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
OHANA 2010 - Official thread
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-30 12:02 pm   Permalink

You will also find lots of photos being posted on the Ohana Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/OhanaLuau

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zonker88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-30 3:24 pm   Permalink

wow where to begin. That was the best tiki event Ive ever seen!

I started to reach for my wallet at checkin when I saw the glasses and Trader Vics shirts and then they tell me it is all free and hand us one of each?! How do they keep the ticket price so low

Crazy good bands, cool swizzles, killer cocktails and everything running smoothly even in the rain.

Cant wait for next time but I dont know how you top this one.

View Profile of Zonker88 Send a personal message to Zonker88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-30 5:38 pm   Permalink

Aloha, Zonker,

Glad you had fun!

Our sponsors are incredibly generous and we can't thank them enough... Ryan & Wood Distilleries (Folly Cove Rum) for the room crawl glasses... Trader Vic's for the bartender shirts and drink bowls... Royer Corporation for yet another kick ass swizzle stick... and many others that you can read about on the F.O.M. news page.

The bands were awesome... especially Waitiki and 9th Wave who had to pack up their gear, move inside out of the rain, and then play their set.

And all of you were awesome! When the rain forced the bands and silent auction inside it seemed like every single attendee picked up an auction item, an amp, a music stand and carried it inside. You're all truly Ohana.

Mahalo.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jet Sterling
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-01 11:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-30 07:08, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Hey! I missed that too!

9th Wave were OUTSTANDING!!!! On balcony AND in the disco with the Go-Go lights. It made me actually glad we had to move indoors for that because although poolside is cool, those lights really gelled with the Go-go/Surf vibe.

No doubt - that was one of my favorite memories of Ohana (and there were a lot of great memories)! When we got chased in by the rain and decided to move the bands to the disco (Whispers...shhhhh), I had no idea what to expect. Surrounded by those incredible walls of light that looked like they were stolen from an early 70's game show set, 9th Wave set up on the dance floor with TikiJen out front (go go) and Elena (hula hoop) on the stage behind. The room transformed into a '68/'69 'Laugh In' go go surf party! Definitely a happy accident that I hope we got some good pics of (I know I dragged some photographers into the room...unfortunately the pics I took on my phone did not do the scene justice).

A big thanks to everyone who chipped in to make this fantastic weekend a reality!

View Profile of Jet Sterling Send a personal message to Jet Sterling  Email Jet Sterling Goto the website of Jet Sterling     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
9th Tiki

Posted: 2010-07-01 7:40 pm   Permalink

First, I’d like to say thank you for all the kind comments, support and encouragement you all gave us (9th Wave) after Friday night’s guerrilla style balcony music and Saturday afternoon 1970’s surf music game show interlude. I was not able to see what was going behind us as we were playing. Does anyone have any pictures they can post? I was happily surprised to see the number of people willing to come inside and enjoy some surf, spy-fi, spaghetti western, surf exotica and anything else we played. Most of the band performances were recorded Friday and Saturday.

Other highlights of the weekend; Art-dog showed the Gilligan’s Island episode with the voodoo Tiki god. I was laughing and flashing back to those days when the show was on at 4:30 pm after school on channel 30 (more magic powder). Batman surfs the Joker which followed was the best.

The buffet dinner was very enjoyable, as was the dinner show. I managed to purchase some interesting tiki items from the venders before having to move equipment, I saw much variety and craftsmanship.

On the golden emcee voice of Jet Sterling - many try to match the swank and attention grabbing technique, but all fall short.

All the bands were great – particularly Bamboo Saxotica and Fisherman (including go-go dancing!), and of course Waitiki.

I’d like to say on behalf of 9th Wave, we had a great time, with so many wonderful memories on and off the playing field. Thanks to Bargoyle & those involved with the Ohana event publication for making Sandy’s article on the history of surf music look great, and not cutting it even though it was 3 pages long!
After the North East Tiki Tour II, I wrote the tune Island of the Lost Tiki. This year has left me with high emotions (rum high - saturation) and I have already been inspired to write a new surfin tune, Poseidon’s Wave.

It has been an honor and a privilege to have been able to attend and play alongside great bands, share the stage and party with the all who attended this year’s Ohana event.

From the surf side,

Mahalo

View Profile of 9th Tiki Send a personal message to 9th Tiki  Email 9th Tiki Goto the website of 9th Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 06:30 am   Permalink

There are a TON of pictures posted in the Port on the FOM website! Lots of groovy 9th Wave shots, too! Head on over and be prepared to stay a while...

And yes, Jet Sterling IS the Golden Voice of Ohana! Awesome job with the MC-ing, Mr. Sterling!

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 10:33 am   Permalink

OK, so it's really hard to cull it down to just a few pictures to post, but here's just a taste of the FUN that was Ohana 2010 - can't wait for next year!!!!

WELCOME!

A few views of the CRAZY rooms on the room crawl!!!!

Witco world?:

In the Lair of the Crazyassbrainfish:

Aliens?:

A little Neon....

WOW!
There's a Mint Forest in my drink!!

The ceremonial naming of the tiki that has stood at the entrance to The Tiki since the 50's. He's been thirsty for a LONG time!
I dub thee I'KE (said: eek-a)

mmmmmmmmmm.....RUM!

A couple views of the 2nd Dole Cocktail Contest at Ohana.....

& a bit of music....

And......last but not least.....who can forget Hillbilly Fun Park in Lake George!?!?!?

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 12:35 pm   Permalink

a brief post-script to Ohana attendees.....

The FOM was selling a fundraising CD of cool tunes at Ohana, with proceeds of these on-going CD sales going to the Easter Island Foundation.

We understand that some of the CDs that were distributed are "challenged".....i.e., they don't work so well.

If you happen to be in possession of one of these CDs, please send me a PM & we will make arrangements to replace the tunes that you may not be hearing when you try to play the disc.

also - a few of these were sold at Hukilau - if you hold one of the non-working CDs, please PM me & we will make similar arrangements.

MAHALO for your understanding!!!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 10:47 am   Permalink

Here's a very nice article that talks about the whole weekend of fun at the year's OHANA Luau at the Lake, with a few more pictures, etc. It's hard to capture how much fun it was with just words & pictures, but it should give you all a feel. And, bring back some good memories for those who were there....

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php

Happy Reading!

Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-16 11:25 am   Permalink

Man, that was a fun time! You're right - it's hard to convey the fun and camaraderie in words and pictures alone.

Can't wait for next year!

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 10:28 am   Permalink

Just a heads up,

for those who were there & didnt get around to buying any Ohana stuff, what little is left is on the website now:

http://www.luauatthelake.com/store.html

Even if you didnt join us, feel free to buy. Supplies are VERY limited on everything.

Also, if you havent seen the viral video, go check it out... some worthwile info re: 2011 hidden in there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtS9SbOEKE

Mahalo, and we'll see ya at the Lake!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 10:23 am   Permalink

anybody have a picture of the T Shirt?

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation