FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Mickey Hart Music
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mickey Hart Music
Hangtentiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-31 2:15 pm   Permalink

I'd like to know what the music lovers among us think of Mickey Hart and his old school drum and rythym stuff like "Planet Drum" and "To The Edge And Back"

www.bedtimestoriesforsurfers.com

[ This Message was edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-20 20:26 ]

View Profile of Hangtentiki Send a personal message to Hangtentiki  Email Hangtentiki Goto the website of Hangtentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-31 7:47 pm   Permalink

Nothing personal, but these are the following types of music that should be talked about in this section:

"Exotica, Lounge, Cocktail, Hawaiian, Vocals & Standards, Bump & Grind, Space-Age, Surf, Rockabilly, Swing and Tiki band discussion."

And as talented as Mickey Hart is, he fits none of these categories.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hangtentiki

Posted: 2009-11-01 06:03 am   Permalink

I do agree, and buy what your saying. I wanted to see if anyone still cares... I'm an old school, old guy, and have seen too many good things chewed-up and swallowed by main stream cancer. I hope this does not continue to happen to the Tiki Oasis. There are a lot of good things outside of our love for the time of Tiki. But I think one of our main goals on this site is preservation of a slice in time.

[ This Message was edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-01 20:09 ]

View Profile of Hangtentiki Send a personal message to Hangtentiki  Email Hangtentiki Goto the website of Hangtentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 09:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-01 06:03, Hangtentiki wrote:
I think one of our main goals on this site is preservation of a slice in time.

[ This Message was edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-01 06:04 ]

Right, and that slice in time is mid-century poly-pop. (an epoch I am entirely devoted to!)

I think where I have (and have always had) a problem is this urge a lot of posters on this forum have to equate hippy culture (which is albeit, a creative and vital culture) with tiki/poly pop. I see no connection between the two, and never have. But over the 6-7 years I have been part of this forum, I have noticed a not-so-subtle attempt by hippies to infiltrate and try to reclaim the music of the Eisenhower and Nixon generation as their own. The Buffet people also try the same tact these days, thinking that a margarita and some thatch in your bar makes things "tiki".

Not to say one is better then the other. Since there are a LOT of hippies on this forum, I won't say too much negative about it at this time. But MY preference is the original, pre-hippy music scene. Sophisticated, urban "savages" and the bachelor pad music they listened to.
I advise all newer posters to this forum to get a copy of Sven Kirsten's "book of tiki". it's practically cannon around here, and will really demonstrate graphically what tiki is (and isn't) about.

Now, before I get flamed to death with rare exceptions of hippies that crossed over to tiki, or co-existed with. (like that one exotica/hippy guy whose name I forgot)..please understand that it is very rare, and not the norm. The music of Les Baxter, for example, is famous for being an exotic type of jazz music, played by guys with neat, short hair. The people who listened to it went to cocktail lounges with their dates, dressed to the nines. it was a very different culture then the hippies that came after. Hippy was a youth culture at heart, exotica/lounge was the soundtrack for urban, middle aged, middle class people. Essentially, the yuppies of yesteryear. it's is true that people like les Baxter and even Arthur Lyman experimented in the late 60's with the current pop scene of the 60's. So did Frank Sinatra, so did Sergio mendes. But I have always disliked those songs and recordings. "Born free"? Give me Les Baxter's "shooting star" any day!

I am sure the usual hippies on this forum will dissagree most vigorously, and they are free to post about why they think hippie and tiki is the same or interchangeable. But I would challenge their reasoning, and always have. yes, a person can like both genres. Heck, I like classical music AND country-western, for example.

Of course, I am referring only to the musical elements of tiki. In the design and artwork (especially the recent incarnations from modern tiki artists) there is some shared elements. Tiki art as it is today could be considered to be "trippy", and some of it shares the same density and colors that hippy art does.

And also, surf culture has always had some shared connection between hippy and tiki.

These are my opinions only, but I am sure there are 2 or 3 other people on this forum that would agree with me.

Now here is something controversial, a theory I have: The bachelor pad/lounge scene and the types of people that listened to it back in those days equate FAR more to those people who listen to and like what is known as "smooth jazz" in this time period. I happen to really like the smooth jazz band "The Rippingtons", for example. A lot of their music is tropical themed, but not very authentic. These are hallmarks (in my opinion) of what the original intent of the exotica/lounge scene was. I also think the demographics where essentially the same. The people who listened to what was known in the mid 50's as "beautiful music" or "easy listening" could easily have been transported to this generation, and I think (or at least my theory is) that they would be more into smooth jazz then they would be into surf rock or hippy music.

So, begin the flaming!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-11-01 09:26 am   Permalink

I agree with you Lucas 100% but I'm trying to U-Mod this entire post to be deleted before some other hippies do a Mickey Hart Google search and find it. Hippies are all peace and love until you knock one of their heroes then they quickly become angry Manson Family Hippies.

I added the smiley face because Hippies like smiley faces and it should calm them down.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-11-01 09:41 am   Permalink

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-01 09:26, Bora Boris wrote:
Hippies are all peace and love until you knock one of their heroes, then they quickly become angry Manson Family Hippies.

Best post ever! My new signature line!

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-11-01 12:16 pm   Permalink

As long as Hangtentiki has that big advertisement as a signature I'm gonna have to believe that Hangtentiki is not really here for conversation and is actually here just to try to sell books. If Hangtentiki wants to make a sincere impression, he/she should dump the spam ad signature. If Hangtentiki wants to sell books to TC members, he/she should buy a banner ad. Until then, I have put Hangtentiki and his/her book on my ignore list.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hangtentiki

Posted: 2009-11-01 12:59 pm   Permalink

Mickey Hart a hippie? How can you condense a man of his stature to what I think you are using as a slur. Some people just love to label and bottle the world. Much of his work is poly-jazz. The Tiki culture is a wonderful experience, a world of gentleman and etiquette. How come we have all these trolls just waiting under the bridge to slam into you. Aloha and Mahalo

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-11-01 2:09 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-11-01 3:50 pm   Permalink

Boris, you so funny! You should be a comedian or something.

GROG must strive to be as funny as Boris. One day, maybe.

OK, now back to people picking on HangTenTiki for posting a question about Hippie music.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2009-11-01 15:57 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hangtentiki

Posted: 2009-11-01 7:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha Grog, I'm not really sure what your post means? But with an average of almost 4 posts a day for almost 4 years, I can see why.

[ This Message was edited by: Hangtentiki 2009-11-01 20:07 ]

Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 7:59 pm   Permalink

How about someone just moves the discussion to "Beyond Tiki."

Then we can all hug, pass a joint, and try to takeover Disneyland.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-01 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-01 12:16, Hakalugi wrote:
As long as Hangtentiki has that big advertisement as a signature I'm gonna have to believe that Hangtentiki is not really here for conversation and is actually here just to try to sell books. If Hangtentiki wants to make a sincere impression, he/she should dump the spam ad signature. If Hangtentiki wants to sell books to TC members, he/she should buy a banner ad. Until then, I have put Hangtentiki and his/her book on my ignore list.

As someone that's recently conversed with HTT quite a bit, I feel I should 'speak up' for his intentions regarding tiki and/or selling his book. This guy's got a TON of mugs, etc. in his abode. So much so, that he's to be featured in an upcoming 'Totally Tikified' article of Tiki Magazine. So you don't miss it, watch for his 'Attic of Addiction.' It's quite impressive.

Regarding the book, I've read it and like it. And I'm sure the signature thing is an attempt to get his book out there and yes, sell copies. But, c'mon. If you're gonna knock him for that...you better start knocking every over artist, writer, band, etc. on this site. At least one out of every 5 posts have something that will direct you to their stuff and I don't see anything wrong with that IF it all connects to the genre of Tiki. And for the record, his book has a lot of cool tie ins.

Now...back to the original purpose of this topic. Mickey Hart. I can see how he may fit in some people's tiki experience. His music is exotic, it's rhythmic, it transports you to a foreign land. I get the same feel when I listen to Baxter or Denny. And the particular album that is referenced sounds nothing like hippy music to me. So, yeah, I could see adding it to the rotation, if one was so inclined.

Now to to quote some rather famous hippies...'Trouble with you is the trouble with me. Got two good eyes but you still don't see.' Ironically, these lines make more sense after reading some of the comments posted to this thread. Enjoy!

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-11-01 11:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-01 19:27, Hangtentiki wrote:
Aloha Grog, I'm not really sure what your post means? But with an average of almost 4 posts a day for almost 4 years, I can see why.
http://www.bedtimestoriesforsurfers.com

Average of 2.62 posts a day for 3 years, 4 months. Writers---always exaggerating!

Hung10"tiki post innocent enough question and the thread turn ugly fast with the hippybashing.
Thank God GROG and Boris there to add levity to the situation.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation