FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 12:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-06 13:25, bigtikidude wrote:
only 43 minutes Sven?
tisk tisk tisk.

this is a cd, not a LP.
they can hold 78 to 80 min.

Jeff(btd)

OK, wise guy, YOU go and pull together all the images, and write all the text for each song, then. It's not just like burning a bunch of faves on your lap top for your friends, where you can pile them up indefinitely. It's research, writing, lay out and editing, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 04:46 am   Permalink

The booklet looks beautiful Sven. We would expect no less! The unfortunate thing is, the average listener never bothers to read the liner notes. But then again, the average listener probably wouldn't buy a CD like this in the first place. It would have been nice to have this when the BOT came out. Because that is exactly how I first read the book: exotica music on, cocktail in hand, book open. Man, that's my kind of studying.

I recall you did a "Music to read Tiki Modern by" live set on Luxuria radio a couple of years ago. That was quite enjoyable. Tiki is so alluring when all the elements come into play: sight, sound and taste. Of course, as you said, this is OUR idealized version of Tiki really because it was hardly experienced this way back in the day.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 07:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

It's not just like burning a bunch of faves on your lap top for your friends, where you can pile them up indefinitely. It's research, writing, lay out and editing, too.

So true.

http://www.kawentzmann.de

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-07 00:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
OK, wise guy, YOU go and pull together all the images, and write all the text for each song, then. It's not just like burning a bunch of faves on your lap top for your friends, where you can pile them up indefinitely. It's research, writing, lay out and editing, too.

Ok I'm sorry, I didn't think about the book, I was thinking just music and space.
I did however think that maybe cost was a issue.
as usually when you/a company does a compilation.
you/they, have to pay to use all, or most of the trax.
So after my post, I was thinking maybe Bear Family was wanting to save some $

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 4:18 pm   Permalink

Hey I found this thread from almost 8 years ago...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=501&forum=17&start=0

This might be a good follow-up to do. I think "Tiki Karaoke - Sing along with Sven" would be a good concept. The CD could include a song book with lyrics.

This is starting to take off at Tonga Hut on Sunday afternoons....

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-03-07 16:28 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 4:33 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's an oldie but a goodie. A few songs on that list made it into this album.

Would I have stocked up on the song list, the booklet would have had to have equally more pages, which yes, would have raised the price. It's already gonna be high, with around 26.- bucks as an import. And I couldn't have done images and text for some of the songs, and not for others. I like keeping my works on an affordable level.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-07 8:12 pm   Permalink

The old song list thread was cool, I noticed it had post from not one but two deleted members

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Baron von Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-19 8:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-02 14:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, unfortunately it will be a while, like end of March! It's gone into production now, I was just reminded to write the promo text for the coming catalog, but til its printed and shipped from Asia it'll be months.

Here is a sample of what the packaging will be like, not in a crappy Jewel case where you have to squeeze the booklet in and out, but it is glued into a cardboard cover and will open like a book, with 50 pages (this is a SAMPLE for the style only):

[image snipped for brevity]

Every song will get a double page of text and images, here are some snaps from my laptop:

[other images snipped for brevity]

I am so thrilled I got to squeeze that photo that Gecko took of me and Martin Denny in there. Martin holding my book and me holding his poodle.

The booklet and liner notes make me want this package more than the tracks. And it's kind of funny to see the Ed Sullivan album in the booklet. Before I became interested in Tiki, I bought a copy of that at a thrift store, framed it, and gave it to a tiki-phile friend as a birthday present. I paid a dollar for it.

View Profile of Baron von Tiki Send a personal message to Baron von Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 05:31 am   Permalink

The latest on the release:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35931&forum=12&start=last&0

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-27 2:22 pm   Permalink

Just nabbed one at Aomeba in L.A. Great stuff. I look forward to the next 9 volumes and then the re-release as a genuine bamboo boxed box set in time for xmas!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-06 06:35 am   Permalink

My copy arrived Monday (4/5) in the mail from 8 Ball. Amazing work, Sven. I fired it up on the bar stereo and whipped up a couple of big drinks for happy hour. Booklet is awesome, though I didn't get a chance to read it yet because the wife was looking through it. It's a little spendier than your "average" CD, but well-worth it!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 1:43 pm   Permalink

Yay Sven! I am just learning of this disc now. Looking forward to it!

[ This Message was edited by: Selector Lopaka 2010-04-06 13:44 ]

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-06 6:29 pm   Permalink

I'm now joining others as a happy recipient of "The Sound of Tiki" direct from Bear Family Records...

Sven, you have more than succeeded in "creating a harmonius listening experience and mood"; enjoyed reading every page while listening and sipping multiple tropical beverages (in this case, Miehanas from the Bum's recipe).

Say, is that Martin Denny's poodle in your lap on the page 50 photo? I'm the dad of two standard poodles (the big ones) and you might not see more than poodle if either of them were sitting in your lap.

Regards,

Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 9:48 pm   Permalink

SL, good to hear from you. Please let me know where to send a copy to, your multiple compilations for the Northern Tiki crawls have been an ongoing inspiration for this project.

RB and TTD, thank you for the kudos. Yes that is Martin's poodle, I got to hold it while he held the BOT. Gecko took that picture.

I had the pleasure to -for the first time- listen to the CD IN and AT a Tiki bar, here in Prague in the "Tiki Taky" (formerly the Taky Tiki ), while sipping a Zombie (AND a Mai Tai, and..), and must say I was happy to find it WORKS. For me, it contains exactly the kind of moods and stories we all would like to hear while patronizing a Tiki restaurant -but which we cannot ask for without being "patronizing"!

Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 10:31 pm   Permalink

Picked mine up at Viva Las Vegas this weekend...and I'll agree with the others, the book alone is worth the price of admission. The artwork and layout are really great, it's like a mini-Book of Tiki. Not to mention the music is stellar. Nice work Sven...hopefully first in a series, i.e. Ultra-Lounge?

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation