FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD -preview and discussion
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-03 08:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-03 06:30, bigbrotiki wrote:

How about....."Tiki", composed by Les Baxter, and performed by Martin Denny on his "Exotica Suite" album. It'll be on my compilation.

Hey yeah. I don't have that one in my collection. Boy, this CD is going to be great, for the liner notes alone! Let us know when we can pre-order.

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-03 09:09 am   Permalink

Hey Sven,
I think you posted the cover art elsewhere - maybe you could show it again in this thread? One of the most beautiful cd covers I've ever seen.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-03 10:17 am   Permalink

It's over on Kevin Kidney's Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miehana/2501827736/in/set-72157600004461957/

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 10:55 am   Permalink

Kevin Kidney said"The album is being produced by Bear Family Records in Germany."

which is a label that has done some great re-issues of surf from the 60's

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-03 05:11, nature boy wrote:
Les Baxter. Amazing music, often credited with creating exotica. Can someone point out to me a Les Baxter song that has a polynesian title/theme?

Just for informational purposes, Les Baxter's soundtrack LP to the film "Bora Bora" would be Polynesian themed...although in sound it is very similar to "Que Mango" and some of the pieces seem to be reworkings of one another, I'm not actually sure which of the two came out first.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 11:16 am   Permalink

Kevin wrote:
"I'd like to mention that not one bit of this image was accomplished with digital trickery. This is 100% hand-embossed, hand-cut and assembled paper, photographed as you see it here! "

That pretty much says it all...here's Kevin the mad paper sculptor setting it up for me shooting it, at my house:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-03 10:57, Kaiwaza wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-11-03 05:11, nature boy wrote:
Les Baxter. Amazing music, often credited with creating exotica. Can someone point out to me a Les Baxter song that has a polynesian title/theme?

Just for informational purposes, Les Baxter's soundtrack LP to the film "Bora Bora" would be Polynesian themed...although in sound it is very similar to "Que Mango" and some of the pieces seem to be reworkings of one another, I'm not actually sure which of the two came out first.

True, that one certainly purports to be Polynesian...though Baxter always was more symphonic, film score like. But by the 60s he saw the success of his "student" Martin Denny, and did some pieces in clear Exotica style. The one track I chose is "Bird of Paradise".

Here is the cover of Bora Bora, my friend and BOT cover designer Moritz R. used the great "passionate islander" photo for Don Tiki's second CD design, and they made T-shirts of it:

I love the late 60s plot line: Swinging, island style! But still with the appropriate moral insight at the end, of course! :

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-11-03 12:27 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 5:09 pm   Permalink

so I'm kinda foggy on something here.
are you including Hawaii 5-0 by the Ventures or Don Ho?

and by the Way,
the Ventures did a great song that would be a perfect tie in here.
"Diamond Head"

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 5:28 pm   Permalink

Sung by Don Ho (but with the same driving guitar intro), segueing into "Quiet Village" - you gotta hear it to believe it! And Diamond Head is more Hawaiiana, not Poly pop or Tiki, in my view...

A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 7:25 pm   Permalink

The Bora Bora soundtrack is an interesting listen with a strange cover photo. Looks like it was shot in the California desert but has all the best reflection qualities of Ansel Adams photo. You dig these type of things up so quickly Sven, my head spins!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-03 8:06 pm   Permalink

And my favorite thing aboutmy personal copy of Les Baxter's "Bora Bora" is that I bought as a kid in 6th grade for exactly .47 cents as a big Lp clearance sale at some big department store..can't remember thenname of the store. It seems to go for big bucks these days..

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-04 8:14 pm   Permalink

kinda funny, and odd, but look at this topic that came up on the sg101 forum today.

http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10552

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 11:51 am   Permalink

The connection I see, in a simplified way, is this:

American Surfers idolized Hawaii, the birthplace of surfing -- thus Hawaiian Tikis and Tiki pendants were hip as good luck charms among California surfers -- They listened to, or were members of, Surf bands--

Although Exotica was "parents' music" to the Surf generation, the Surf scene was not as decidedly anti-establishment as the Beat and Rock scenes, so Surf bands saw no problem in adapting Exotica tunes like Miserlou into their repertoire.

I think to Surf kids, Tikis were cool just like Ratfink and the Universal monsters were cool. But they didn't really have the pocket money to buy full-size Tiki carvings, or to go out to eat and drink in Tiki temples.

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 12:01 pm   Permalink

...surf kids just stole the tikis they wanted and stole booze from the parents (or girlfriends' parents) liquor cabinets . Some basics never change!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-05 2:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-05 11:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think to Surf kids, Tikis were cool just like Ratfink and the Universal monsters were cool. But they didn't really have the pocket money to buy full-size Tiki carvings, or to go out to eat and drink in Tiki temples.

At least they could go to grad nite at Disneyland, where they could have dinner at the Tahitian Terrace and then go see the Astronauts in the Oaks Tavern! Maybe even go watch Kay Bell sing the "Surfers Stomp" in the Space Bar!

(from Psycho Tiki D's post over in Tiki Finds)

But the Mad Mountain Ramblers, I suspect, were neither "tiki" nor "surf".

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation