FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-20 5:40 pm   Permalink

I picked up a bottle of Kraken at the new Manhattan Beach BevMo last night. I was told that it had just come in that day. I tried it when I got home and I was impressed. This is quite a bit better than Sailor Jerry, which is in turn quite a bit better than Seven Tiki and Voodoo. It is sippable on its own. I also tried it in some egg nog and it was really good. You can even taste actual rum among all the flavorings.

Kraken gets the thumbs up!

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 09:16 am   Permalink

Just bought a bottle last night.
I like it.
I would like to try a non-spiced version of it.
The bottle is great, it has a handle, so now I can hold on to my rum while I stumble around the house.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 10:49 am   Permalink

I just got my free book from the website in the mail today. Very very cool. It arrived in a big heavy cardboard envelope and the book was inside wrapped in tissue paper. Silver embossed lettering on a leatherette cover. Fantastic artwork and a fun read. You have got to get one before they are gone. I didn't expect allot for something free but was not expecting something like this at all. A really upscale premium. I'm impressed by this little book if you haven't guessed yet.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 11:10 am   Permalink

Finally broke down and bought a bottle.
While it's pretty good, in a rot-gut way, it became a little overbearing as a daquiri... although I think my lime was pretty crappy, too. Next time I'll cut the Kraken down a little and maybe just do 1.5oz instead of 2.
Flavor-wise, it's different from Jerry in that it's more vanilla and less cherry. I liked it straight out of the bottle, but it's gonna need some tweaking in recipes.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-06 3:01 pm   Permalink

I was at the bar Prohibition in downtown San Diego on Friday night, and they were making "their version of a Mai Tai" with Kraken. Didn't really taste like a Mai Tai, but it wasn't a bad drink, and the Kraken seemed to give it a vanilla flavor.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 12:13 am   Permalink

I put the beast in my belly tonight, softened with a little sugar cubes. Good in coke.

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 1:42 pm   Permalink

Like Unga, I love the bottle. The rum itself impressed me too. I'm not a fan of spiced rum, but this one is palatable.

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2010-01-23 4:32 pm   Permalink

Another excellent spiced rum is Old New Orleans Cajun Spice Rum from Celebration Distillery in New Orleans. It contains a little bit of cayenne pepper along with a healthy amount of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. The rums are a combination of their white and five year. The five year is used only in the spiced rum. The New Orleans rums are generally very good. So between New Orleans and Kraken I am actually starting to change my opinion of spiced rums. They are at the top. We all know what is at the bottom.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-31 4:49 pm   Permalink

Picked up a bottle of Kraken yesterday before I even knew there was a discussion about it here. What interested me first was the dark color of the rum itself, then the bottle, and lastly the label. Still not sure what the squid is all about, but no matter, the rum is good! Straight up for me . . with a nice, full bodied maduro cigar. Good stuff.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-31 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-31 16:49, SilverLine wrote:
Still not sure what the squid is all about

Kraken are legendary sea monsters of gargantuan size, said to have dwelt off the coasts of Norway and Iceland. The sheer size and fearsome appearance attributed to the beasts have made them common ocean-dwelling monsters in various fictional works (see Kraken in popular culture). The legend may actually have originated from sightings of real giant squid that are variously estimated to grow to 1315 m (4050 ft) in length, including the tentacles. These creatures normally live at great depths, but have been sighted at the surface and reportedly have "attacked" ships

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 7:13 pm   Permalink

As seen in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest!

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2010-02-09 11:21 am   Permalink

I knew I could count on tikicentral to answer all rum questions! I saw a bottle in the store and realized I hadn't read any of the feedback. I'll get one. Love the label!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 11:30 am   Permalink

Picked up a bottle at Trader Mort's last week. They only carry one bottle at a time and I was there to get it for a friend who collects anything with a octopus on it. After seeing the bottle I decided to keep it and will have to find another one for her (yeah I suck).

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2010-02-09 11:39 am   Permalink

Check out their page: (website doesn't work all that well, but...)
a poster "coming soon"

http://www.krakenrum.com/

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-02-09 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-09 11:39, amybean wrote:
Check out their page: (website doesn't work all that well, but...)
a poster "coming soon"

http://www.krakenrum.com/

Maybe they're printing up more. They were available last November. What you really want though is the book. Get that if you still can.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation