FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
Chinarose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-23 3:01 pm   Permalink

Kraken is a little higher proof than most dark rums (96), but it's surprisingly smooth. It had a lot of vanilla and molasses to it, and was definitely sippable. I have been put off spiced rum by Captain Morgan, but this Kraken stuff was good. I think they start with higher quality rum. I usually reach for Coruba for dark rum, but I'm looking forward to trying out The Kraken in a few drinks.

View Profile of Chinarose Send a personal message to Chinarose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-04 3:40 pm   Permalink

It's been out several months now, any drinks it's particularly good in?

Thanks

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

I received a bottle of The Kraken for my birthday and it was a good gift. I agree with the others about the vanilla and molasses flavours. I personally am a fan of both spiced rum and the cherry hints of Sailor Jerry, but I do like The Kraken too. It's a cheaper rum (I do not eat bad food, why would I buy bad liquors?), and it tastes good. It is high in alcohol content, but it doesn't taste it. There's not a bad "burn" on the way down and it feels pretty smooth to me. For a Coke mixer, I still prefer the Sailor, but mixed with something a little meatier than soda, The Kraken wouldn't be bad.

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 05:16 am   Permalink

Sometimes simpler is better.....

Kraken and Dr Pepper with a twist of lemon.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-08 06:14 am   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions, anything more "tiki-ish"?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-08 06:14, MadDogMike wrote:

I recently made a Navy Grog where I subbed Kraken for the dark Jamaican rum and found it to be very nice.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-08 06:14, MadDogMike wrote:

Add a paper umbrella?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-08 10:02 pm   Permalink

If I don't get some more drink tips I may have to stick with what I know - cooking

Kraken Balls
2 cups finely chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups crushed ginger snaps
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup Kraken
Powdered sugar

Combine nuts, crumbs, honey, and booze. Chill about 15 minutes. Roll into small balls, coat in powdered sugar. Let sit a day or so before serving. Makes 24-30 depending on how big your balls are. Remind people that there is indeed booze therein, because, you know, there is.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-08 11:15 pm   Permalink

I will have to pickup a bottle and see how it is in cocktail's mike, funny cause I was in Hi-Time's today
Have not been in the store in quite a while, hit the rum isle and mixers section for some cocktail ideas
Did check out the Kraken but ended up with Cruzan Rum.

I wonder if the Kraken would be OK in a Mai Tai?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 09:35 am   Permalink

Did Dark n' Stormies with a bottle of this stuff and was pleased with the results.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-08 23:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I wonder if the Kraken would be OK in a Mai Tai?

It is a bit sweet for a Mai Tai in my opinion. Maybe if you stepped down the Bar Syrup and stepped up a wee bit the lime it would be OK.

Or, go for a Hawaiian Mai Tai with the pineapple and stuff, then you could pour a pretty heavy floater of Kraken and it should be very yummy.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 12:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks C & A!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-09 4:02 pm   Permalink

Now we're talkin'! Keep those tips coming

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 5:51 pm   Permalink

oops wrong place at the wrong time.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2010-07-09 18:09 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 4:37 pm   Permalink

I was at my local Chevy's the other day and they were serving this guy on their house Kraken drink. Gimmicky I know, but I was in one of those states of mind that trying one made sense to me. They mixed it with a mango puree or nectar, but I'm not sure what else was in it. It wasn't bad.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation