FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » 1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-03 3:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks DC! Received the luggage tag yesterday!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-14 11:12 pm   Permalink

Thought I'd show the ladies shirt I picked up last summer. It's "made in hawaii" label was used in the 1950's

It has the usual palms, huts and the aloha tower, but what got me to buy it (and add it to this thread) was this.

The Waikikian lobby building!

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-20 4:22 pm   Permalink

‘Tis the seasons so I figure it’s time to throw up some semi Christmas themed Waikikian Hotel memorabilia-

Room Key and key fob with the logo for room 41, made to be dropped in any mail box for guaranteed postage.

Car info, and an invite to a Tuesday cocktail party.

A holiday event with brandied egg nog

A nice photo in one of the huts decked out for the holidays from 1968. I obtained this from the kid who’s all grown up now and told me later Santa rolled in via a canoe. Sure beats coming down the chimney.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 2:53 pm   Permalink

Naugatiki,
You've made my Waikikian Mele Kalikimaka!
Words can not express!
I especially like the idea that we are partaking of Brandied Egg Nog from 8AM til 10AM on Christmas Morning!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-22 06:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-14 23:12, tikicoma wrote:
It has the usual palms, huts and the aloha tower, but what got me to buy it (and add it to this thread) was this.

The Waikikian lobby building!
aloha, tikicoma

Tikicoma~This is beautiful! Don't know how I missed seeing it until today!
Mahaloz for sharing.
~kele

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-01-29 08:38 am   Permalink

WAIKIKIAN HOTEL..."This famous landmark is the Ravi-lobby of the Waikikian...a combination of ancient Polynesian and modern design."

Nani Li'i Natural Color Card, published by Hawaiian Service (Ray Helbig)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LessZoa

Posted: 2013-02-21 1:02 pm   Permalink

In the category of "...where is it now..."

This is the "tiki gods" panel that hung over the kitchen/service counter of the Tahitian Lanai. As a young girl in the early 70's, my grandparents used to take me to all kinds of restaurants around the island - and the TL was probably one of their favorites as it was a huge landmark and represented the kitsch & "Old Hawaii" my grandmother loved. My grandparents moved & settled on Oahu in 1958. My grandfather decided to retire here after having been stationed at Schofield. My grandmother was a RN at TAMC (where I was born) until her retirement in 1975. They would entertain friends and family that came to visit the islands, so dining out at all these touristy spots was a weekly thing for my family. I vaguely remember the panel where it hung and when I saw it where it is today (read further) I was taken back to my "hanabata" days.

~~~

This piece was bought at the infamous auction when the Waikikian closed by the owner of LION Coffee which became part of the Hawaii Coffee Company (by which I am employed as "web master"). The piece now hangs in the LION Coffee Cafe located in Kalihi on Kalani Street.

There is some evident termite damage and obvious "fixes" done to keep the piece together. As the unofficial curator of historical items for the company, I am researching ALL of the art and memorabilia owned by the company (considering the coffee brand is just about 150 years old - that's a lot of stuff!). From Wolson Spice to Hawaiian Tikis... I so love what I'm doing here!

The piece hangs over the barista's area and many tourists who come for the factory tour ask questions about the panel. I'd like to make a fact placard to display on the wall near it, featuring the Waikikian, Tahitian Lanai and some history of Old Waikiki. Hawaii Coffee Company does free factory tours several times a day - so this is definitely a piece of Hawaiiana people would enjoy learning about.

This thread has given me so much information - thank you! But I still have some facts I need to clarify - so if anyone can help I'd so much appreciate it!

1. Who REALLY designed/carved the panel?
Quote:

On 2006-04-16 06:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
5.)Stanley Stubenberg, my favorite Tiki modern graphic designer in Waikiki, did the Menu cover for the Tahitian Lanai, and probably also the design for the carved Tiki panels behind the bar

Has this been confirmed? It does look like his style - but I'd like to have confirmation of this for the placard.

2. One of my Uncles once told me the panel was titled "Tiki Gods" - is this true, or just my Uncle being his know-it-all-self? If not, is there a name for the piece?

3. Any further story/information on the panel would be icing on the cake and a perfect addition to the placard

~~~~~

Coming from a family of collectors, I have a lot of stuff I am going through as I've inherited boxes & albums and slides that once belonged to my grandparents. If I find anything else related to the Waikikian/Tahitian Lanai, will add here.

A hui hou!
~Less

View Profile of LessZoa Send a personal message to LessZoa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-21 1:22 pm   Permalink

Wow, great post ! So nice to know I can go see that great wall hanging the next time I'm on the island. I, like alot of people on TCare big fans of the Waikikian, and this is just great news to have someone with a connection to the place.

Thanx !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 4:33 pm   Permalink

Great to know that the wall hanging ended up in a good home.

And I'm thrilled to see that memorabilia from the Waikikian/Tahitian Lanai is being unearthed!
It really lifts my spirits to see each new treasure displayed.

Less, welcome to TC!
~kele

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 5:13 pm   Permalink

I remember seeing those panels on the auction block in 97, there was a salivating crowd when it was introduced and the first bid was like $500 then everyone got quiet and it was gone. If only I had disposable income back then. Happy to see it's at a public place for everyone to enjoy. Still looks great.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 5:20 pm   Permalink

Whoooaaa! These panels are among my 10 all-time favorite pieces of Tiki modern art! I think they are the Guernica of Tiki!

Great shot, with the light giving it a sheen that really makes the lines pop out. I am so glad I got to photograph these still in situ, and use the pics in my 2nd book. I would love to see closer shots of the small metal pieces.

You know I am not sure anymore if these were designed by Stubenberg, or by Edward Brownlee. I seem to remember that Jeff Berry told me Brownlee claimed them to be his work. But they just seem so much like Stubenberg's style. Maybe Stubenberg drew them, and Brownlee carved them? I think Brownlee is still living up North somewhere...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 13:02, LessZoa wrote:
In the category of "...where is it now..."

A hui hou!
~Less

And where it was.

There is another thread on the Tahitian Lanai
HERE

Thanks for posting Less. Look forward to more of your finds.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 6:05 pm   Permalink

Look's like I've got me a coffee shop to visit tomorrow, thanx for the pic and stories, Less. Lucky you to be going thru your family's golden era Hawaiian treasures!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 6:47 pm   Permalink

Jeff Berry put a nice B&W shot of it in Sippin' Safari, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 7:37 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2013-02-21 17:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
You know I am not sure anymore if these were designed by Stubenberg, or by Edward Brownlee. I seem to remember that Jeff Berry told me Brownlee claimed them to be his work. But they just seem so much like Stubenberg's style. Maybe Stubenberg drew them, and Brownlee carved them? I think Brownlee is still living up North somewhere...

Have you not been reading? Edward Brownlee, CLEARLY states in his letter (as transcribed in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs) "I carved the panels around the broiler from the 'Tahitian Lanai.'" And yes, Ed and Phyllis are living in Oregon. And, pictures of both locations ARE in my book...

[ This Message was edited by: phillip roberts 2013-02-21 19:45 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation