FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ 1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-16 5:07 pm   Permalink

Artist rendering postcard .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-16 6:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-16 10:53, naugatiki wrote:
It is a print, this one hangs in the back room. I framed it trying to mimic the shark tooth motif of the building and ravi lobby. It measures about 20 X 26. Iíve seen one before several years ago on auction but was outbid and when this one came on a few months back I didnít let it slip through my fingers. I wish I knew more if its origin. It would be nice to hear it was available at Jillís Gift Shop in the gardens. It is dated 1968 on the bottom left by the signature. It is romanticized to the point of having an ocean in front of the building rather than the reality of the traffic of Ala Moana Blvd that was normally there, Artifice, where would poly pop be without it?

Oh, Gregg, so you're the one that I was bidding against for this print! I was devastated to lose it, but at least now I know that it went to a good home!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-16 7:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-16 09:15, Sophista-tiki wrote:
I think maybe a new version of the fabric might be in order. A couple different color schemes and views of the building. I'm knee deep in Waikikian paintings right now. It would look good as a boarder print

Dawn, that would be so fantastically wonderful!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 09:52 am   Permalink

Oh, Gregg, so you're the one that I was bidding against for this print! I was devastated to lose it, but at least now I know that it went to a good home!
~kele
[/quote]

Yeah isnít ebay great with its revamped anonymous users policy. Before we use to know who the dirty bird that outbid us and now I have to look on Tiki Finds to see who got the prize.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 7:43 pm   Permalink

I found a little something else from the Waikikian, a swizzle from the time when it was 'Home of the Hawaiian Polo Club.'

~kele

bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-07 3:39 pm   Permalink

A saddle roof is one which follows a convex curve about one axis and a concave curve about the other. The hyperbolic paraboloid form has been used for roofs at various times since it is easily constructed from straight sections of lumber, steel, or other conventional materials.[1] The term is used because the form resembles the shape of a saddle.
Sometimes referred to as a hypar, the saddle roof may also be formed as a tensegrity structure.[2]
Mathematically, a saddle shape contains at least one saddle point.

You can see from the pictures, the roof was made of long straight pieces of wood.

A good example of a hyperbolic paraboloid is a Pringle.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 9:27 pm   Permalink

More photos dug out of my old 90s albums (remember photo albums? )
These had been on my mind to post for a while, and the recent Beachcomber post finally made me dig them all up together.
I hope they provide some additional thrills for us Waikikian geeks here:

A moody shot of a Tiki (already over-painted) and flaming Tiki torch in the Waikikian Tiki Gardens.
Looking up from that, the tower of the Ilikai looms over the quaint Waikikian, dwarfing A-frames and Tikis, and announcing the new era of Hawaii 5.0 Waikiki:

My son Diego and me as a young man in one of the Tahitian Lanai's dining huts at the end of the gardens:

Now here is a flash-lit shot, which I usually abhor, of the room:

But I felt I needed to document the amazing carved desk that every room sported. Where else have you seen a CARVED likeness of the Tiki temple as part of the decor!? It really proves how much that A-frame was the logo of the place. Couldn't take that with me, but the dressers had little carved drawer pulls:

I wonder who owns one of those desks now!
After the Waikikian was gone, my friend Doug Miller helped me to track down the original artist's rendering of the hotel:

It was a beaute, over 4 and 1/2 feet long in all. It was in the possession of the wife of the contractor who had torn down the place. Unfortunately she did not want to sell it. Life is no fair sometimes. Luckily I got to use the rendering in Bosko's(?) brochure for Tiki Modern.

Last not least here is a pic of me at the home bar of black velvet painter David Voss. I interviewed him for Tiki News.

David's black velvet nudes graced the Tahitian Lanai. He was one of the regulars there since the beginning, and even had met his wife there. I hope they switched to La Marianas when the Lanai shut down.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 07:16 am   Permalink

Iíve always wanted to see one of those carved desks close up and am impressed at how elaborate the carving looks. I was wandering around the hotel about a week before the auction and remember seeing the parking lot askew with all these desks from the rooms in several rows but didnít have the foresight of going in for a closer look thinking they were just plain old desks, ah regrets. Luckily I waved down a manager and asked about the tiki lamps in the rooms and he took me to one being used to store them with those horrible non tropical lampshades. A few of the employees took some as souvenirs but I was able to procure 7 of them for a sweet deal. I was driving a Honda Elite moped at the time and with 3 in the basket 2 on the floor board and balancing one on my lap I was quite a sight putting along Kalakala Blvd.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 10:31 am   Permalink

Aaaah, love those urban archeology adventure stories filled with triumphs and regrets!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 10:51 am   Permalink

Could it be that the mystery tiki in the left pic was at the Tahitian Lanai? I know they aren't the same carving, but it just seems similar somehow. Does the building in the background match in any way to the Tahitian Lanai? I can't tell.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 11:19 am   Permalink

Chub, those Tahitian Lanai hut posts are more authentic, standard Tahitian/Marquesan style posts that became quite common in early 60s American Tiki temples as Oceanic Arts adopted them. The left one with Elithe Aguiar is more stylized in the direction of Polynesian pop - taking the Tahitian post concept as a starting point, but executing it in a more whimsical manner.

Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-13 11:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
Chub, those Tahitian Lanai hut posts are more authentic, standard Tahitian/Marquesan style posts that became quite common in early 60s American Tiki temples as Oceanic Arts adopted them. The left one with Elithe Aguiar is more stylized in the direction of Polynesian pop - taking the Tahitian post concept as a starting point, but executing it in a more whimsical manner.

I hear you Sven, and agree, but does that mean there is no way these two pics weren't taken at the same location? Have we identified the building in the background yet? Looks like a hotel or office type building to me.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2010-11-13 11:25 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-14 11:56 am   Permalink

Aloha!
Quote:

On 2010-11-12 21:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
More photos dug out of my old 90s albums (remember photo albums? )

That's some good stuff, Sven.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-01-03 22:52 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-14 4:07 pm   Permalink

Sven,
You're making me cry, both with joy & with heartache, missing the Waikikian & Tahitian Lanai & so ecstatic to see pictures. I had seen pics of the drawer pull, but not the desk itself before. I would be so thrilled to see any & all pics that you (or anyone else) might have of this wonderland. Even badly taken snapshots of anything at the Waikikian/TL would make my day, week & year! & yes, I'm old enough to remember photo albums. Besides all of those that I have from my childhood in a lovely mcm house constructed in 1956. I also have a lovely one that my dad filled when he was stationed in Oahu during WWII. Fortunately, he arrived after the attacks on Pearl Harbor, when things were fairly quiet.
~kele

aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-14 10:47 pm   Permalink

Wow, more incredible stuff on this thread! The Waikikian holds a special place of honor for me, with the magic of its design.

Great to see naugatiki's post of the Lloyd Sexton print - one can only hope that finds its way to reproduction someday! And the desks and drawer-pulls are fantastic. Sven - looking at the flash photo, were those cinder block walls in the room? That seems surprisingly "institutional" for a place with such attention to form and finish.

Also, funny how the Waikikian seemed quaint next to the Ilikai, which itself is becoming a relic these days. Progress, I guess. Here's a closeup from the Ilikai brochure, circa 66, showing how the mass of the Ilikai quite literally overshadowed the iconic form of the Waikikian.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation