FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TikiG's San Fernando Valley ART/CHOP - January 23rd
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
TikiG's San Fernando Valley ART/CHOP - January 23rd
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 3:28 pm   Permalink

Cheekygirl -

Thanks for your generous offer regarding your chisels...

I have a few smallish logs stored in my garage that should be dry by January. I'll give them to anyone who is genuinely interested in carving a tiki from them. I may have a few chunks of Douglas Fir left-over from my first attempts at carving too.

Its coming together!!

Who else is in for a day at G's?

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-14 3:41 pm   Permalink

TikiG count me in.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 3:50 pm   Permalink

Hey Murph-

Good to hear from you, man! Awesome to see you'll be in the house

Are you working on anything special?

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGeeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 4:04 pm   Permalink

I'll need to see as it gets closer, but I'd love to go. I've been dying to get into carving, but having never done it before, not sure where to start. Would be great to chat to some carvers. At the very least I'll bring my art book along and do some sketching.

Honoring my gods one sip at a time.

View Profile of TikiGeeki Send a personal message to TikiGeeki  Goto the website of TikiGeeki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-14 4:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-14 15:50, TikiG wrote:
Hey Murph-
Good to hear from you, man! Awesome to see you'll be in the house
Are you working on anything special?

The neighbors cut down one of those "HUGE" Dr Seuss palm trees and, like an idiot, I said "Can I have it?"
so now I've got a big palm tree lying in my front yard and figure it's a good time to learn how to carve it.

So no, not working on anything special... well, maybe a hernia when I try to move the thing.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 6:00 pm   Permalink

I will be there.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
geedavee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-14 6:40 pm   Permalink

I will be there.
All the logs I have are too heavy to move so I may have to work on something small.
Maybe an extra tiny log someone could spare?

I will bring my chisels as well.

Are power tools welcome or needed?

I am very excited about Art/Chops coming to this area.

View Profile of geedavee Send a personal message to geedavee  Goto the website of geedavee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 09:06 am   Permalink

TikiGeeki - Hope you can make it out to the Valley on the 23rd. I'm unsure how many carvers will be present (as of today) but we'll get you started regardless. There will be plenty of painting and sketching going on so yeah, bring your sketchbook

hiltiki - Great to see you will make it! What project(s) will you be working on?

geedavee - Welcome aboard too! Power tools are welcome, of course - but you will have to bring your own along with a portable workbench or sawhorses. Personally I paint so my tool selection is almost non-existent. I do own a few chisels and mallet. Electrical hook-up is no problem, as there is a double outlet available in the backyard. I'll run a couple orange grounded extension cords with grounded power strips.

There is direct access from the driveway into the backyard. Of course if it should happen to rain on the 23rd I will make room in the garage for the carvers.

Thanks for the response so far. Without your support...well you know! More info to come later. G

tiki since '67!

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 09:38 am   Permalink

Do you have a log to spare? If so, count me in. Sounds like fun!

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop 2009-12-15 09:40 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 10:04 am   Permalink

PolynesianPop - It'll be awesome to see you!

So... let me put the call out to TC Ohana:

Can somebody can bring a couple extra log pieces, palm or otherwise to the art jam/CHOP January 23rd-

Please do!! You will be helping our homegrown art effort(s) enormously and your generous act will be returned two-fold - a gesture of friendship

There is a tree nursery close to my house in Sylmar. I'll stop by after work this week to see if they can spare some log pieces for the chop effort.

Thanks! Greg

tiki since '67!

tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-15 10:30 am   Permalink

Murph...

I have a white Globe light that needs to become a fish float lamp.

Perhaps you can school me on this, and it will be my project for the day ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-15 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-15 10:30, tikiyaki wrote:
Murph...

I have a white Globe light that needs to become a fish float lamp.

Perhaps you can school me on this, and it will be my project for the day ?

Let's do it! I'll bring my fish float fixin's.

WaikikiWomb

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 11:11 am   Permalink

Lamp building talk -

I LOVE IT!!

I'll be finishing one and shit - I guess I'll be starting another. I use whatever the thrift shops can offer up for the basis of a lamp (baskets, old non-polypop swag lights, bamboo items etc)then add polypop fabric, bamboo, rope etc to fill out the design. A little creative impulse and some elbow grease, you can really create something nice that's unique.

There's never a shortage of rough material available to create cool things with

tiki since '67!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2009-12-15 11:12 ]

CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 12:42 pm   Permalink

I'm not using my horse, so I'll bring if someone needs it. Only caveat, I'll load it in my Element, but if you wanna use it, ya gotta unload it (Back Issues lately)

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 12:16 pm   Permalink

Bump --

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation