FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-12-18 9:50 pm   Permalink

JOHN-O my apologies to both you and Mr Naufrago.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-19 12:48 am   Permalink

It must be pretty common to have to fight off giant apes when in the jungle.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2009-12-19 00:53 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-12-19 12:58 am   Permalink

And just how many white people got lost in the jungle and grew up to be King or Queen of the jungle?

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-12-19 01:05 am   Permalink

A jungle girl's work is never done.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-19 07:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-18 11:41, Mister Naufrago wrote:
Some not less obvious records...

Jungle drums "pale cover" UK pressing

Here we have an album cover that I think really is the epitome of this style we are talking about...almost cartoonish, yet also primitive/modern....and the font! One of my favorites (Like that used in "Hatari", as someone else mentioned) with the letters at different heights...I wish I could see into the mind of the creator and figure out what they were thinking.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-19 12:05 pm   Permalink

Ha! I always thought that cover was 1990s Shag cover art, because of the CD:

Seems that Josh just altered the original 1958 art work, which is by "unknown". Obviously a big inspiration to his later work.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-19 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-18 11:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

Quiet Village was initially about a generic TROPICAL village:

Also there are no snakes in Polynesia and for the most part, no navigable rivers.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-19 20:51 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 12:10 am   Permalink

Ahh yes, reminds me of my youth, running threw the jungle, punching out giant Gorillas!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 04:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-19 12:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha! I always thought that cover was 1990s Shag cover art, because of the CD:

Seems that Josh just altered the original 1958 art work, which is by "unknown". Obviously a big inspiration to his later work.

Me too.
I´m not a Shag connoisseur, so maybe I´m wrong, but I find some stylistic coincidences too with the art of this record cover.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 10:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-19 19:45, JOHN-O wrote:
Also there are no snakes in Polynesia and for the most part, no navigable rivers.

Well, that's where the more general locale of the "South Seas", and the "South Pacific" comes in, adding Papua New Guinea to the fray, where African pop iconography and Oceanic art seemed more alike: They had everything there, rivers, snakes, crocodiles, dark skinned head hunters with shields and spears, fearsome masks, initiation rituals --you name it.

I tried to steer around this in my liner notes for my upcoming "Sound of Tiki" CD, talking about Exotica and Martin Denny coming up with the sound:

"By this time, Honolulu had become a polyglot melting pot of many Pacific cultures and races. While local Hapa Haole songs portrayed the romantic and ribald side of the Hawaiian people, Denny’s music spoke of the intriguing mysteries of yet unexplored tropical islands, misty jungles, and the “curious and colorful customs” of indigenous folk."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 10:26 am   Permalink

Grog, that Lorna comic has such great art work, in each panel! The perspectives with foreground/background, the detailed environments, the dynamic angles...that one panel on the bottom of page 2 where she is in silhouette and says "I hear and obey and obey, o master!" -that's real art! And all in a day's work for the cartoonist...

And talk about imaginative fauna and flora: Crocodiles, Vultures, man eating plants, AND that giant river octopus we have never heard of!

And the mind boggles at all the strange names these Jungle heroes and heroines had! I touched on it in Tiki Modern, mentioning LADARA and LOANA in conjunction with SHEENA, but your ZEGRA takes the cake! And then the guys:
TOKA, KAANGA, DAGAR, and TONO AND KONO!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-21 10:47 am   Permalink

This may be slightly off topic, not sure. But I find the following postcard interesting.

Auditorium Hotel, Houston TX

What's interesting is that this is during the war, right before the time period of the Congo Jungle menu I posted earlier. What's with the animals? LOL It's a bit more circus theme than Jungle. But definitely exotic with the mountains in the background. Kilimanjaro perhaps?

Oh, forgot to mention that it is my understanding that the Jamail brothers were WWII vets. Perhaps they had been to and were inspired to go with a jungle theme by this bar?

[ This Message was edited by: thebigt 2009-12-21 12:11 ]

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-22 07:58 am   Permalink

You know how the word "Oooga Booga" (or "Uga Booga") is always being used by Jungle natives (or even in Tiki culture) ?

Well it's actually not a very nice word.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ooga%20booga

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-22 08:17 am   Permalink

Believe half of what you see, a third of what you hear, and NOTHING that you read on the internet

I'm thinkin' those definitions for "ooga booga" came up in the last 5 years and were not in use 50 - 70 years ago.

On a slightly related note - as children (or sometimes adults), we have ways that we mimic or caricature foreign languages such as African or Asian languages. It is very amusing to hear non-English speaking children do their impression of English

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-22 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-18 13:22, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

There were "Zebra Rooms" scattered throughout the U.S. There's even one in Torrance, CA that's still open. Unfortunately, it no longer has its neon sign featuring a Zebra with "running motion" legs that I remember so fondly as a child.

Who needs "running motion" legs ?? The Zebra Room in Torrance opens at 6am !! (sadly only now on the weekends).

This is the best Sunday "breakfast" spot in the South Bay.

By noon I guarantee you'll be seeing those "running motion" legs.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-22 15:46 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation