FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-26 10:32 pm   Permalink

OK, here's pictures of the Safari Room in Mission Hills ( San Fernando Valley) which is the only operational mid-century Safari-themed bar/restaurant in the Los Angeles area. I don't think anyone else here has identified any others. "Jungle-style" is even more of a vanishing breed than original Tiki-style was.

Although there are numerous items of African decor, I can tell the place is devolving into a locals' sport bar as was evident by the 5 TV screens broadcasting college football. I don't mind too much, in Los Angeles I'm thankful for any mid-century establishment that still feels vintage. The existing masks, spears, leopard-skinned shields, and kitschy outdoor signs are a bonus. I spoke briefly with the owner of the last 6 years about their origin. She said she didn't know, but she was proud of the fact that she had several generations of patrons who had fond childhood memories of the place. (I wish I was one but I grew up in the other Valley.)

I encourage mid-century pop culture fans in the area to visit the place. For those making the trip to the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood, the Safari Room is 9 miles north of there at 15426 Devonshire Street, Mission Hills.

The food and cocktails are very reasonable. (There was a Mai Tai on the drink menu but I was sticking with gin.)

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-26 23:28 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-27 6:59 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the report on this last of a dying breed. I was there only once while the Lucky Tiki was nearby, years ago. I love the spear (not bamboo) divider screen, and where does one get to see the now un-p.c. giant turtle shells nowadays. And the fact the sign still has the witch doctor on it, cool.

And we also have yet another Papua New Guinea cross-over with that mask by the booth...

..which happens to be another Oceanic Arts classic:

..of which we had several examples here on TC lately.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-12-28 08:58 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-28 09:19 am   Permalink

Regarding the "Crossed Spear and Shield" icon, I recalled one more existing example in L.A., the LANCER MOTEL on Rosemead Blvd in Pico Rivera:

(image clipped from the net)

Although it is not in the best of shape (it looks like it could have had an A-frame porte cochere once), the black and white shields and lances on the wall facing the street, and the Spear'n'Shield on the side wall are still there. A photo expedition would be in order here!

The LANCER concept might be connected more to Indian Exotica (like some of the Safari places and Jungle movies we saw here), its source being this once famous story and film:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-28 12:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-28 09:19, bigbrotiki wrote:

Regarding the "Crossed Spear and Shield" icon, I recalled one more existing example in L.A., the LANCER MOTEL on Rosemead Blvd in Pico Rivera:

....A photo expedition would be in order here!

Nice !! I'll try to make a side visit on my next outing to the Tamarack Inn or Steak 'N Stein.

FYI, Pico Rivera is going to be the new Echo Park (or should I say Highland Park?). The area has many ironic mid-century gems waiting for the hipsters to "discover". The Lancer could make a pretty nice boutique hotel.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34079&forum=16&10

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-28 12:32 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-30 5:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-04 22:22, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well until I have something more rare, Bettie will have to do.
Unless anyone has a pic of Vampira in a bikini?

Frolic Vol. 1 No. 3 December 1951

(apologies for not having scans handy....)

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2009-12-30 6:10 pm   Permalink

GROG never realized there were so many Jungle Girls.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2009-12-30 18:11 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 2:12 pm   Permalink

Okay, this is the last post on "Jungle Girls". I think as a subject it probably has the least connection to Polynesian pop (even though they are mentioned in TIKI MODERN). But they are so tempting. So, for the last time, here is the ultimate collection of babes named Shuna/Tegra/Ruhla/Vooda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOWC3vg--rM&feature=related

Jungle Girls have a great history in B-movies, too, here is one of my favorite titles: "Death by Voodoo"!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kppat7eUAmE&feature=related

Here's a nice foreign version, Tarzana, what a pretty kitty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCSQ_BI2skM&feature=fvw

By the middle of the clip we get to see one of the harmful influences that civilization had on native life: Clothes!

One of MY favorite examples is LIANE, and not only because she is German. Here is the trailer for her first film, the titles being a prime example of African pop poetry! "AFRICA...! Vast! Primitive! Deadly! ...from the Pounding Fury of its Naked Heart!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QduqkUXSts

Here is a most endearing scene from her follow-up film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXsZ5Ienq8&feature=related

Happy New Year!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 5:18 pm   Permalink

Ah....Mei-Chen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8FvJ1l1e2c&feature=related

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-01-01 6:33 pm   Permalink

The Wild Animal Park in San Diego definitely had a Safari theme when it opened.

Check out this great image of the Nairobi Village entrance:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-01 14:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Okay, this is the last post on "Jungle Girls". I think as a subject it probably has the least connection to Polynesian pop (even though they are mentioned in TIKI MODERN).

Maybe, but I'll take a Jungle Girl over a Hula Girl any day of the week.

Jungle Girls are better to have around when attacked by an angry gorilla or lion. What help is a Hula Girl going to be? (Except maybe serve as lunch while you get a chance to run away).

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-01 19:14 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 7:30 pm   Permalink

HA, Sabu, great image...Naomi just flashed back on the fact that the place was a big deal among kids of her generation, so much that when new kids she met did not get her name right at first, they would say "What...NAIROBI?

John-O, that reeks of Hula Girl discrimination! After I have already put them in their place as pre-Tiki, we have to be careful, or they all run away!

PiPhiRho

Posted: 2010-01-02 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I don't want to see any Hula Girls showing up unless they're being eaten by a lion or being boiled by African cannibals.

Not a Hula girl, but it is african themed dance and it does feature a nude woman being boiled in a pot by African cannibals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi1Iaf9Gk_4

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-02 2:20 pm   Permalink

Good one! Now THAT'S what I wanna see next time I walk into a Trader Vic's!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-02 2:27 pm   Permalink

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-02 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-02 14:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
Good one! Now THAT'S what I wanna see next time I walk into a Trader Vic's!

You know actually a Jungle-themed bar would be great idea for a "New Cocktailian" business specializing in Tropical drinks.

It could be just like the place Starsky and Hutch visited...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14293&forum=1&vpost=494712

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation