FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-07 08:26 am   Permalink

Aaah, I remember Clarence from watching Daktari as a kid in Germany. On this album you can hear his cross-eyed sound effect:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26173&forum=16&vpost=341766

...and I did document some African pop primitivism in that whole thread, if anyone cares to take the journey again:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26173&forum=16

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-07 08:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-07 02:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I remember that a very elderly "Clarence the cross eyed Lion" was at lion country safari, Calif. when they first opened in Irvine.

ATP,

The timing of your comments after BigBro's thoughtful academic commentary was one of the funniest posts you've done. It was like you were playing the opposite to his "straight man" in a comedy duo. Tiki Central would make a great TV show !!

Overall though I think we've managed to keep the thread on track.

Thanks for the book references Bigbro, I'm going to see if the first two are available at the library.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-07 15:51 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-07 2:02 pm   Permalink

Yes, John-O it has been a while since I used the Bettie Page Macro on my keyboard

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-07 3:50 pm   Permalink

Careful with that macro ATP, BigBro had the last word on the Jungle Girls here. He's since banished them from this thread. That includes Jungle Bettie. He knows we won't focus on the "ugly" furniture with all those distractions around.

Now give me a minute while I turn off the TV again, otherwise Mister Naufrago isn't going to come back.

He's gotten me really interested in seeking out more Miguel Covarrubias African wahines. Everytime I think I've found some they turn out to be really dark Balinese women. A trip to the libary is in order. Google is making me too lazy.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-07 8:30 pm   Permalink

i think this is my favorite thread.... Tiki is coming full circle back to Exotica... luv it!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 12:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-07 15:50, JOHN-O wrote:

Now give me a minute while I turn off the TV again, otherwise Mister Naufrago isn't going to come back.

There´s no need to turn off the TV Johnn-O.
Just switch channels.
Check this RAI jungle masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAMZ6Yeu1F8

Neither is strictly necessary go to the library to enjoy some African inspired Covarrubias art.

http://catarina.udlap.mx/u_dl_a/acervos/covarrubias/elemento.jsp?clave=32150&nombre=africa_batouala_bocetos_dibujos_y_recortes

[ This Message was edited by: Mister Naufrago 2010-01-08 00:35 ]

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 09:19 am   Permalink

Wow Mister N., thank you for that Covarrubias archive link, 2480 images, jeez!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 09:26 am   Permalink

Aaaah, Miguel and Rosa in Bali, that must have been the best time of their lives!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 09:59 am   Permalink

Oh, and photos of Walter Spies, their host:

He was sort of the German Covarrubias -for Bali, at least. Here's one of his paintings:

http://www.adidharma.net/features/walterspies.htm

..but that's more Exotica material, back to African pop!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 10:19 am   Permalink

I'm not sure if this book was inspired by Africa proper or African America. I understand that Covarrubias hung out in Harlem as well as having traveled through Africa (What a life !!). Most of the posts here on TC focus on his Oceanic-inspired art so I'm glad this thread is giving a more comprehensive overview of his work.

I've located it in the LA Central Library's rare book section. I'm assuming that means I can't touch it, let alone make photo copies if it. Used copies on Amazon are going for over $500 !!

Thanks again, Mister Naufrago. I suspect the popularity of this thread is due to your (and BigBro's) posts. You've taken it in directions I hadn't imagined when I started it.

Or maybe people are just hoping ATP is going to post more Bettie pictures (Stop right there ATP, Stop !!)

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-08 13:30 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 5:33 pm   Permalink

OK, so let's move the discussion from high-brow art to low-brow art.

As a young boy in the early 1970's, my family used to visit relatives in L.A.'s (primarily African American) Crenshaw district. I remember driving by businesses which had black velvet paintings displayed out on the sidewalk. The subject matter wasn't Polynesian wahines but rather large-buxomed Black women with huge afros. I'm sure there were other "Black Power" and African themes but I just remember the cheesecake.

Here's a "vintage" example that I saw on Ebay going for $500. Pretty cool Exotica, huh? (Although I question whether this painting is really that old. The date of creation was listed as 1970-1989 !!)

It is a nice kitschy change of pace from all of the white Jungle girls we've seen so far. We need more Black exotica girls !!. Here's Pam Grier in a rare non-urban role (And wearing the leopard skin no less. Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

The vintage stuff would be almost 4 decades old by now so I wonder how much of it survived.

I'd love to see this specific genre of velvet art comprehensively documented somewhere.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 10:24 am   Permalink

Well I don't think you will see that happen on Tiki Central, I don't expect folks that gather here to all of a sudden start pulling Afro-velvets out of the woodwork.

...there might be one or the other weirdo who does, but you might as well wish for Spanish-themed velvets!

(thank you for the lame excuse to show some gratuitous nudity )

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-09 10:30 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 10:24, bigbrotiki wrote:

.....I don't expect folks that gather here to all of a sudden start pulling Afro-velvets out of the woodwork.

One can only hope BigBro.

Besides maybe Sabu or Dustycajun have a secret collection fetish that hasn't been introduced here before?

I did discover this however. There's a velvet paintings museum in Portland called Velveteria that had a 1960's "Black is Beautiful" exhibit last year. Sadly this museum closed down this month.

Maybe this post might inspire some of the Tiki Revival artists here to focus their talents beyond just Tiki iconography. I'm not really a Tiki mug person but I'd buy a Pam Grier "giant afro" mug or a Mayan Princess exotica velvet painting.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 2:03 pm   Permalink

...and where do you get this strange need from to continuously post and ask for all this non-Tiki related stuff on TIKI CENTRAL? I am all for expanding creative horizons, and discussing other influences and facets of Tiki, and toying with them, and I am gladly playing along as long as I see SOME connection to Tiki concepts somewhere, but Afro is Afro, Mayan is Mayan, and this not WORLD PRIMITIVISM Central.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 2:48 pm   Permalink

Oh man, am I in the Tiki doghouse again ??

Maybe I'll move over to "Beyond Tiki" where it's safe.

BigBro, if you're going to police "General Tiki", then I gotta say there's a lot more bigger offenders than me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation