FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 14:48, JOHN-O wrote:
Oh man, am I in the Tiki doghouse again ??

Maybe I'll move over to "Beyond Tiki" where it's safe.

BigBro, if you're going to police "General Tiki", then I gotta say there's a lot more bigger offenders than me.

Agreed, in terms of posting content that belongs into Food and Drinks, or Collecting, or any of the other forums, General Tiki sometimes seems like a free-for-all. But often, that misposting is is done newbies, and usually it is not done in this jumping-up-and-down-screaming-"Me,me,me!"-way.
And I am not policing, I am just giving my opinion, anybody else is free to do so ---but many many good folks here have already thrown the towel, I am just the most tenacious left, because I like a good discussion. Emphasis on GOOD, though.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 5:38 pm   Permalink

I like a good discussion too....

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 14:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
...and where do you get this strange need from to continuously post and ask for all this non-Tiki related stuff on TIKI CENTRAL? I am all for expanding creative horizons, and discussing other influences and facets of Tiki, and toying with them, and I am gladly playing along as long as I see SOME connection to Tiki concepts somewhere, but Afro is Afro, Mayan is Mayan, and this not WORLD PRIMITIVISM Central.

C'mon BigBro, even at the beginning of this thread you acknowledged we weren't talking about Tiki....

Quote:

On 2009-12-01 19:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
No no, we know this is not a TIKI thread, but a side subject/ related/ Exotica thread. And scholarly shmolarly, this is visceral fun......

I don't think it's so strange to include "Afro velvet" discussion since a lot of those Black pride images were based on African iconography, i.e. the whole point of this thread. And isn't this type of exotica and black velvet art complementary to Tiki in spirit?

As for "my asking for things", I intended that to be taken rhetorically not literally. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. You did however give me my Spanish velvet image anyway.

As for TC not being WORLD PRIMITIVISM Central, are you saying we should avoid any discussion of Pop Primitivism which isn't Polynesian or Oceanic based? I gotta believe I'm misinterpreting your comment there.

And as for my continuous posting of non-Tiki related stuff, it was my original (non-Tiki) thread on Embers Lounge that lead to the identification of Frank Bowers as the artist for many of the Polynesian murals in pre-Tiki LA. If any of this stuff needs to be in "Beyond Tiki" please feel free to relocate the thread. I do however try to make the Tiki connection where ever I feel it exists.

As for the use of my name in the titles of my posts, OK I'll stop doing that. I didn't think people found it THAT annoying. I come from a Sales background, so I'm all about building a brand. For some of my other threads however, I am providing 90% of the content. I treat my Las Vegas and San Gabriel threads almost like blogs.

Anyone else care to comment?

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-01-10 10:10 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-10 08:25 am   Permalink

One of the things that drew me to Tiki was my interest in world cultures; their foods, their music, their art. Or maybe my lifelong interest in Tiki drew me to other world cultures, who knows? And yes, I understand that Poly Pop really isn't about Polynesian culture. But the fact is that Poly Pop has used imagery from many primative cultures, including African.

I have been reading this thread with interest, as have many other people (8,000 hits) - I haven't chimed in much because I didn't have anything intelligent to add

Sven, after close to 50 posts by bigbrotiki you seem to have suddenly soured on this topic; is that real or are you just giving John-O a bad time? Could this thread fit in "Beyond Tiki"? Sure, but I don't really think it's out of place in "General TIki" either. Seems that in 2 months and 8,000 hits, it would have be U-Moderated out if it bothered people here.

Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 09:11 am   Permalink

This thread is one of the better threads we have had...where I would definitely agree with Sven is that 70's black power imagery is not really consistant with "tiki" (even though there may be a connection to Witco)...but as far as 50's, early 60's era "jungle" imagery (and especially as it pertains to music and film) I think it is so close to the intent of tiki that it merits inclusion in this forum. As I read it, the purpose of Tiki is a lighthearted and frivolous approach to world cultures, as seen through a "hollywood" prespective of the mid-century.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 11:12 am   Permalink

All good points John-O. Kudos for taking the time to go back and find the right quotes from me. But I did not "suddenly sour" on this thread's concept, for me it is all about balance, and the right measure, which was getting lost, in my opinion.

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 11:56, JOHN-O wrote:
I'm not really a Tiki mug person but I'd buy a Pam Grier "giant afro" mug or a Mayan Princess exotica velvet painting.

This kind of stuff was just leading away too far from mid-century pop primitivism, and thus Tiki culture. If someone would offer this material up with a concise history of its evolution and its parallels to Tiki and its time, wonderful, but I doubt that was going to happen. To just post far-fetched material because one is running out of the truly related stuff is weak.

Again, all this is just my personal opinion: I applaud what I like, and critique what I don't like, kind of like I pick and choose the material for my books. That's how one defines a style. The difference here on TC is you don't have to listen to me. I realize that my clout weighs heavier than others, but I cannot change that, all I could do possibly is shut up.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 4:59 pm   Permalink

BigBro wrote "I realize that my clout weighs heavier than others, but I cannot change that"

I don't know if you should see a Doctor for your condition or stop rubbing it in, but what do I know,since I have been clout free since 2003

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-10 17:04 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-10 11:12, bigbrotiki wrote:

......To just post far-fetched material because one is running out of the truly related stuff is weak.

Well it's like this BigBro, to me Tiki is just one of the many interesting roads among the different streets and avenues of mid-century pop culture. Sometimes I'm gonna take the opportunity to make an unplanned detour when the "car" happens to be near a fun neighborhood. Don't worry though, I haven't lost sight of the original destination.

With that analogy, I did have the opportunity this weekend to conduct some Tiki Central field work. I was in the vicinity of Pico Rivera, so I made a detour and took these photographs of the Lancer Motel that you had suggested earlier.

While I didn't get a chance to talk to the motel's management, one of the guests of this fine establishment was happy to speak with me:

"Hey, what the fuck are you taking pictures of !!"

Not to worry, I know how to charm unfriendly natives when on expedition.

With captured prize in hand, I capped the afternoon off with a celebratory Navy Grog at the Bahooka. There I ran into Mr. and Mrs. Sperm Whale and got a copy of the Hard Riders' CD. Nice !!

Well now I really am tapped out for ideas for this thread. I'm guessing this is my last post. I think however we can look forward to BigBro's Witco post to end all Witco posts.

It's been fun kids. Aloha !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 11:03 pm   Permalink

You left the Home Tiki Lounge to go outside!!! what!
John-O, never leave the Tiki Lounge! its scary outside!
please call us when you return to let us know you got back safe. OK,OK man!

NEVER LEAVE THE TIKI LOUNGE,NEVER!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-11 09:11 am   Permalink

This has been a great thread, I hate to see it go...

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-11 6:27 pm   Permalink

Hey this thread isn't going away. Please please keep it going.

I just need to get of the jungle for now.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-11 6:33 pm   Permalink

Indeed. Thanks for going on that dangerous photo safari, John-O. Talk about the shield and spear logo! Wonder if it always was black and white. And those beams on the left edge of frame 2 and 4, they look like they could have supported an A-frame that connected to the building, making a roof over the driveway, no?

Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 01:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-11 09:11, MadDogMike wrote:
This has been a great thread, I hate to see it go...

We could use a drink to smooth things over.

Topic related drinks, of course.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-12 06:34 am   Permalink

I'm not sure I want to know what flavor "Wild Africa Cream" is

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-12 12:01 pm   Permalink

How about some Pistachio Creme then?

Instead of seeing elephants, you get visions of these nubile dancers!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 09:32 am   Permalink

The above cordial might be best imbibed in -- how could we forget!-- the classic Trader Vic's COFFEE DIABLO mug...

...which I was reminded of when finding this portrait of African American artist James Lesesne Wells from around 1930:

one of his prints:

....which I found in the book mentioned by Vern in this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35146&forum=1&5

The cup he is holding was on exhibit, too:

While not an exact replica, the Trader Vic mug certainly must have been inspired by it, or a cup like it:

A prime example of African to Polynesian pop cross-over!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-16 09:34 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation