FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ General Tiki ╗ ╗ The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 4:53 pm   Permalink

I think we tried to take a look at the Congo Room sometime around 2002. I think we found the little sign over a door in the hallway leading up to it, but not much else, and didn't get inside. Probably not so exciting a sight nowadays anyway, but it would be nice to see what it was like in the days of that menu.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-28 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-06 08:36, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-05 12:58, Mister Naufrago wrote:

Here┤s one for Zeta. Old Spanish design and Miguel Covarrubias drawing
Amazing psychic connection between two artist from two countries?

Mister Naufrago,

Another interesting contribution to this thread. Thank you !!

What exactly is that thing on the left supposed to be?

Also where do the Spanish items (Tikis, mugs, etc) that you post originate from? Are they made in Europe?

Hey Mr. Naufrago, do you own one of these?
Here is mine:

Spanish vintage "exotic African" mug
How do you call this "thing"? The real one from Africa. I knew, I just can't find the piece of paper where I wrote it into.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-28 07:58 am   Permalink

Note that the face on my mug on the picture above is not black.
Quote:

On 2010-01-06 10:58, Mister Naufrago wrote:
Gracias JOHN-O
"The thing" is a mug.
I previously posted a image of that mug (minus lid) on this thread.
That picture was taken in its natural environment, the jungle/tiki themed bar in Andalucia. Unfortunately the place is now closed.

It was used for a cocktail named something like "Mother-in-law Killer"
"A dreamy labyrinth of rum, juices and subtle spices from tropical paradises"
You are right. All these artifacts made in Spain and are from my collection.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-28 08:05 am   Permalink

In a Polinesian bar in La Mancha, the name of which I have no desire to call to mind...

One small detail, the mug is HUGE.

Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 06:04 am   Permalink

[/quote]
Hey Mr. Naufrago, do you own one of these?
Here is mine:

Spanish vintage "exotic African" mug
How do you call this "thing"? The real one from Africa. I knew, I just can't find the piece of paper where I wrote it into.

[/quote]

No, but judging the sheer quantity of the mug┤s images on this thread it seems to be a fairly common one. So probably I┤ll just go out and buy a couple of them.

I found this "ORIGINAL Vintage WAIKIKIAN Hotel TIKI Mask" that is now for sale on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-Vintage-WAIKIKIAN-Hotel-TIKI-Mask-WOOD-PANEL-3_W0QQitemZ160376576538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2557305a1a

Seller┤s link

http://gregg-n.tripod.com/waikikiantour3.html

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 2:14 pm   Permalink

Good catch, Mr. N. I have one of these (from when I found them with above seller at a store in Hilo) and I did not see that connection. Note that they had it set upside down in their screen doors at the Waikikian.

TA- DAAAH ! So finally, here it is, Big Bro post Nr 7000 ! I decided to make it the long-promised WITCO AFRICANA post, since Witco is one of my specialties, and this is a juicy one, lotsa work:

I briefly touched on Witco's African influence in my "History and Meaning of the Leopard Print" chapter in Tiki Modern, but there is much more. While Witco obviously aimed to avoid to become too culturally specific with their statues and wall masks and more often than not gave them generic names like "Gnomie" and "Primitic"....

...there were a few exceptions, like the "African God" and "Pygmy Ruth" above, and the "Mbulu Ugulu" mask below...

...a version of which to this day graces the main A-frame at the Tiki Resort in Lake George:

(I sure hope I will get to photograph this mask this year!)

An African mask on a TIKI Motel- the ultimate proof of African pop primitivism playing a part in the cultural chaos of Tiki Modern.

But while cultural definition was kept unclear in the wall hangings and statuary, Witco went wild in the home bar sector:
Early examples such as the NAIROBI GROUP...

...were introduced with "The atmosphere of Africa dominates the room..."
All this was motivated by "The Voyager Collection" concept, which was fitting for all kinds of exotic ports of call
(also see p.238 of TIKI MODERN):

...of which perhaps the "African Bar Group" (which is gracing the opening pages of the Book of Tiki) is a prime example of multi culti mixing:

Despite its name, the center piece of that "African" bar is a Papua New Guinea mask, actually the very mask that Trader Vic's created their logo from, based on a rendering by Covarrrubias:

The trend continued with the clunky "Safari Bar"...

...and went on into the golden age of the Witco bar, the 70s, with such fine pieces as the "Kenya Bar":

The 70s also saw the "African Tiger Skin shield" with spears and hassock...

...and one of my personal faves, the "Witch doctor Magazine rack". Which brings to mind another modern primitive classic, the Witchdoctor lamp:

Last not least the much-coveted "African Shield Lamp":

...here flanked by "Polynesian Male" and female.
Some designs, like this dynamic Ron Hovde rendering, never made it past the drawing board:

Which brings me to this piece, a real Rosebud of modernist Africana:

I found this obscure wall hanging on its stained fabric at an antique mall in Palm Springs. With its lack of characteristic wood grain, I would have never pegged this for a Witco. But at that time I already had the advantage of my research, and dimly remembered the shape of this carving, so I bought it.

I am glad I did: Despite its aesthetic value being in question, what we have here is perhaps the EARLIEST Witco carving still in existence, a "P-2" from Witco International's very first catalog sheet ! :

So, now that I have got you with your mouth hanging open in astonishment at such a rare artifact, I will hoist a glass to the next 7000 posts...

...and all the undiscovered marvels yet to come!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-01 2:21 pm   Permalink

And what a great 7000'th post it is... Love the pictures..
SALUD to you!!!

BB

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 2:35 pm   Permalink

Cheers! To Sven and his 7000 posts...

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 2:53 pm   Permalink

Well done, bigbro!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 3:10 pm   Permalink

I tip my cap to you, oh Exhaulted Pubah 'O Tiki. I gotta find one of those witch-doctor magazine racks!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 4:19 pm   Permalink

No kidding! These are some of the best photos EVER, Sven!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 4:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-01 14:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Which brings me to this piece, a real Rosebud of modernist Africana:

Rosebud?

What's an old sled

got to do with Witco style african art?

Congrats on number 7,000 it's a peach.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: dustycajun 2010-02-01 21:37 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-01 5:01 pm   Permalink

Congrats Sven...truly a quality post. I am slightly more appreciative of Witco in the animal print, thanks for those pics. I'm sure after your 14000th post I could even spring for the African Shield Lamp (I'll start saving now). Keep those cards and letters coming!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 5:55 pm   Permalink

Congrats Sven!

These stone carvings from Africa are in the City Club in Los Angeles.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 5:58 pm   Permalink

Nice !! But I like the fake stuff better.

Ungawa Bwana !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-01 18:00 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation