FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 6:01 pm   Permalink

Congrats Sven,

you da man
wonder if JP has seen your post yet?
he was wondering what it would be about when I saw him in Nor. Cal.

cheers.
Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-02-02 09:51 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 6:52 pm   Permalink

Very nice Sven, I would not even consider goofing on this post.
Here is to many more posts!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 08:03 am   Permalink

Great Buy!
Good Eye Sven!

Here's to 7000 more informative posts!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 11:43 am   Permalink

Bigbro´s 7000 post is cause for joy and celebration, so don´t let it be the epitaph for this thread.

Old postcard from a bar named "Snug".

The garlic and the roman sculpture are probably a homage to Scipio Africanus, so they are not totally out of place

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-27 16:53, aquarj wrote:
I think we tried to take a look at the Congo Room sometime around 2002. I think we found the little sign over a door in the hallway leading up to it, but not much else, and didn't get inside. Probably not so exciting a sight nowadays anyway, but it would be nice to see what it was like in the days of that menu.-Randy

I just happened to find myself at the Sahara last week. Indeed, the whole Sahara has nothing vintage left in it, everything was moved to one tower, they closed the older ones. Places like the House of Lords Steak House and Caravan Cafe are not the original ones, so why should the Congo Room be.

I followed the signs....

...but by the time I found it, I didn't even wanna try to get in.

Well, what can one expect from a place whose main attraction are its NASCAR-themed venues now!

R.I.P., Congo Room

Luckily, just around the corner, there still is the GOLDEN STEER, in all its classic American Steak House splendor:

(I know THIS is not African Americana either, but I didn't want to end with that depressing Nascar stuff)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-09 1:10 pm   Permalink

At least I think the Sahara still has the camel statues out front somewhere. The same ones that appeared in Viva Las Vegas!

Sorry, still not on-topic re: jungle stuff though.

Maybe there should be a "beyond" topic for exotic desert culture. That shows up on the same exotica LPs as some of the other themes (far east, africa, polynesia, etc.). And I've always thought there's maybe a parallel with today's veterans of conflicts in the middle east, and midcentury veterans from the pacific in WW2. How come we don't see escapist desert theme restaurants?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 1:34 pm   Permalink

Not so many specifically Desert-escape-themed restaurants, but I do see quite a few Oasis, Aladdin, and Arabian Nights-themed places. I've got a great cocktail napkin I'll have to dig up with a sheik sipping a cocktail on his flying carpet.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 8:05 pm   Permalink

Remember kids, the SAHARA only came up in this thread because it housed the CONGO ROOM, which IS part of the African pop genre, as many other Congo clubs and restaurants were. Alladin-type stuff would be its own genre.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-10 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-09 20:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
Remember kids, the SAHARA only came up in this thread because it housed the CONGO ROOM, which IS part of the African pop genre, as many other Congo clubs and restaurants were. Alladin-type stuff would be its own genre.

Really? Do you mean like maybe that would be in its own separate thread, somewhere like "Beyond Tiki"? Why didn't I think of that?

Shoot, here I was just getting ready to post a whole bunch of NASCAR images, but I guess that would be its own genre too.

Just kidding. No harm trying to keep on-topic. I had a couple more things to post later if I can get around to scanning them.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 06:33 am   Permalink

Hawaiiana meets Africana

As far as I know this Eclectica Exotica record was released only in Europe.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-12 10:03 am   Permalink

Nice Mister Naufrago! you are the king of dust!

Now dig this:
Quote:

On 2010-01-04 14:36, Zeta wrote:
Safari

Mints for canibals

I never actually opened the little bag until resently and see what I found...

Little white man'd explorer hearts!
Sub-zero!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boom Boom Room
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-19 8:45 pm   Permalink

If any of you jungle starved tikifiles will be going to Ohana 2010 in Lake George, NY, please come to my Room Crawl room. It will be a jungle exotica feast, featuring a World Premiere, the debut of what I am billing as the most amazing exotic drink dispenser in captivity - the one and only Incredible Jayne Mansfield Witch Doctor Experience. The drink? A reverse-engineered version of the Mai-Kai's Black Magic cocktail, of course. Pictures will be posted after the fact. Just to tease you, though, there is something about a cocktail poured from a woman in a leopard fur bikini in a cage in a motorized cauldron with a light show surrounded by an 11' x 5' leopard fur backdrop with three 2 1/2' x 3 1/2' jungle movie posters hanging on it that somehow makes the drink taste better.

View Profile of Boom Boom Room Send a personal message to Boom Boom Room      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 5:41 pm   Permalink

come on Vitco! when was the last time you saw a tiger in Africa?

and the beat goes on.... li'dee di dee di...

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 8:06 pm   Permalink

It's a Jungle out there!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-25 07:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-28 07:48, Zeta wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-06 08:36, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-05 12:58, Mister Naufrago wrote:

Here´s one for Zeta. Old Spanish design and Miguel Covarrubias drawing
Amazing psychic connection between two artist from two countries?

Mister Naufrago,

Another interesting contribution to this thread. Thank you !!

What exactly is that thing on the left supposed to be?

Also where do the Spanish items (Tikis, mugs, etc) that you post originate from? Are they made in Europe?

Hey Mr. Naufrago, do you own one of these?
Here is mine:

Spanish vintage "exotic African" mug
How do you call this "thing"? The real one from Africa. I knew, I just can't find the piece of paper where I wrote it into.

From the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston:

Case closed!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation