FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 1:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-10 03:29, TikiTomD wrote:

And I LOVE stories and images from abandoned theme parks. There are websites dedicated to them, like:

http://amusementparksoftheworld.com/amusement/10-most-incredible-abandoned-theme-parks-on-earth/

http://www.nileguide.com/blog/2010/05/26/8-abandoned-american-theme-parks-open-for-exploration/

...and lots of Google images. I have been to the "Spree Park" in Berlin...

...and of course all our favorite, "The Tikis" in Lake Elsinore, CA:

And now, back to JUNGLE & SAFARI style

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-10 15:30 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 12:58 pm   Permalink

It's never too early to be introduced to Exotica.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 2:37 pm   Permalink

Which begs the question, where did the whole "Being boiled alive by cannibals" scenario originate ? I don't think there's any anthropological basis for this, it's probably a figment of popular fiction.

There's the 1930 Disney short,
Cannibal Capers...

And did you ever hear about the cannibal who had a wife and ate kids?

Ha, ha.

Update - Brudda Bear got his in below but let's NOT turn this into a joke thread !!

If anyone is a fan of pre-1930's fiction and knows of a depiction of people being boiled alive in a pot, that would be intesting to know about.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-12 14:53 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 2:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-12 14:37, JOHN-O wrote:

Ha, ha.

Or the cannibal who informed his wife that he hated her mother's guts, so she told him to push them aside and eat the vegetables?

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 3:46 pm   Permalink

Interestingly, someone used the pictures I took of the old Jungle Island, Buena park area....for their blog...

jungle-island-buena-park-california.html" target="_blank">http://tikiarchitecture.blogspot.com/2010/06/jungle-island-buena-park-california.html

My original post

jungle" target="_blank">http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30585&forum=1&hilite=jungle island

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 4:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Update - Brudda Bear got his in below but let's NOT turn this into a joke thread !!

Apologies JOHN-O and everyone else, I certainly didn't intend that.

Bear

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-04-12 4:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-12 16:14, Brudda Bear wrote:
Quote:

Apologies JOHN-O and everyone else, I certainly didn't intend that.

Bear

No problem Brudda Bear. BTW, for cannibal jokes and stories, there's lots a room for more over here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=12391&forum=13&start=0

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 5:08 pm   Permalink

Actually Lucas, we've already visited Jungle Island on this thread before.

And don't feel bad about someone else "stealing" your content for their blog, I've seen entire paragraphs from my Las Vegas thread lifted for a travel website article (with some minor word-smithing).

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 5:35 pm   Permalink

Here are some more great German and Austrian mid-century "Africa Exotica" ceramics
(I forget which page my first examples were on):

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-12 17:08, JOHN-O wrote:
Actually Lucas, we've already visited Jungle Island on this thread before.

And don't feel bad about someone else "stealing" your content for their blog, I've seen entire paragraphs from my Las Vegas thread lifted for a travel website article (with some minor word-smithing).

Well, I would'nt actually call that "stealing", because once you post a picture it becomes public domain....but I just want everyone to know that those pictures were taken by ME from my cellphone camera, and were part of my first, last and only foray into documenting my attempt at urban archeology.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 07:35 am   Permalink

i agree... i have been amused by seeing the text i put together for the mainlander restaurant ending up in every other ebay listing for the mainlander tiki mug

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 09:14 am   Permalink

Lucas, you need to copyright yourself before someone steals your brand !!

Copyright Laws for Using Pictures on Internet / Public Domain?

And BTW, here's the Bigbro's orginal "Afrika Exotika" post.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-13 09:14, JOHN-O wrote:
Lucas, you need to copyright yourself before someone steals your brand !!

Copyright Laws for Using Pictures on Internet / Public Domain?

And BTW, here's the Bigbro's orginal "Afrika Exotika" post.

I am not worried about pictures. I am much more worried that some time in the near future, some "tiki" musician will release an album of "dark continent" styled music. There have been a few instances of direct and indirect examples of musical plagarism in the tiki scene already. It does dissapoint me, because I believe artists should carve their own niche and not straight out copy the format and concept from other bands. Tikiyaki orchestra was totally the victim of this, and that's a shame, since they were very unique in my opinion.

Though I am not the first musician to do "dark Continent" styled songs, (and keep in mind that I was doing "exotic" music for years before I ever discovered this forum, and have only released 1% of that type of material here) I have a feeling my ideas will be ripped off eventually. But good luck with that, because you need more then a casio keyboard and a band of Rhesus Monkeys to make good jungle music!

congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 12:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Which begs the question, where did the whole "Being boiled alive by cannibals" scenario originate ? I don't think there's any anthropological basis for this, it's probably a figment of popular fiction.

There's the 1930 Disney short, Cannibal Capers...

Ha, ha.

If anyone is a fan of pre-1930's fiction and knows of a depiction of people being boiled alive in a pot, that would be intesting to know about.

John-O, let me put on my film historian hat for a minute and answer your question. The earliest "boiled in a pot" movie I've seen is Ham and Bud's one-reel comedy THE PHONY CANNIBAL (1915). I don't have a still for that, and I'm sure the boiled-in-a-pot motif goes back pre-motion picture era long before that, but it was definitely a popular motif in a lot of comedy films of the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's and on. I don't have a still for THE PHONY CANNIBAL, but here is one I used in my book Mack Sennett's Factory (
http://www.amazon.com/Mack-Sennetts-Factory-Brent-Walker/dp/0786436107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302721876&sr=8-1).

This is from the 1926 Mack Sennett Comedy A SEA DOG'S TALE. Billy Bevan is about to become the main dish for gourmet cannibal chef Vernon Dent, far left (some of you may recognize him, out of blackface, for his later frequent work in Three Stooges comedies).

Caltiki Brent

PS - When I was editing our Ding Dong Devils video for Jungle Doctor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DUHPfCgc6I) I was going to use a boiled-in-a-pot clip for Puka von Pele's line "Headhunters? Now I'm in a stew!", but opted not to because it seemed too literal (and was too short a reference).

[ This Message was edited by: congawa 2011-04-13 12:21 ]

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 1:20 pm   Permalink

The cannibals boiling person alive in pot was used by Pia Zadora in her video of The Clapping Song sometime in the Eighties. It was later edited out when many viewers claimed it was racist.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation