FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-11 2:50 pm   Permalink

Its human spaceflight plans in disarray, NASA is searching to rediscover its mojo. Meanwhile, back in the jungle...

Esquire November 1959

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-17 6:10 pm   Permalink

Never heard of this, but Johnny Weissmuller (aka Tarzan the Ape Man) had plans in Fort Lauderdale for an "Ungawa Cocktail Lounge of the posh Mai-Kai type"...

St. Petersburg Times October 4, 1969

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-18 3:47 pm   Permalink

A Jungle-style cocktail lounge on the scale of the Mai Kai ?? It boggles the mind.

I also appreciated the ironic use of "Ungawa" outside the context of a Tarzan picture.

Good research Tom !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-29 7:10 pm   Permalink

Gotta love YouTube…

I've read about Josephine Baker's infamous "Banana Dance" at the Folies Bergère in the 1920's. Footage of it actually exists, albeit in a more conservative version for the American audiences that it was intended for.

For the French, she only wore a skirt of bananas, that's it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmw5eGh888Y

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-29 8:00 pm   Permalink

chub factor 10.

Bless you, John O!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cso3CxWJzoM&feature=related

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-08-22 8:07 pm   Permalink

I found this while stumbling around the internet. I think it can go here.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 1:24 pm   Permalink

This had been in heavy rotation for me as of late...

I know this might be old hat for the hardcore Exotica collectors out there but for those who rarely leave the Les Baxter/Martin Denny/Arthur Lyman comfort zone, it might be informative. Chaino gets scant attention here on TC.

This out-of-print compilation CD had been on my wish list for quite a while now, I recently picked it up at BigTikiDude's Surf Convention of all places !! The signature sound is jungle percussion, tribal chanting, and jungle grunting and howling.

Some of this stuff is pretty crazy, the song "Jungle Chase" is an unabashed depiction of hot jungle sex. The fact that it came out in the late 1950's boggles the mind !! And "Rockin' Bird Bongo" and "Swinging Congo Bird" take the whole Exotica "bird noises" schtick to another fun level.

And check out this kinky (for the time) S&M jungle imagery...

Here's the revalation for me. I always assumed Chaino was from Africa. His publicized mythology states he was an orphan who was "the only survivor of a lost race of people from the wilds of the jungle in a remote part of central Africa where few white men have ever been."

The real fact is that he was born in Philadelphia and grew up in Chicago !! The guy was as fake Exotic as Korla Pandit was (and which makes his music all the more cooler IMHO).

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 3:20 pm   Permalink

John-O educating the Ohana!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-09-07 3:36 pm   Permalink

Checking Chaino on youtube a commenter noted Kirby Allen the record producer that discovered Chaino died recently in a house fire after - "The woman who made it out of her home reportedly said Allan woke her up and she was able to make it out of the house."

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/firefighters-respond-to-mesa-house-fire,-find-man-dead-in-home

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 4:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-07 13:24, JOHN-O wrote:
I know this might be old hat for the hardcore Exotica collectors out there...

Ooops, I just reviewed past posts on this thread and noticed this ground has been covered. (Images only though, no keywords to search on). It took me that long to finally acquire the CD, ha ha.

Never mind...

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-09-07 16:34 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 11:17 pm   Permalink

3 Chaino cds for sale here
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/artist/Chaino/a/albums.htm

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-08 07:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-07 15:36, martian-tiki wrote:
Checking Chaino on youtube a commenter noted Kirby Allen the record producer that discovered Chaino died recently in a house fire after - "The woman who made it out of her home reportedly said Allan woke her up and she was able to make it out of the house."

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/mesa/firefighters-respond-to-mesa-house-fire,-find-man-dead-in-home

Wow!! Didn't know about this. So sad. Thanks martian-tiki.

A lot of the Chaino CD's can be found at the Dionysus Records website too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-08 08:19 am   Permalink

Would PNG Tiki be the blending of South Pacific and African recreations?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava Kerwin

Posted: 2011-09-10 2:19 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Kava Kerwin Send a personal message to Kava Kerwin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava Kerwin

Posted: 2011-09-10 2:19 pm   Permalink

From Mogambo

[ This Message was edited by: Kava Kerwin 2011-09-11 19:47 ]

View Profile of Kava Kerwin Send a personal message to Kava Kerwin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation