FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-18 01:08 am   Permalink

Rarotonga was technically Melanesian but she vibes more Pam Grier to me !!

(image courtesy of Zeta)

I must find this movie !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-21 12:11 am   Permalink

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-03 07:45 am   Permalink

I love the movie serials of the 1930's and 1940's. I recently spend the last several weeks grinding my way through this one…

The plot revolves around Nazi agents scheming to control an African tribe as a way of expanding their domination into the Europe prior to WWII. If anyone thinks "Indiana Jones" was an original concept, they should watch this B-grade series.

As with all Jungle pictures of that era, no attempt was made to provide any cultural authenticity. It's a wild mix of African "natives" speaking with Californian speech cadences, stone temples with Mayan designs, crumbling Asian idols, exploding volcanoes, magic swords, and a mystical indigenous Jungle Queen who is whiter than white.

No Tikis though.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-03 4:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-03 07:45, JOHN-O wrote:

As with all Jungle pictures of that era, no attempt was made to provide any cultural authenticity. It's a wild mix of African "natives" speaking with Californian speech cadences, stone temples with Mayan designs, crumbling Asian idols, exploding volcanoes, magic swords, and a mystical indigenous Jungle Queen who is whiter than white.

No Tikis though.

still way cool, though! Seems to have all the elements we associate with exotica!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-07 7:06 pm   Permalink

INGAGI... another movie I really want to see, alas it's a lost film.

Probably one of the loopiest pre-code flicks, this 1930 Jungle picture claimed to show a ritual where African women were sacrificed to be brides of gorillas. The lurid premise and featured nudity were justified on the basis that it was an actual documentary.

The public bought the hoax !!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-14 6:49 pm   Permalink

Is there any better example of the common Zeitgeist between Jungle-style and Tiki-style than Adventureland ??

Or maybe that's been discussed already.

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-28 3:25 pm   Permalink

cool, finally a thread I can get into!!
my backyard is full on Jungle cruise inspired!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-28 3:30 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-19 11:27 am   Permalink

Just ran across this last night. A pc from the Congo Jungle nightclub in Houston, TX that I hadn't seen before! Thank you Boston Public Library! Bigbro, I have an email coming your way.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-12-15 07:53 am   Permalink

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 10:53 pm   Permalink

https://archive.org/details/jungle_stories_spring_1954_sheena_story_sword_of_gimshai

Sheena Queen of the Jungle story
the Sword of Gimshai
Jungle Stories Spring 1954

I'm confident the are many other wonders to be found in archive.org's ebooks/pulp section.

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2014-01-01 06:42 am   Permalink

While researching jungle girl movies, I repeatedly encountered references to Jungle Film magazine. Turns out it was published from 1960 to 1968 in French, and was a fumetti comic which presented old jungle movies, mostly Bomba and Weissmuller flicks. Some repetition occurs because of reprints...

This is an excellent history of that magazine:
http://bmania.pagesperso-orange.fr/Junglefilm0.htm

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-10 2:44 pm   Permalink

Not a "Tiki" bar, they call it an "Adventure" bar !!

Either way you know the drinks are gonna be GREAT.

Opening soon...

And I don't know about you but I miss that White Devil.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-10 3:09 pm   Permalink

BigT those covers are wild!!! I was so in love with Johnny W. he WAS the jungle.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-10 3:54 pm   Permalink

Ah, now this a thread I can get into.

An "adventure bar"!! That's a great idea. I have to persuade my gf to take drive out there one of these weekends.

I know it's off-tiki, but I also have a penchant for Indiana Jones movies, and bossa nova music.

In other words, if it's tropical and adventurous, I'm in!!

(I've also spent some time volunteering in Kenya; a different kind of adventure. Though I did go on safari, too.)

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

View Profile of PabTiki Send a personal message to PabTiki  Goto the website of PabTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation