FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 07:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 00:31, Mister Naufrago wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-12-02 12:46, lucas vigor wrote:
Mr. Naufrago, are you from Spain?

My father was born in Andalucia.

Sí paisano.
My grandparents left the country and I was born and spent my chilhood in Venezuela.
The family returned to Spain after el Generalisimo death.

You should visit Andalucia some day.
The weather is great, beaches, surf, lots of Tiki and even ocasional earthquakes.
Just like in California.

That's cool! My family was very anti-Franco...actually, my great grandfather was assasinated by his thugs, right in front of the house. (he was a minor politician)..

I have been there, but not recently. It's on my radar to go back within a few years. One of my cousins clued me in that there is a lot of Tiki in Spain.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 07:45 am   Permalink

Muy bueno, Senor Naufrago !! Los Banana Splits es muy magnifico.

BigBro, would it be possible that the most famous shield and spears in Tiki iconography might have been "African" ?

I'm sure the native Polynesians carried such things but did Tiki-style include weapons that were uniquely Oceanic? I always assumed these items were part of the African Pop Primitism cross-over. Uga Booga natives were always chasing the white expeditions with spear and shield in hand.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-03 08:17 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 09:07 am   Permalink

Good point, that sign! Totally had zoned that out. Well, it ain't from Rapa Nui.

BUT, as mentioned above, the South Seas/African melange was much easier to justify (not that anybody cared) with the participation of the Oceanic tribes of Melanesia, which certainly used spears and shields.

Now that you reminded me, quite a few Tiki Temple signs incorporated warriors shields, like the classic triple/quadruple shield sign that was used for the Kon Tiki Tuscon, the Leilani Wisconsin, and a Tradewinds Motel. There was a link here bout that somewhere...

Here is one of my personal faves:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 09:07, bigbrotiki wrote:

BUT, as mentioned above, the South Seas/African melange was much easier to justify (not that anybody cared) with the participation of the Oceanic tribes of Melanesia, which certainly used spears and shields.

Yeah but were the designers of those Tiki bars and restaurants even aware of the Oceanic tribes of Melanesia? What's the pop cultural reference point? I'm sure most people in the 1950's had seen "King Kong" and those Uga Booga natives running around on that tropical jungle island (with shield and spear in hand). "King Kong" was a hugely successful and influential film that might have cemented this stereotypical blueprint for decades to come.

I wanna see a picture of King Kong in your next book.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-03 11:53 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 12:00 pm   Permalink

More 1930's Pre-Tiki Jungle Madness....

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-12-04 12:42 pm   Permalink

Ingagi has King Kong beat by three years (1930 vs. 1933).

From IMDB: Igagi plot;
An expedition enters an area of the Congo jungle to investigate reports of a gorilla-worshipping tribe. After many dangerous adventures, they come upon the tribe they sought, only to watch as a virgin is sacrificed to a huge gorilla, who takes her away. The expedition follows the gorilla in an attempt to save the woman.

However, I'm sure King Kong was seen by way more people.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 12:52 pm   Permalink

Yes, in terms of pop culture impact and influence, King Kong was it. Something tells me though that the makers of "INGAGI" might have tried to sue the KING KONG producers...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 1:37 pm   Permalink

Check out BigBro's shirt.

Proof positive that African Pop Primitism is the key to unleashing your inner Tarzan sex appeal.

Forget, Tiki-style. If you wanna get lucky with the wahines then go Jungle-style !!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 1:56 pm   Permalink

Nononono....it's not that easy:

Papua New Guinea shields = South Sea artifacts = part of Tiki style --NOT Jungle style.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 3:33 pm   Permalink

My bad. I thought those were Zulu shields.

Hmmm... Melanesian, huh? The term Poly-Pop might not be inclusive enough.

Oceanic Pop, anyone ??

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 6:16 pm   Permalink

Yeah right, John, that's SUCH a buzzword, it'll stick with everybody long after "Polynesian pop" is forgotten!

Stop trying to rewrite history. Polynesian pop is called that because at least 3/4 of the imagery used in it is from Polynesia (or it SHOULD be), and 100% of its inspiration and motivation came from Polynesia. The few exceptions just prove the rule.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 7:43 pm   Permalink

I'm not trying to rewrite history BigBro, I'm just engaging in some internet philosophizing (and kidding around).

Dude, I'm one of your best Tiki students and I want to explore the other "25%" of Poly-Pop (and related fun stuff) that doesn't get as much discussion around here. I take your work very seriously.

TC should be more that just a message board for party notices, pictures of dirty cocktail napkins, people asking the same question over and over, and one sentence posts. I'm just trying to add some variety here.

Anyway, I think it's time to get back to the cheesecake. Everyone seems to like that.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-04 19:54 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 8:25 pm   Permalink

By your command John-O.........just had my finger on the trgger for a few days now!

I think many people forget that Tiki culture is meant to be FUN!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-04 21:11 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 9:36 pm   Permalink

John-O, I totally agree. I am indeed grateful for your continued posting and probing, and I have followed you down this path gladly -up to a point! And then, when it gets TOO ridiculous, you get the stick.

But really, thank you for your mostly intelligent, sometimes a little off incentives to engage in intelligent conversation about this ridiculously unimportant topic we call Tiki. You have made me re-think, or re-assert stuff I had taken for granted.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 9:47 pm   Permalink

Oh A.T. Punk, why did you have to do that. Unfortunately, our Betty has become a cliche of a cliche, and only elicits a tepid yawn from the ephemera seeker. Tiki CentraL is about pop culture ARCHEOLOGY, the hunt for and discovery of never before glimpsed visual treasures and rarefied imagery previously unknown to the masses!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation