FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 10:22 pm   Permalink

Well until I have something more rare, Bettie will have to do.
Unless anyone has a pic of Vampira in a bikini?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 10:25 pm   Permalink

But Sven, that is why we count on you for the rare stuff, although I think you are minimizing Bettie's impact on pop culture.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mashuka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-05 12:05 am   Permalink

View Profile of Mashuka Send a personal message to Mashuka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-05 03:25 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: PiPhiRho 2009-12-05 03:28 ]

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-05 03:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-04 22:22, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Unless anyone has a pic of Vampira in a bikini?

OK... Vampira in a bikini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzAWK7dCJmA&feature=related

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 03:59 am   Permalink

You Guys are great! sorry about hijacking the thread John-O.
so to get back on track, John-O you were moving into the 1940s & 50s, influences of Primitive & African culture on those times.

Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 06:18 am   Permalink

Ok, you do like cheesecake, but what about "torta de queso".

Tongolele, Queen of Tahitian Dance. And in my book Queen of Faux Fur Bikini too (sorry Bettie).

Beware of euro-leopardas.

End hijack.

[ This Message was edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-12-05 06:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mister Naufrago 2009-12-05 06:29 ]

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 06:52 am   Permalink

Back to the safari (old continent style)

img]http://tikiroom.com/img/9089x4b1a6fb1.jpg[/img]

El Safari Park is was a Spanish institution. Half a zoo, half an amusement park.
Some were cool but lots of them just were plain tourist traps.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 07:42 am   Permalink

Well, among all of these (WTF does Vampyra have to do with Jungle pop?), Tongolele is the closest related, her clips on U-tube are fantastic, this series most of all!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7a_BVYFSlk

Her bio is quite interesting:

>>Yolanda "Tongolele" Montes (b. Yolanda Ivonne Montes Farrington, January 3, 1932, Spokane, Washington) is an exotic dancer and actress of the Cinema of Mexico. In Mexico she is considered the seminal "rumbera" and exotic dancer along Kalantán and Su Muy Key.
Tongolele became a professional dancer when she was only 15 years old. Her father was Spanish/Swedish, her mother French/English and her maternal grandmother was of Tahitian descent.
She starred in several films from the 1940s through the 1980s but most people remember her from the classic 1971 film "Isle of the Snake People" starring Boris Karloff in one of his last roles. Tongolele is still active in television, theatre, and nightclubs. She is still well known in Spain and Latin America.<<

BUT we have seen her already in the EXOTICA GIRL thread, and that's were it belongs. Yet, digging this up again, I was lead to THIS marvelous series of Tretchikoff-style paintings, many of them indeed AFRICAN POP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZApgnkM8qvw

Am I reading this right, SHE painted these!!?:
"Ademas de ser la mas grande bailarina con una impresionante trayectoria de muchisimos años, Yolanda Montez TONGOLELE, es una fantastica pintora y escultora en ceramica. Cuando Dios da talento, lo da a manos llenas.."

Please translate, Mr Naufrago.
And yes, enough Exotica girl stuff. How about some record covers IN THE GENRE at hand ?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 2:03 pm   Permalink

I would LOVE to hear that album!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-12-05 8:13 pm   Permalink

Back on page 3 Bigbrotiki posted the Swerer’s Safari matchbook ~

Tiki-Kate also has this and while helping her find information on it we found out that Swerer's Safari looked like this ~

and that Swerer is Bob Swerer (One of these guys, I'd guess Mr. Glasses in the middle)

and he released this album ~

Here is his version of
Groovin.

According to Google searches it looks like Bob is still kicking and currently some kinda outdoorsy filmmaker, still in Fort Collins. Nice!

Sorry about the small pictures.

More fun Safari album covers here.

Last but not least my only very reflective Safari matchbook ~

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 8:39 pm   Permalink

Good finds!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 9:29 pm   Permalink

Let's see, where did I leave off? Oh yeah…..

1. Bettie Page - No need to apologize to me on this one ATP. I still remember the visceral thrill I got when I first picked up the "Bettie Pages" some 20 year ago and thought "Hmmm. This is interesting……". I also assumed I was familiar with all the existing Jungle Bettie pics but that zebra one was new to me. Thanks.

2. Vampira - We should start a new thread for Vampy on "Beyond Tiki". She's one of the original old-school Goth girls for the sub-culture that refuses to die (ha, ha). Also Vampira had a close Las Vegas relationship with mid-century pop icons Liberace and Elvis Presley. I'm sure they all hung out together at the Aku Aku and DTBC LV at some point.

3. BigBro comments "…..thank you for your mostly intelligent, sometimes a little off incentives to engage in intelligent conversation about this ridiculously unimportant topic we call Tiki." - Hey I take that as a major compliment from Tiki's very own Yoda. And yes I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes use Tiki as an excuse rather than the point for my many rambling pop cultural posts.

This next one is no exception:

OK, so what do the following animal-skinned hotties have in common:

Well IMHO they were all inspired by a particular 1940's genre called "Good Girl Art". This is a term used to describe the comic books which featured scantily clad, amply proportioned heroines. A sub-genre of "Good Girl Art" was the Jungle Girls. Now I know many of you might be familiar with "Sheena, Queen of the Jungle" (since she had her own live-action 1950's TV show) but the overall number of JGs was staggering. In addition to Sheena, there was Jana of the Jungle, Jann of the Jungle, Jill of the Jungle, Judy of the Jungle, White Princess of the Jungle, Nyoka the Jungle Girl, Princess Pantha, Jungle Lil, Leopard Girl, Zegra Jungle Empress, the list goes on and on. Even Pre-Tiki icon Dorothy Lamour got in on the action.

One of the most explicit JGs was "Rulah, Jungle Goddess". Check out the suggestive phallic symbology.

Eventually this all caught up with the comic book publishers as the Hayes Code did with the movie studios in the early 1930's. In his book "Seduction of the Innocent", psychiatrist Fredric Wertham accused the horror, crime, and "sex" comics of the time as being a key influencer of juvenile delinquency. Even Batman and Robin were accused of a "homosexual wish-fulfillment" relationship. This lead to U.S. Congressional inquiries which resulted in the self-imposed CCA (Comics Code Authority) in 1954. Comic books were then neutered and made safe for America's children.

Here's an interesting observation. This is an example of one of Bettie Page's many fetish photos. In the 1950's this had to be obtained under the counter or via mail order. Now compare that to a common (pre-CCA) Jungle Girl theme that was available to any boy with 10 cents in his pocket. Ahh, to be a kid back in the good old days.

OK, obviously the 1940's Jungle Girls are a part of the African Pop theme of this thread.

I might also argue, however, they were a precursor to the Tiki-style Exotica girls posted on this site.

Is this a stretch? How about some Exotica album art featuring obvious Jungle Girls?

Actually as BigBro suggested, any African/Safari Pop album art would be a great addition.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-06 08:02 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 03:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-05 07:42, bigbrotiki wrote:

Please translate, Mr Naufrago.
And yes, enough Exotica girl stuff. How about some record covers IN THE GENRE at hand ?

“Besides being a great dancer with a long and impressive career, Yolanda Montez-Tongolele is a remarkable painter and ceramist. When the Lord endows someone with talent, he does it by the handful".
Amen.
Truly enjoyable art.

As for exotica-africana record covers, Bert Kaempefert´s Swinging Safari is one of my favourites. His music full appreciation maybe requires some ear training for non europeans.
An Euro easy listening masterpiece.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 5:48 pm   Permalink

Boris, Swerer's Safari with THAT sign, that building, that band, and that album is truly it!

Tracing back to WHEN and WHERE the pop cliches of a generic African/ Jungle land and its VISUAL icons developed, I would like to begin much earlier than King Kong, very much similar to my time line for what led up to Polynesian pop (in Tiki Modern):

Early Explorers' reports --Adventure authors create fiction--Illustrators (lacking photographs) illustrate that fiction freely:

(1895 illustration for a Jules Verne book)

Early Zoos/ Colonial/World Expos display living natives:

Silent movies beginning with Tarzan:

Serials and 50s exploitation movies run the whole bandwidth of tropical cliches:

"The Big Safari of Voodoo Terror" (!!?)

For my personal interests, and to stay connected to Tiki, I prefer the TROPICS theme:
The term includes Africa, South America, the Carribean, AND the South Seas --everywhere where there was jungle, and natives, and strange rituals.

This is how come that at THE TROPICS Motel in Palm Springs there were Tikis, a Sambo's, and, initially, the Congo Room:

(Above: the Blythe Tropics)

...and that's why SHE is there:

In Pre-Tiki poly pop and later, there were lots of "Tropics":

Many were generic South Seas, but some did have something of an African theme:

...the "Tropics" concept threw a wider net than Polynesia, but could mix with it freely.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-12-09 00:40 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation