FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 8:22 pm   Permalink

Never really looked into this genre before, must say that there is a lot of fun stuff out there on the net that is sort-of Tiki cross-over.

A program from Duke Ellington at the Cotton Club.

Brochure from Safari Motel in Florida.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 11:36 am   Permalink

How about the amusement parks with that Jungleland theme.

The famous Jungleland Queen and the Volcano on the Miracle Strip at Panama City Beach, Florida

And Melody May at Jungleland.

Jungle Land at Storytown in Lake George, New York.

Another Jungle Land at the Palisades Amusement Park in New Jersey.

It's a jungle out there.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 12:33 pm   Permalink

It's a jungle/african veldt in Irvine!

http://theimaginaryworld.com/lc.html

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-11 1:48 pm   Permalink

My wife and I toured Lion Country Safari on our honeymoon in 1982, shortly before it closed in 1984. I can't imagine a theme park like that now in the California age of idiots and rampant lawyers

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 1:56 pm   Permalink

I could not agree more!

I will say this, however: I watched an old home movie from the early 70's that my Dad made there, and you could see Lions, rhinos, elephants and other very dangerous animals just walking around lose. We knew to stay in our car, that's for sure!

I doubt today's generation has the same common sense. You can see how slow they walk across intersections, for example...as though they are made of armor!

But back to the subject at hand, Lion Country safari had two of my favorite african type rides..."african auto trek", which was a jeep ride (on a track) through a jungle, with fake animals jumping out at you, and the "zambezi river ride:, which was a jungle boat cruise.

A close observation of wild rivers in irvine will reveal some remnants of this awesome theme park!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 2:08 pm   Permalink

Not only did I visit LCS Irvine with my parents back in the day, I once toured LCS as part of a field trip - in grade school(!) - inside a f'ckin SCHOOL BUS!

I seem to think LCS Corporation was caught sedating some of the animals via tranqs or something due to mounting lawsuits - or am I just thinking/rehashing an urban legend?

It was a long time ago those damn 1970s

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 2:27 pm   Permalink

Did anyone here ever visit the Jungleland (1956-1968) in Thousand Oaks ?

I have vague childhood memories of riding on an elephant there.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-12-11 15:30 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 2:35 pm   Permalink

And how about the Jungle-themed rides? There was the Safari Ride at Pacific Ocean Park (1958-1967) in Santa Monica.

And Disneyland used to have a Jungle Cruise ride.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-12-11 3:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-11 14:35, JOHN-O wrote:
And Disneyland used to have a Jungle Cruise ride.

Used to?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-11 14:27, JOHN-O wrote:
Did anyone here ever visit the Jungleland (1956-1968) in Thousand Oaks ?

JOHN-O,

Here is a link to a great website with the full history of the Jungleland in Thousand Oaks. It turned into a skate punk place after it closed and now it is the City's Civic Arts Plaza! What a history.

http://www.junglelandskates.com/history.html

Here's a few photos from the website.

DC

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 4:01 pm   Permalink

Anyone remember the "Lost River" (one of many names) dark ride at the Long Beach Pike?

It had a jungle theme interior but best of all the ride featured a mechanical monkey band at its entrance.

Rode this many many times as a kid. If anyone has a nice color view of the facade, please post it! A very rare image if you have one

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-11 4:03 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple of postcards from Jungleland

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 4:21 pm   Permalink

Keeping on the amusement theme, it seems as though there were a few bowling alleys with African inspired lounges.

Here are a matchbook from the Delta Bowl with a quasi African/PNG mask for he Kona Kove Lounge.

and the Tropic Bowl with the Elbo Room Mask

Cool ashtray from the Safari Room at the Plaza Lanes in San Jose (on ebay).

Found this little bit of history on the place. Would be nice to see a picture.

"Catalana is best known in San Jose for bringing an eye-popping array of talent to the Safari Room (1962 - 1968), a bustling club he conceived, designed and managed that adjoined an East San Jose bowling alley, Plaza Lanes, owned by his good friend and business associate, Victor LoBue.

Located at the corner of Story and White Roads, the Safari Room welcomed a veritable Who's Who of pop music and jazz through its doors. Wayne Newton, Della Reese, Nancy Wilson, Jack Jones, The Righteous Brothers, Pearl Bailey, Sophie Tucker, Louie Prima, Duke Ellington, Mel Torme, The Supremes, Perez Prado, Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto, Roger Miller, Sarah Vaughan, Frankie Laine, Anita O'Day and Trini Lopez all played the Safari Room.

DC

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-12 4:50 pm   Permalink

How about the Jungle Island that used to be part of Knott's Berry Farm?

They even had Tikis there !!

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-13 06:59 am   Permalink

Not much in the way of jungle goodness in my collection but here are a couple. First is a great issue of For Men Only from 1956 (jungle orgy of murder and lust)

A great photo folder from Silver Springs from the mid 50's. One of my favorite finds.

Here it is out of the folder. They even had a burger stand in the jungle.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation