FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 1:26 pm   Permalink

It's cold enough to freeze the coconuts off a brass Tiki up here. For those of us who make anchor in Polynesian ports far north of the line where the heartiest palm trees sway it's that time of year again. Thank the Tiki gods for the basement home bar. Six long months of rum induced hibernation are ahead but a Tiki bar in the basement makes it a little easier. I'm not sure if this is purely a Mid-Western thing but it sure was a mid-century thing. Basement home bars and rumpus rooms took of in early 1950's suburbia. You want escapism? The basement Tiki lounge has it, warm, grotto like with low ceilings and nice and dark. No windows to see all that white stuff flying around outside this time of year. This time of year I have more guest over for cocktails it seems. Friends come in from the cold and head down the stairs, through the beaded curtain where dim mood lighting cold cocktails and exotica music are always on the menu. I think they want an escape from cabin fever and a drink mixed by a guy in an aloha shirt when it's ten degrees outside helps. My home bar may not have thatch on the walls yet and it still has a white drop ceiling (I know, I know) but it does have a twelve foot bar and shuffleboard built into the floor all original 1950's built. The basement home bar, the next best thing to a plane ticket to warmer climes in this part of the world this time of year. Thanks for letting me rant and to to all fellow TC members in the snow....hunker down.. bundle up and revel in glory that is the basement home bar.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 1:30 pm   Permalink

I'm in the same outrigger as Trav! Snow expected... but the warm glow of the lava lamp as it reflects off a Mai Tai helps!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 1:42 pm   Permalink

got some rain on Sat while I was hanging out in San Diego,
a pretty good downpour on the drive up Sat evening.
hit Oceanside and it cleared up.
pretty chilly out on sat night, when hanging out, after the show
at Don the Beachcomber.

but right now its 78* outside. and not a cloud in the sky.
I keep waiting for winter to really show up here.

yes we're spoiled here in So. Cal.
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 1:45 pm   Permalink

I've been slowly plotting my own basement tiki bar for quite a while. Unfortunately, money always gets in the way! But now, I've got carpet and paint taken care of, I just have to install some additional outlets, put in some shelves and build the bar!

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 3:34 pm   Permalink

Amen to that sediment.

I just looked out the window and couldn't see the house across the street because of blowing snow. Wish my bar was done.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 3:36 pm   Permalink

Reading this makes me want to go home to mine... dim the lights, mix a MaiTai and play the latest Quiet Village podcast .

[ This Message was edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-11-30 15:38 ]

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 5:25 pm   Permalink

We're on borrowed time, around here. It snowed like hell on October 15, but it's been 50's & 60's since I got back from Vegas. I had the '59 out, yesterday. The forecasters are threatening snow soon & the guys in my car club are coming over, Saturday night, to help design the bar. I really despise winter, but it'll be warm in the Mauna Kai Lounge!
PS: This thread needs pics!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-30 6:43 pm   Permalink

Oh, a basement... that house-sized bonus room just begging to be a tiki bar. Our watertable is about 4 feet below the surface, if I had a basement it would be filled with salty, brackish water. When I put my fiberglas septic tank in, I dug the hole with a backhoe and it promply filled with stagnant water. I put the tank in the hole and it floated! I had to take a hose and fill it with water to sink it so I could cover it up But I digress, this is a thread about basement tiki bars.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 6:51 pm   Permalink

yeah damn snow..damn snow..damn snnn....er....i feel for ya guys.

having to turn the heater on when it gets in the 50s is a real pain!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 7:55 pm   Permalink

Bite me, Liz!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 8:41 pm   Permalink

Where I live (along with Sweet Daddy Tiki and Tikiville) is probably the highest latitude of any TC member. I look forward to spending much of our 6-month winter (the first in our new home) down in the still un-named pirate's grotto, sipping hot buttered rum by the fireplace with my wife and baby (no rum for baby). I grew up with some classic rumpus room/home bars at my parents', grandparents', aunts and uncles', etc. and I'm proud to carry on the tradition! Here's to the basement tiki bar!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 8:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-30 18:51, leleliz wrote:
yeah damn snow..damn snow..damn snnn....er....i feel for ya guys.

having to turn the heater on when it gets in the 50s is a real pain!

Hey Liz,
You know, -40 degrees is where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet. That's also how cold it can get here in January. Try to wrap your head around that! At least it's a dry cold...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 01:00 am   Permalink

In the UK I can shelter in mine from the rain and cold. And that does me just fine.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 01:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-30 20:41, Brandomoai wrote:
Where I live (along with Sweet Daddy Tiki and Tikiville)

I do not live with Brandomoai and Tikiville.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 06:44 am   Permalink

We live in Virginia and years ago when I was in Chicago on business I had dinner with an old college friend who had previously lived in Maryland, New Mexico and Los Angeles. After we finished dinner and were standing on the sidewalk saying our goodbyes, she grabbed me by the lapels and in despair declared: "You don't know what it's like to live here; your winter is only six weeks long!" She later married a guy and they lived in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan! Later they moved to L.A., where I am sure she is much happier now.

The Beauteous and Talented Elinor and I were visiting Elinor's family over Thanksgiving in Oakland, where it was chilly and sunny most of the time. Here in Virginia it seems like we've had one day of rain for every day of sun this year. I told Elinor that at this rate we might as well be living in Seattle.

As for a cosy basement Tiki lounge to ride out the winter, check these photos of ours:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/

Also, (shameless plug alert) tomorrow while you are seeking shelter from the storm, be sure to listen to my radio show, Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge, which is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, and can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webcasting/webcast.htm

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation