FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 11:27 am   Permalink

So while driving to the train this morning it was snowing. Flurries that werent sticking but snow all the same.

And its the coldest December 7 in the history of recorded california weather all the way back to the mid 1800s.

Yeah..so right about now I am eating my words!!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 5:53 pm   Permalink

Currently 66 degrees and a decent sunset here in the Tampa Bay area.

Think I will bundle up and wear a long sleeve t-shirt and go walk the dogs.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 6:50 pm   Permalink

well I have to say that I asked for it.
last week nice and warm, this week cold windy and rainy.

I got a phone call bout an hour a go from Ran"Kick the Reverb"
giving me a report about Smugglers Cove and his weekend while in SF area.
If I stay in the house my cell phone drops calls.
So I went outside to talk to him, and decided to go for a walk around the block.
GODDAMN ITS COLD!!!!!!
It rained all day, and now the wind has blown the clouds away.
so its clear and cold and windy,
after an hour I told him I needed to go in.
looked at the thermometer out back and its 45*.

so I am going to make a Hot Buttered Rum, and go sit in the tiki bar with the heat on.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 7:50 pm   Permalink

Yeah, well, this morning when I woke up it was about -22F. Of course, that's balmy for Edmonton in December...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 8:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-07 18:50, bigtikidude wrote:
GODDAMN ITS COLD!!!!!!
It rained all day, and now the wind has blown the clouds away.
so its clear and cold and windy,
after an hour I told him I needed to go in.
looked at the thermometer out back and its 45*.

This is too funny! I nearly froze to death walking to my garage and back.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 9:45 pm   Permalink

2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of socks. 2 sweaters, a fleece hoodie. a wool scarf and hat and a pair of gloves... IN THE HOUSE!!! Too stinkin' cold. BUT the Bamboo Grove in the basement is toasty- warm I may have to camp out down there.

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2009-12-07 21:52 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 01:05 am   Permalink

Well here in Berlin the weather is....oh sorry, I thought this was the weather channel!?

But back to the subject at hand: While I am convinced that to help explain the concept of Tiki to a Tiki-ignorant person, handing them a copy of the BOT would be the fastest way, I often thought that having such an innocent enter a fully decked out Tiki home bar coming from a cold, grey, urban environment should do the trick also. I bet one of the most satisfying things for the basement oasis proprietor is seeing the surprise on their faces.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 01:30 am   Permalink

Right now it's in the high 70's with a light breeze so I can't complain. It looks like it may rain later. Details at 11.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 05:50 am   Permalink

Can we have or thread back, please?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 06:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-08 05:50, Big Kahuna wrote:
Can we have or thread back, please?

The snow is coming Rick....heavy horrible knee deep snow.......

ya better batten down for a looooooooooooong cold winter.

lol

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 07:44 am   Permalink

...and NOW we switch from the weather channel BACK to our report about basement Tiki havens and their unique qualities:.....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-08 01:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

I often thought that having such an innocent enter a fully decked out Tiki home bar coming from a cold, grey, urban environment should do the trick also. I bet one of the most satisfying things for the basement oasis proprietor is seeing the surprise on their faces.

Hit it square on the nail head Sven.The basement is the only area of my house that is Tiki. The rest is circa 1960 style. And yes the look on the faces of people who first come down to the bar is priceless. Many people I have told that I have a bar in the basement think sports bar or someplace for beer and Nascar. Not that there is anything wrong with these types of bars but I don't think they have any idea of what I am talking about until they visit for the first time. Most people get to the bottom of the stairs and through the beaded curtain and stop. It takes a couple of minutes for the eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. I usually make a suggestion for a cocktail as they start to notice all of the details in the bar. I do not have a clock or TV down in the bar just soothing exotica music and people have lost track of time and stayed for hours when the only meant to drop by for a short visit. I remember when I was kid my Aunt had a full size bowling lane and a bar in the basement, now that was cool. Another great thing about the basement bar is..well it's in the basement. More square footage of living space for the house. I am sure many undiscovered treasures are just below ground level on dusty shelves and behind old bars in basements all over just waiting to be found. My basement bar is called the Hukilau Lounge and this may sound dumb but I have made a few cocktail menus for the bar. At the bottom of the inside cover it says in small print " Come curious.. Leave fulfilled" I hope most people do.

Had to edit the quote from my own menu after looking at one in the basement.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-12-08 08:35 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 10:14 am   Permalink

Though I haven't actually hammered and bambood a small room bar for my escape yet I have had a look of total amazment on the faces of guests...yer right it's like they had NO idea what to expect and then it hits them and they're stunned.
My room (MOKU DOOM) does double duty as my bedroom so I am somewhat used to it's splender and at times I forget about the way most would see this (CraZy perhaps lol),living in a country with nary a rum shack to be found and in a city of a million people I admit I take my creation for granted,but I absolutly never fail to enjoy it .
Seeing others posts and the amount of work folks put into their santuary is refreshing,it's great to see that this hobby has alot of folks that "do" and not just take.

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 10:36 am   Permalink

I really like the Idea of a Basement tiki bar, or just a tiki bar with no windows, so you can't see that outside is not paradise.
I would be into having one if we had a basement.
Most homes in Ca. don't have basements, so its not really something we can do here. And the fact that my tiki bar/room opens up to a back yard with a pool and palm trees, is kinda nice too.

though there is no Jacuzzi, and no heater or solar panels for the pool.
so it just sits there from Oct. to April.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-08 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

...this may sound dumb but I have made a few cocktail menus for the bar. At the bottom of the inside cover it says in small print " Come curious.. Leave fulfilled" I hope most people do.

Not dumb at all Trav. After the intensive man-hours to create a awesome bar like that, you are entitled to amuse yourself however you want!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation