FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 06:32 am   Permalink

Well without turning this into a weather report again attendance is up in the home bar due to the weather as many of my fellow basement denizens can likely relate too. After finally being called back to work the bar is nearly fully stocked. I have had requests from folks who have never been over before for what they call "an enchanted evening" ...wow cabin fever can really get to ya. I'm happy to think some folks look to our home bar as an escape from the worries and stress of the day. I'm working on a new menu for the lounge with a few new selections that I think the novice cocktail drinker may enjoy. I like to keep the selection to between six and eight cocktails so I can have fresh ingredients on hand but I will always do a special request. Happy New Year from six feet under in Michigan.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 08:03 am   Permalink

I hear ya, Trav. I had the boys from my car club over Wednesday night for a coupla drinks & some general BS. This was our third attempt, as the first 2 got snowed out. My room is split between Tiki & Kustom Kulture. I'll try to take a few pics this weekend, during the next storm we're waiting for, & post them so you can see where I'm at. I keep the heat down there set on toasty, so no freakin' winter attire is necessary!
Yours Truly,
Frigid In Massachusetts!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 08:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-01 08:03, Big Kahuna wrote:
I keep the heat down there set on toasty, so no freakin' winter attire is necessary!

My bar is located in the same room as the hot-water heater and gas furnace, so tropical temps are always available, courtesy of waste heat.

Lots of lousy weather this December means the Hai'deaway's been getting a winter workout this holiday season as well. Hot rum drinks have been high in demand.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-19 4:42 pm   Permalink

A great thing about the basement is not only is it a warm tropical getaway in the winter it is also a cool retreat in the very hot summer. I raise a glass to all the basement dwellers out there from six feet under in the Hukilau Lounge.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 11:21 am   Permalink

Amen to that!!!!
Been loving the Basement the last few days....

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 11:11 am   Permalink

Well it's a year and a day since I started this post. We have our first snow today and I'm laid off again. No better time to get the bar in order for some heavy winter escapism. Give a good dusting to the place. Make sure the mood lighting is just right. Hell I may even reorganize the booze behind the bar. Rotate the exotica selection you say?.....done. Shine all the glassware and lastly a new menu for the bar. This time of year the the busy season for my home lounge and I glad folks enjoy the basement escape.

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 7:34 pm   Permalink

I'll be setting up the aluminun tree in my lounge tomorrow, Trav.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 9:18 pm   Permalink

Man, I'm gonna admit, I'm kind of jealous of all the basement bars. My idea of a classic rumpus room or home bar is always set in a basement, with cold, dark, dreary winter weather just outside the confines of the sanctuary. It just seems like the juxtaposition makes it that much better. It's like getting under your blankets after the cold walk from the bathroom (or kitchen, or garage...I really don't care where you get ready for bed.) That's kind of how I imagine it at least.

But I don't have a basement, so I guess this is all just my wishful assumption.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 10:47 pm   Permalink

I miss basement bars, especially this time of year. In my general area the basements are mostly dirt and cinder block based. I plan on sitting in my one nearly finished tiki lounge chair and look at home listings while sipping a drink or three.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 07:05 am   Permalink

One day I may have a basement bar... I do have a basement. A good portion of my basement is my music room and it is quite tiki-fied. I have four resin-chunk lamps, and a few glass floats, tiki mugs on a retro wall shelf, a couple of tiki lava lamps, and then guitars, ukuleles, congas, bongos, drum kit, organ, marimba, and all the electronics, etc. It's got a pretty cool feel, but hard to get a good picture if it.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creature from the Slack Lagoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-04 12:41 pm   Permalink

I can honestly say that having my home bar makes winters in Wisconsin a lot more tolerable. When it's freezing cold and the snow is piled up deep, I can retreat to my own little slice of paradise.

I know that a lot of people suffer from seasonal affective disorder and tend to get depressed during the winter months. I have one comment for them: build a tiki bar. It works wonders. Forget things like light-boxes, the deviced used so people are exposed to more daylight and vitamin D in the winter. A tiki bar is worth a dozen light-boxes when it comes to raising one's spirits -- sorry for the pun. A tiki bar may not provide vitamin D, but it certainly provides relaxation and vitamin C.

View Profile of Creature from the Slack Lagoon Send a personal message to Creature from the Slack Lagoon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pikeys Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 5:11 pm   Permalink

It's always easier on the face and limbs falling upstairs when under the influence of strong libations, than falling downstairs.

Surely, the best reason possible for having a basement bar?

View Profile of Pikeys Dog Send a personal message to Pikeys Dog  Goto the website of Pikeys Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Potato.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-06 07:35 am   Permalink

I was watching the season finale of The Walking Dead last night and (no spoilers) they were in a basement bunker of sorts and, in the corner... a tiki bar. It's good to know that, even in the event of world collapse and zombie takeover, people still have their priorities straight.

View Profile of Potato. Send a personal message to Potato.  Goto the website of Potato.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 08:36 am   Permalink

Uncle Trav,

Basements are hard to come by out here in California, I am jealous.

I found this old photo of a couple dancing at an indoor luau staged in the Basement Bar and thought of this thread.

Looks like some of the items were purchased from the United Airlines Luau Party Planner catalog.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 11:33 am   Permalink

Bottom right corner has a fake pig with an apple in its mouth wearing what looks like a couple garters. That completes the luau vibe in my books. (gotta lose the black socks though brah) Cool pic that captures the never ending quest to bring paradise into your own personal asylum.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation