FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Honolulu, HI, (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Honolulu, HI, (restaurant)
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 09:20 am   Permalink

amazing:
Quote:

On 2009-12-14 12:13, Dustycajun wrote:

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 10:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-24 20:50, bongofury wrote:
According to Martin Denny who played "Marty" the piano player in a bar in the Phillipines, all his shots were done inside Trader Vics Honolulu. There is about 5-7 minutes shot in the bar. I will need to dig out the movie to see if i can do some screen grabs. I remember seeing some fogcutter mugs on a shelf behind the bar

Ron,

I missed this post the first time around, that is an awesome movie poster with the Martin Denny signature. When did you hook up with Martin Denny?

Thanks for posting that and look forward to seeing those screen grabs from the movie.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 08:38 am   Permalink

Here is an old photo of the Ward Dr. Trader Vics from ebay.

You can make out a piece of the outrigger sign in the corner.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-17 10:30 pm   Permalink

Some more images:

VERY slight variation on the one TabooDan already posted. Same address, different phone number!

Also, I have this one photo from the 80s showing the outside of TVics at the Intl Marketplace. Doesn't show much other than the sign (and the "parrot walk" nearby).

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-17 5:00 pm   Permalink

Aquarj,

Those are some great pictures of the Hawaii Trader Vic's. That add with the couple drinking out of the custom scorpion bowl is great. I really like those hanging coconut room dividers. Can you zoom in on the bowl, I can't figure out which one it is.

Here is another matchbook from the Ward Drive location featuring the anchor logo.

DC

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-18 9:17 pm   Permalink

Sure DC, here's a closeup, in all its raw unmolested glory. OK, a teeny bit of molestation - I tried to sharpen the bowl a little.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-19 8:39 pm   Permalink

Great pics .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 04:50 am   Permalink

I really like the typefaces Trader Vic's Honululu used, quite different than the U.S. chain's.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-20 12:26 pm   Permalink

Yes, I like their lettering styles too, both the principal style and even the simple one on this little ad.

I like it because it kinda reminds me of the old cuban Bacardi lettering.

-Randy

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-22 4:55 pm   Permalink

Randy,

Thanks for that blow up. I put that bowl on the Crypto mug thread as I have never seen one before.

Here is another ad from the Ward Drive Trader Vic's.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-20 04:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
I really like the typefaces Trader Vic's Honolulu used, quite different than the U.S. chain's.

Another Trader Vic's matchbook style from Ward Drive with some cool lettering fonts.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 8:39 pm   Permalink

Here is another version of the trading license from the Ward Drive Trader Vic's with a nice rendering of the building.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-07 4:03 pm   Permalink

I found some photos of the Trader Vic's on Ward Drive in a Spenceclif Restaurant Guide that I picked up. This was right before Trader Vic's moved to the International Market Place. When TV moved to the IMP the Ward Drive restaurant became The Old Plantation for a period.

Here is the ad showing the bar and the outdoor patio dinning area.

Close up of the nice Tiki rendering.

The patio area.

The bar.

Here you can see the various custom mugs that were used only at the Trader Vic's in Hawaii.

More mugs and a Tiki behind the bar.

Here is a menu showing the different mug types from the Hawaii Trader Vic's.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 11:38 am   Permalink

Great zoom-in work, DC! That skull mug, wow! Those Tiki renderings were swiped from the Tahitian Lanai/Waikikian, art work by Stanley Stubenberg, I believe.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 2:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 11:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
Those Tiki renderings were swiped from the Tahitian Lanai/Waikikian, art work by Stanley Stubenberg, I believe.

Bigbro,

Once again, nice memory bank on spotting the borrowed Tiki figures. Since they were both Spenceclif restaurants, I guess the owners felt it was OK to use a little art from one to the other.

Here is a comparison:

Tahitian Lanai

Trader Vic's

They gave the big Tiki on the left a little hair cut!

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation