FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Before they were Hippies, they looked like....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Before they were Hippies, they looked like....
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-20 11:14, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Dear Lucas-
I was just wondering if there is a difference between hippies and long hairs? Also, which is cooler in your eyes A) Stoners or B) Hippies ?

Later,
Spermy

I think we would have to agree on a definition for "long Hair"...because that could cover everyone from General Custer

to the lead singer of the band Poison!

But to answer your first question, in my opinion there is a difference between Hippies and long hairs. I honestly believe one can be a hippy and have short or shortish hair. Now, there will be some identifying attributes to a hippy, though.

1. "Hackey Sack". Hippies use them, like them (and have larger versions which they call bean-bags).

2. "Djembe". I know, I keep bringing them up..but a hippy will always have at least one Djembe around the house. (Rarely other types of percussion, though. And even if they do, they won't play them with any sort of rythem). Sometimes you can even see the hippies banging away on their Djembes "en masse", )like down at the huntington pier). But keep in mind, to be a proper Djembe-hippy, you must also have a beautific smile on your face while flailing away at the drum, with eyes cast up to the heavens.

3. "Bob marley" Rasta T-Shirt. Without it, you cannot possibly call yourself a hippy in good standing.

4. "trust fund". You cannot have done any real work in your life.

5. "Hippy smirk". This is what most of the members of the band "phish" have on their faces at all times. And yes, you guessed it: it's because they have "trust funds".

To answer the second part of your question, stoners are clearly cooler. You see, stoners might also be skaters,

and that's always considered cool.

But, growing tofu on a collective in the hills above Berkley, california is not as cool as being a skater. (Even if your Hippy girlfriend is kind of hot, resembling Jessica Biel in a "Good Lord, you are cute but I wish you would take a bath" kind of way....)

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-12-20 21:48 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 5:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-20 13:46, Hakalugi wrote:
Here is a wrench in the machine:

Eden Ahbez has sometimes been referred to as the first hippie.

He looks even more like Big tiki dude then big tiki dude does! Eden Ahbez is a very tough question. The man is clearly a hippy, but he writes EXOTICA!!! That is so crazy and insane it totally works! "Nature Boy" is a classic. My favorite version is that of Avante Garde trumpeter, Jon Hassell...off the album "fascinoma"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9pm7rxm1gA

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-12-20 20:27 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 5:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-20 14:29, bigtikidude wrote:

plus I wouldn't say that Stevie was a Hippie.
maybe in a very Vague way she could come off that way.
but She was into coke, not weed right?

Jeff(btd)

Stevie Nicks...Hippy in the sense that you could totally see her dancing by herself in some mystic forest clearing, grooving with a pict....

But then again, she sings with Tom Petty on "leather and lace", which is NOT a hippy song.

(Hippies can evolve, and are subject to genetic mutations, like anyone else.)

For example, by the 3-4th generation, the offspring of hippies could become, say, Garth Brooks fans. (But this would depend on the amount of solar radiation and if there were a lot of sun spots/solar storms in a given year.)

Clearly, if the same chick who talked about "Morning maniac music" at woodstock could sing "we built this city", then anything is possible! (Grace Slick, not Stevie Nicks)

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-12-20 21:53 ]

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 1:21 pm   Permalink

This English teenage Hawkwind fan...

became this....

oops, this one is backwards

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 1:54 pm   Permalink

Hippy work consists of candle-making, sprout-growing and tye-dying. Stoner work consists of glass-blowing (usually pipes and bongs), metal-work (like welding garbage cans into animals) and baking (usually brownies and cookies)!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 1:56 pm   Permalink

OMG!

That's pretty damning evidence that JR would probably like to see dissapear!

I actually thought about this slant, of hippy to short-hair, but it's too obvious. As people get older, they start losing hair (yeah, I'm an expert on that subject) so it's not too hard to find hippies who cleaned up later due to male pattern balding....!! (I guess an obvious example would be Neil Peart, drummer for RUSH....)

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-23 13:54, beadtiki wrote:
Hippy work consists of candle-making, sprout-growing and tye-dying. Stoner work consists of glass-blowing (usually pipes and bongs), metal-work (like welding garbage cans into animals) and baking (usually brownies and cookies)!

Yep! That's about the way I see it, too.

I am glad some of you are getting the humorous aspect to this thread! (After all, who doesn't look at a picture of several hippies playing hacky-sack and start laughing!...well, maybe the hippies themselves...they tend to be a rather humor-less lot!)

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 2:04 pm   Permalink

I'm not going to pull a Brett Favre and talk "too much" on this topic
(learned my lesson from the Mickey Hart thread) but I strongly disagree
that hippies are humorless. I used to spend a lot of time with hippies...
the 60s and 70s version...and they laughed all the time.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-02 12:36 pm   Permalink

Hippadelic bumpus!

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-02 1:15 pm   Permalink

Groovy!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-02 3:26 pm   Permalink

Hey, I just turned 60 last Monday, so I knew my share of Hippies. My friends and I were long-hairs. ala Buffalo Springfield etc. Long hair, fringed jackets, jeans and either converse tennis shoes or cowboy boots, take your pick. Growing up in Tucson, cowboy boots were in. As far as Hippies being without humor, not so. We all laughed our way through the 60s. And being close to the border with good, cheap pot, the laughing came pretty easy.

[ This Message was edited by: drgoat456 2010-08-02 15:26 ]

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 8:22 pm   Permalink

Hippies kind of sucked because they extincted beatniks.

Most beatniks were real. Most hippies were suburban kids dressed stupid and trying desperately to be cool.

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 08:47 am   Permalink

Exactly!

King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 11:23 am   Permalink

Well since this thread has been resurrected...
Here's the band
Attila.

The keyboardist went solo and became...

oops, went backwards on this one also.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-18 09:48 am   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation