FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Exotica 2003 in Chicago: Who's coming?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Exotica 2003 in Chicago: Who's coming?
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-07-18 03:20 am   Permalink

Coming up for air after a protracted bout of Hukilau fever, but Mike and I are in! So that's two more from the MD crowd.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-21 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-16 15:56, thejab wrote:
Me and Robin are staying near the loop in the Swissotel. We got a huge room with a view for $119/night on the Swissotel website. There are plenty of good rates still on Expedia and other websites for around $100 in and near the loop. I found the room rates were much higher on Thursday and Sunday at some hotels - I presume because of the business clientele.

Since we're flying into Midway there is really no advantage in staying at the Marriot for us, except for the Friday Kona Kai event, and after that we are heading over to the Rock-a-tiki anyway. Also, I like to be in the heart of town close to all the museums, bars, and restaurants. And most of the "L" lines start at the loop so it's easy to get to most neighborhoods from there.

I guess if one is driving while there it might be a real advantage staying near O'Hare as most of those hotels offer free parking while downtown hotels charge a fee ($20-30/day).

Dean

Most of the poits you make are valid and accurate, but there is another side to this too.

The Swissotel is near the end of Wacker street, by the lake, and will indeed give you great view. I was just there this weekend for a sound production job in one of the ball rooms. It's a nice place (but I am surprised you, of all people, didn't pick a more vintage hotel!).

However, it is a good 1/2 mile walk to the nearest L stop, and said L lines are the orange, brown, and purple lines, which will get you to and from Midway, but not ANY of the Exotica events (well, they come *reasonably* close to Delilahs and Kitsch'n). The Blue Line, conversely, will get you within walking distance or a $3 cab hop to at least three Exotica events, and it is right near the O'Hare Mariott (and the Kona Kai is within this hotel!). But, it is like 1.5 miles from Swissotel - too far to walk.

Even Rock A Tiki is a $6-$8 cab ride from Swissotel, but is near the Blue Line, ...and not the Brown/Orange/Purple lines.

However, it is true that if you want to check out the museums and stuff, you'll want to be in the Loop, but if you get a hotel in the Loop, you are going to end up spending a fortune on cabs, or for those of you bringing cars, another fortune on parking (yes, $30 or $40 pr night is accurate - and musch cheaper or free at Mariott). You WILL NOT get street parking in the Loop overnight or during either rush hour. You will be towed instantly.

If you want my 2 cents, I recommend keeping your reservation at the Swissotel during the non-E03 part of your stay, for access to museums and the varied interesting architecture and history of the Loop area, but moving to the admittedly boring Mariott for the E03 weekend.

In fact, a recent flurry of Email among the E03 planning crew, we more or less decided to make the O'Hare Mariott the 'official' E03 hotel.

So get signed up!

JT

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-21 12:10 pm   Permalink

For those of you driving, this might help:

Getting around Chicago by car.

Chicago is a perfect grid, with a major intersection every four blocks, and three residential streets between them.
There are exactly eight blocks to a mile.

Madison Street is the border between the north and south sides; State St. is the border between the east and west sides. The central business district is called The Loop, the corner of State and Madison is at approximately the center of the Loop. This is ground zero from which all Chicago addresses branch out.

Therefore, Madison (which moves east-west) is said to be located at 'zero north', and the street numbers for each block heading north from there increase by 100 (this is a rule of thumb inside the Loop, and is a strict rule once you are outside of the Loop). So, for the streets moving east-west, on the north side of town, Chicago Ave. (for example) is located at 800 N., and is exactly 8 blocks, or 1 mile, from Madison. Similarly, Division St. is at 1200 N., or 12 blocks from Madison.

Belmont is at 3200 N., or 32 blocks (and exactly 4 miles) from Madison. Therefore, if you are travelling on ANY north-south bound street, and you see an adress of 3100 to 3199, you know Belmont is the next street you will cross, heading north, or you have just passed it, heading south.

Looking at east-west streets on the south side, the numbers increase similarly, but get larger as you head south, rather than as you head north. So it is a mirror-image. The streets moving east-west are numbered rather than named, for the most part, after you pass Cermak (1200 S.). So 26th St., is 2600 south, or a little over 3 miles south of Madison.

For streets that travel north-south, the grid and numbering system are identical to the east-west system. Due to the curve of Lake Michigan, however, there is no east side of Chicago once you get north of the Loop. So ALL Chicago addresses on east-west bound streets above 800 N or so are considered to be on the west side of the city.

So if you're looking for Kitsch'n on Roscoe, and someone tells you that Roscoe St. is at 3400 N., then you know that Roscoe St. is 2 blocks north of Belmont (3200 N).

Or, if you are looking for Polynesian Village in the 6800 block of Addison (which is 3600 N), and Paradise Club at 7068 Belmont, you know that Polynesian Village is four blocks north and two blocks east of Paradise Club. Easy!

Even numbered addresses are always on the north and west sides of the street, odd numbers are on the east and south sides of any given street.

Many of the city streets continue on into the suburbs with the same street names; in some cases the numbering sysem continues as well.

The exceptions to all of this are a handful of diagonal streets which will either be shortcuts or will get you lost, depending on your sense of direction and familiarity with the city. These streets are:
Milwaukee, Clark, Lincoln, Clyborn, Elston, and Broadway.

Also, moving north-south in the city, north of the Loop, the fastest streets are Western (2400W) and Ashland (1600 W), and Lake Shore Drive (just head east on any major road to the lake, and you’ll be there; it’s northern end is at Hollywood St., 5700N, and it moves south most of the way to Indiana).

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-21 12:38 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-07-21 11:53, tikibars wrote:
Quote:
The Swissotel is near the end of Wacker street, by the lake, and will indeed give you great view. I was just there this weekend for a sound production job in one of the ball rooms. It's a nice place (but I am surprised you, of all people, didn't pick a more vintage hotel!).

Thanks JT for the tips. I should have asked you before I booked it, but it's not too late to change my reservation.

I love historic hotels for the most part but I usually don't like the decor in the rooms. It's usually that nostalgic victorian-era schmaltz with lots of flower fabric and lace. Yecch! I always feel like I'm staying at my Grandma's house. Since nobody has done a modern decor look to my liking (except in a few Palm Springs hotels) I prefer the simple contemporary look in a hotel room. There are those newer boutique hotels like the Allegro and the Monaco but their whimsical decor gets old fast.

Sorry to disappoint you! I always look for a time travel experience (in bars, restaurants, and hotels). I just didn't know of any hotels that offered that in Chicago (unless one wanted to go back to the turn of the century).

While we're talking about time travel, can you recommend a steakhouse in Chicago that has a swanky 40s or 50s decor?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-21 1:23 pm   Permalink

Three years ago, I would have said hands down "Biasetti's" for the best all around steak house experience in Chicago. Mediocre food, strong drinks, and a delightful crowd of degenerates filling the air with a thick cloud of cigarette smoke and profanity in a room that hadn't been redecorated since Nixon. Ah, but some fancy pants went and turned it into yet another lame brass and fern joint for the shiny people. So now, highly popular Gene and Georgetti's would be the place to start for a classic beef meal if you gots a big appetite and a bigger wallet. Less fancy by far, more of a bar really, might be Twin Anchors, but they tend to be more known for ribs. Sabatino's out on Irving Park might do you right, though haven't been there myself. The old Kona Kai used to make one hell of a steak -- you'd have been doubly set, there. Anyway, for more info, check out the cultural mouthpiece of the Chicago Tribune at http://www.metromix.com to search for those restaurants and more...

View Profile of kongtiki Send a personal message to kongtiki  Goto the website of kongtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-07-21 2:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks Kongtiki. I was considering Gene and Georgetti's based on Jane and Michael Stern's recommendation. I'd rather go to a tried and true joint like that than some new trendy place (like Nine).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
La Tiki Nostra
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-21 2:33 pm   Permalink

Quote: "Sabatino's out on Irving Park might do you right, though haven't been there myself".

I can vouch for Sabatino's...great steaks and some killer baked clams as an appetizer, also if you have room try the baked alaska for dessert... man I'm gettin' hungry

View Profile of La Tiki Nostra Send a personal message to La Tiki Nostra      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
La Tiki Nostra
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-21 2:35 pm   Permalink

By the way I'm pretty sure Sabatino's has been around since the mid 60's and it has a piano bar!

[ This Message was edited by: La Tiki Nostra on 2003-07-21 14:36 ]

View Profile of La Tiki Nostra Send a personal message to La Tiki Nostra      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vntgkitten

Posted: 2003-07-22 07:02 am   Permalink

Are there any pictures out there of last years event?

View Profile of vntgkitten Send a personal message to vntgkitten  Email vntgkitten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-22 08:34 am   Permalink

Next year there will be, I'm sure...

This year is our inaugural year for Chicago's Exotica party in this form. There was an "Exotica 2000," and the timewarping photos of that event can be seen here:
http://www.rightonfuton.com/tikiparty.html . That event shares almost nothing in common with this event. Except for the name. And two-thirds of the planners. And the rich tiki goodness...

View Profile of kongtiki Send a personal message to kongtiki  Goto the website of kongtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 10:21 am   Permalink

.... and this one I am NOT gonna miss! Being forced into exile thru monitary neccessities, now I can AFFORD to travel to Chicago, and make up (a little) for missing the other two Tiki Fetes this year.
I think I will also rescreen my Witco lecture at the Hala Kahiki. It will be similar to the one I did before, but I am sure there are a lot of new folks who have not seen it, and the closeness to the original artifacts will give it new meaning.
(I know I know, the BOOK would really give it some extra meaning, but...sigh)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 11:46 am   Permalink

That's great BigBro, I know I for one will want to catch the Witco lecture.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:20 pm   Permalink

I'm looking forward to seeing you and your slideshow Bigbro! This event is sounding better and better every day. I'm counting the days.

What about the rest of the hoity-toities? Surely you aren't still hungover from the Hukilau.

Let's go Bay Area peeps! How can you miss seeing the Kona Kai?

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:50 pm   Permalink

Wish I wasn't quite so broke, or I'd be there will bells on. And I've seen the Kona Kai, and those of you going there will be VERY glad you did!

Have fun!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-22 1:01 pm   Permalink

Say...while we're talking about the Kona Kai, I'm sure the Carters would want to remind everyone that because of how strange the Marriott people were to deal with regarding the venue, there will be no ticket sales for the Kona Kai the night of the event. Tickets must be requested at http://www.konakai.com/exotica/event_konakai.html by August 1st, and payment received by August 15th to make the cut.

So plan ahead and have ticket in hand because they're right...it's quite nice.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation