FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Collecting Tiki ╗ ╗ Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-02-02 6:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-18 21:47, Zeta wrote:
Hey Buzzy! Do you accept pesos?
No, seriously, who made this Tiki?

Zeta- That's a Tree-Fern tiki so probably carved in Hawaii. The style definitely looks similar to other fern-wood tikis I've seen from Hawaii.

Bosko is more of an expert on Tree-Fern tikis. I think he can tell the different carvers by the style.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 7:07 pm   Permalink

And most of them have long rotted away, because of the fibrous wood just falling apart.

By the way, Sabu...do you know who your signature gal is?

I am sure you do, but in case not...

...here are a few more snapshots:

http://www.nudismlife.com/index.php?/category/104

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 8:50 pm   Permalink

After seeing the post with the tree fern tiki, I was reminded of this tiki that's around the corner from my house. I lifted this shot from a thread I did a few months back. Any ideas?

Buzzy, you should go to Del Taco. That 3 dollars could get you 9 tacos on a Tuesday, or 1.5 lbs of bean and cheese burritos any day of the week! You don't have to pay me for my unsolicited answer.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 9:04 pm   Permalink

That's a shame, where's pali-uli?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-04 04:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-02 17:34, MadDogMike wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-02 11:31, Matt Reese wrote:
I'd like a dollar.

Matt, I sent you a buck but PayPal returned it because you never collected it. What's wrong with my buck?

Sorry, I don't have a paypal account. I got a notice in my e-mail and had no idea why someone was sending me a dollar. Thanks for that. I've been cracking up since revisiting this thread. I'd completely forgotten my sarcastic comment made earlier. You rule.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-05 10:53 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Sabu!

What about this one?

It is almost a meter tall. Very heavy. At least 40 years old. It has green velvet under it so it doesn't scratch any surface. I am really interested. Please help.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-05 22:53, Zeta wrote:
What about this one?

It is almost a meter tall. Very heavy. It has green velvet under it so it doesn't scratch any surface.

I'll just throw out some thoughts that I have on this one.

First, I try to catagorize it. Hawaiin, Maori, Marq, Cook, easter Island. etc. I find it to be Hawaiian in style based on its features.

Next I try to determine its place of origin...

Can't tell the woodtype, so it's hard to say wheter or not it orginated in Hawaii.

Then I look at the quality of the carving. Not too good. More of a log drawing than a full 3d round carving. Real shallow and the body is done wrong. He might even have been using a photo for a source. The headress has a few problems as well. The intention of the carver was to make a traditional styled Hawaiian tiki, most likely what we would refer to as a Lono, but he didn't really understand how to execute it correctly.

Since I figure this carver wasn't that good skills wise, he probably didn't just carve it up out of his head. I next look to see what his original source of inspiration was. First I try to figure if was from an original Hawaiian carving, or some sort of newer polypop source. For this tiki I can pretty much guarantee that it wasn't from one of the surviving original Hawaiian carvings. There's only a couple hundred or so out there, and none that I've seen or found yet match this particular carving.

So that sends my brain through the image archives I hold in my head on polypop and souvineer Hawaiian carvings. As best as I can tell, the original source was this piece:

I kind of had to photo it off center so that the details one the side of the headress could be seen. Basically, when you compare this original Coco Joes to yours, yours has a less skillfully executed version of every feature and detail that is on the original. There are far too many for it to be a coincedence, and there are also no deviations, other than quality and execution, between the master source and the copy. I can say without a doubt it was based on that cocojoes. So lets see if that can be contradicted by any other informtion you provided on it

We'll have to take into consideration your dating it at 40 years, and if Cocojoes was making that piece then. That puts it late 60's or early 70's. I don;t know for sure when that CCJ's was first produced, but CCJ's was definitely around then. So that fits our timeline.
But: How do you know for sure its date of at least 40 years? That part is always sketchy unless you actually have had that tiki for 40 years. Rip the velvet off and see if it was signed or dated underneath. The velevet was probably placed there after it was purchased by the buyer. It could be hiding a secret pirate treasure map as well.

Hope that helps.

Quote:

On 2010-02-03 20:50, kahalakruzer wrote:
Buzzy, you should go to Del Taco. That 3 dollars could get you 9 tacos on a Tuesday, or 1.5 lbs of bean and cheese burritos any day of the week! You don't have to pay me for my unsolicited answer.

I'm all about Taco Tuesdays. I even go walk in so I can stock up on ketchup, napkins, and hot sauce. I actually call it "grocery" shopping. If they didn't have the bathrooms outside the restaurant, I'd paobably get my toilet paper there too. We even have Taco Thursday at the one by my house now. The usual 3 tacos for $1.09 with the bonus special three chicken soft tacos for $1.19. If you type in taco tuesday on search, half the posts are mine...

Quote:

On 2010-02-03 21:04, Jungle Trader wrote:
That's a shame, where's pali-uli?

Hopefully out there somewhere trying to find something that's actually "tiki".

Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-02-07 12:54 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-23 07:38 am   Permalink

What about this one?

I really like it...

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 2:57 pm   Permalink

Wow, me too! Besides that groovy groove look it sports, its face and mouth are very reminiscent of the Ren Clark logo Tiki to me..and it has an "R" on it !

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pali-uli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-10 10:53 pm   Permalink

I am glad you guys/gals miss me. I will be sure to post some of my new tiki finds for Buzzy. Hope all are doing well!

View Profile of pali-uli Send a personal message to pali-uli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pali-uli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-10 11:13 pm   Permalink

Unlike many other Coco Joe's or Hip Original, this little resin guy has no markings on the bottom to attach him to any given group.

These little guys unlike my other recent finds are not made of resin. They don't have any marking either. They feel like the volcanic red rock you put on your flower beds. They are very heavy and have long ears similar to the moai on easter island although their faces look nothing of the sort. They were a top not which is also reminiscent although different. These guys baffle me.

This mask/Statue is quite large about two feet tall. It is not strikingly tiki, but very much in the exotica genre. When the price is less than five dollars, you buy now, ask questions later. No markings on this one. It feels like a polynesian hardwood, much like the monkey pod cups but with a longer wood grain.

View Profile of pali-uli Send a personal message to pali-uli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 12:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-10 23:13, pali-uli wrote:

this little resin guy...
These guys...
This mask/Statue...

When the price is less than five dollars, you buy now, ask questions later.

And you get mad when I ask for a measly buck for my expertise... It's easy to ask all the questions when somneone else is picking up the tab. I noticed you never followed through with your offer to give Hanford some money to help maintain the site either.

Three days and there are no answers to your questions. Am I the only one who can help you? I hope not, because you know that I charge for my services and you refuse to pay...

"this little resin guy...": I can tell you the maker, catalog number and description, and show you a picture of two variations of the same tiki by that maker

"These guys... " I can tell you exactly what those are, where they came from, and provide two pictures of the original source for those carvings

"This mask/Statue...": I can provide you with information on this one as well

I'd help you out with your questions again(At least one of them is tiki this time!), but you or someone else is going to pick up your tab first. Did you even thank Maddog and Vampiress for paying your fees the last time? Ungrateful deadbeat!

I'll say it again: If you don't know what it is, then don't buy it!

and That advice is worth way more than $5!
Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-04-13 00:30 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cloudmonkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-13 12:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-10 23:13, pali-uli wrote:

These little guys unlike my other recent finds are not made of resin. They don't have any marking either. They feel like the volcanic red rock you put on your flower beds. They are very heavy and have long ears similar to the moai on easter island although their faces look nothing of the sort. They were a top not which is also reminiscent although different. These guys baffle me.

I think these are Korean.

View Profile of cloudmonkey Send a personal message to cloudmonkey  Goto the website of cloudmonkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pali-uli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-15 10:01 pm   Permalink

I am enclosing this within parentheses because this is not meant for any of the wonderful people of Tiki Central. I am sorry to stoop as low as I did and try to call someone out because they were rude and inconsiderate. I am slightly embarrassed that my idea for a great forum was dirtied by rude wisecracks and put downs. I tried to have the forum removed so that it could start over new, but alas, those up high said it is forever. So to those wonderful TC users, I ask that you overlook the B.S. that this forum topic turned into, and continue to post your mystery tiki questions on it anyway. Thanks, Pali-Uli

(Buzzy you crack me up. I think you would find that, rather than dragging this to the bitter end, it would be more beneficial just to remain cordial. I have been treated wonderfully on TC by everyone but you. You may find in all your travels, that people may be more willing to take your advice when you give them the respect they deserve, especially newcomers. I wish you the best.)

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-12 6:21 pm   Permalink

Paul-uli! I like this thread! And you are right, Buzzy has a funny kind of humor, but it's the price to pay for some good answers sometimes and his nice pictures of his tiki carving process... Just don't take him (or anyone) too seriously.
Anyway, who carved that tiki I posted above?!?! the quality of the carving is too good to be amateur... the signature, the kind of tiki... who ever did this is a professional tiki carver. But who?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation