FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Dragonfruit?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Dragonfruit?
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-26 3:47 pm   Permalink

I have about a dozen ornamental dragonfruit plants that need a home.I grow them among my tropical plants in my tiki garden.
They’re free for the asking (no shipping-would cost more than they’re worth. I will deliver them to the next Itmp at Don’s so pm me if you want one.
Imho, they look pretty cool once established. The one in the pix was planted last May or so. Gets a bit more water than necessary because it’s among tropicals so I don’t water it directly anymore.
Cheers
Check out the air roots that grab onto the wood fence. This plant will latch onto whatever is handy.

Dragonfruit (Pitaya) Can get very dense at the base so I try to keep it under control by thinning it often. Don’t thin if you want fruit on the other varieties. I also cut back any tips trying to worm their way between the fence boards or behind the stone “mask” I got from Ed Tikibroker.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

That's some nice looking plants David.

I saw dragonfruits at Vons today for $9.99/lb. They were big ones as you see them next to the bananas, over a pound each. Which means those dragonfruit cost more than 10 bucks each! Nice cash crop

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 10:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 13:36, MadDogMike wrote:
That's some nice looking plants David.

I saw dragonfruits at Vons today for $9.99/lb. They were big ones as you see them next to the bananas, over a pound each. Which means those dragonfruit cost more than 10 bucks each! Nice cash crop

Hey Mike, it appears that I planted the wrong variety.
!0 bucks a pound would buy plenny mugs!Cheers,
David
Btw TC’ers I still have 3 to give away. Don’s marketplace is nxt weekend. PM me if interested.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-20 22:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-20 22:46 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation