FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Central Ohana Rest In Peace,Tiki-Kate
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Rest In Peace,Tiki-Kate
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-23 13:28, Cammo wrote:
(Please copy mine and add/change anything you'd like to this)
Kate had a job as an order fulfillment manager at a surgical supply warehouse. (Correct me if Im wrong, please!) This always struck me as a classic 1950s job, working in a bare-bones building under fluorescent lights, typing all day. Youd expect Rock Hudson to walk in and start complaining about year end quotas, with big zig-zag charts.

Kate moved jobs and had most recently been working at Kohl's in their distribution center. I think she had been there between 2-3 years. She loved her job and her co-workers a lot.
Kohl's medical coverage for Kate was incredible. The month long hospital stay she had in December/January cost Kate a few hundred dollars out of pocket. Most of her visits and so many of the drugs she was on were mostly covered by insurance. Even though she had missed working for most of 2010, they were super supportive of getting her on disability, and making sure her insurance coverage didn't lapse. Her sister even had a call on Monday with someone from the company letting her know that Kate would still be getting a paycheck while on hospice. She had an on-site nurse at her work that she could visit for naps when she got too tired. I will always support Kohl's for how they treated Kate.

Quote:

Kate went to EVERY Tiki event. At one point you could tell if it was a good event simply because Kate went to it. She was legendary for driving for hours all across California, Hawaii, Nevada, the Blue Ridge Mountains, just to swill a drink and discuss matchbooks. This is all the more amazing, because she was a very shy person at heart.

When I visited Kate, I would often think about the 2 hour drive to get up there. I could rarely get up there before 11am. But Kate was almost always the first person at a chop, getting up as early as she needed to, and driving as long as needed to get there. I always knew that if she could get to chops, then I could manage to go see her.
She really was so very shy, and so nervous about meeting people.

Kate wasn't her real first name, and none of her family call her Kate.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 2:26 pm   Permalink

A visit to Oceanic Arts was ALWAYS followed by lunch at The Bahooka.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 3:02 pm   Permalink

Goodbye Kate, I'll see you on the other side

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 3:05 pm   Permalink

My deepest sympathy to all of Kate's many friends and her family. I didn't know Kate, but have felt incredibly saddened by all of this. I hope you are all able to enjoy all the memories with less sorrow soon.

Aloha, Tiki-Kate.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 3:24 pm   Permalink

Kate touched many of us in many special ways. She was always a fun person to be around. Reading this thread is bittersweet. I have to keep stopping to dry my eyes.

Kate attended the baby shower for my first born and on the way stopped at an estate sale (she could never pass one without stopping, but who can?) She found a small vintage hawaiian shirt for our yet unborn little one. She was so excited to have found it!! Two years later he is just fitting into it and he LOVES it. Everytime he wears it I think of her and smile and I always will. When he outgrows it, which will be too soon, I'll save it for his little sister.

Keep remembering the good times.....Keep remembering the good times.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 3:40 pm   Permalink

Mieko, Good stories about Kate, especially about her shyness of meeting new people. That totally explains our awkward first meet at Oasis 09. shy person meets shy person. But I made a point of finding her and introducing myself. She was one of the first people on TC to get a piece of art from me and I wanted to thank her.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-23 4:29 pm   Permalink

BigTikiDude, Cammo, Mieko - thanks for the stories, I needed that

Quote:

Cammo wrote
She has a bumper sticker - "I Brake for Tiki-Kate's House"

I saw that bumper sticker on Buzzy's thread today. Probably been in hundreds of Buzz's pix and I never saw it before.

Kate hooked me up with a recipe for Disneyland's Bengal Beef kabobs when I was a newbie, long before I knew who she was.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 4:38 pm   Permalink

Her entire mug collection was destroyed in a famous incident when a stolen car ended a high speed chase with the police by driving directly into her home, hitting the wall holding the mugs first. Id still like to see pictures of this, Kate must have taken pictures. The whole collection was replaced piece by piece with insurance money.

twice! she lived at the end of a "T".

kate's license plates read, "tikigrl"

kate had a squirrel living in her crawl space and she didn't mind.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-23 4:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-23 11:51, ookoo lady wrote:
Just a reminder of some of the Tiki-Kates contribution to the content of Tiki-Central:

A Collection of Cannibals

Tiki-Kates great big collection of tiki wear

Topic: 1963 Hawaiian Vacation

Tiki-Kates Strange Little Beach Towel Collection

Thank you for posting pictures. Each one makes me smile.

All amazing examples of her love for the Urban Archaeology. I will add that, if you want to see even more examples of her great contributions to this site,
just go to Locating Tiki....so many great expeditions her and Boris would go on to find former tiki temples...
apartments, restaurants....tons of photos detailing all the existing remnants of of tiki in these places....including ads from old phone books found in libraries, and all kinds of other stuff. So thorough.
These were always my favorite Tiki Kate posts.
Those, and the one time she posted a menu cover for Wan Q, and I asked her to post pics of the rest of the menu, and she did...just cos I asked.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24925&forum=2&vpost=459123&hilite=Wan%20Q

Thanx Kate for all the great content and contributions to this site...we all lose out from your passing.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 4:59 pm   Permalink

aloha my friend.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 5:02 pm   Permalink

Very sad news I have been out of town yesterday and just heard about this. I received the initial shock a few days ago when I learned she was going into hospice. I thought her battle was very brave, and it was quite a jolt to get a reality kick, and realize that sometimes even the bravest battles don't win the war.
My deepest condolences to her family and friends who had been with her to the very end.
And if we're bringing back the porcelan god story at Ona's, then I guess I'll have to add she always blamed my drinks on that, and we used to joke about it every time we met.
Farewell Kate,
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WSWahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-23 5:23 pm   Permalink

So, so sad.

View Profile of WSWahine Send a personal message to WSWahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-23 6:53 pm   Permalink

Condolences to her family, as well as her friends here on TC. I never had the pleasure of knowing her, but I did have the pleasure of seeing her extensive contributions to this forum as well as Ooga-Mooga. Her smile seemed to be the subject of an awful lot of photos posted on this forum from a lot of events. I hope the powers that be see that her contributions become a permanent part of this sight.

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 7:50 pm   Permalink

I was looking at Kate's facebook page today, and saw this great photo of her and Billy the Crud.
Billy sometimes rubbed Kate the wrong way, and they had had kind of a falling out, but that changed when they crossed paths room-crawling at Oasis 9, as evidenced in this shot:

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki leki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-23 8:07 pm   Permalink

I had the great pleasure to meet Kate on several occasions from chops on Mission Bay to Tiki Oasis. I'm so sad and will miss her greatly.

View Profile of tiki leki Send a personal message to tiki leki  Email tiki leki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation