FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Central Ohana » » Rest In Peace,Tiki-Kate
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Rest In Peace,Tiki-Kate
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-23 8:19 pm   Permalink

We never met, or knowingly crossed paths. Clearly, she was a great friend to many people.

So sorry for everyone's loss.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
closettiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 9:05 pm   Permalink

I met Kate at my first Oasis in 2008...in fact at this carving village.......I was at the event alone and really didnt know anyone.
She befriended me as we talked about the tiki she was working on....i had asked her ...what will it look like when its done?
her response ...it is what it is.........now my favorite saying......She made my first oasis experience a fun one.....i have returned each year and did get to hang out with her at 09
...i missed her this year as she was unable to attend....ive met some great friends at oasis that were her friends........She was my mug trading partner twice in a row and we laughed about that.....we swapped stories about the Royal Lahaina resort as we had both been to it recently ..... These friendships i will never forget...as i will always remember Kate
The spirt and dedication that she had to the tiki spirt was evident in joy that you saw when you talked with her.........I am a better person for meeting her.......

I raise my mug to her....and lower it in sadness ........she wil be missed by all who knew her .......

View Profile of closettiki Send a personal message to closettiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 9:11 pm   Permalink

The world is a little brighter for she havimg been a part of it and a little sadder that she left so soon.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-09-23 9:46 pm   Permalink

Okay since we’re sharing details here’s something - She was Nauseatingly Punctual, you'd say “Let’s leave my place at 7:00 AM” and at 7:00:01 AM while still getting ready I'd get the call “Okay, I’m here are you ready to go?”

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 10:52 pm   Permalink

The time we got to spend with Kate was very short. She was nice enough to come and hang out with us at the Bali Hai and at the Ona Tiki when we were in San Diego over our birthday weekend in 2006. What struck me at the time and is reinforced by the responses I'm reading here is that Kate was a very warm person and more importantly, very genuine. She lacked any pretense and spoke her mind. She was the kind of person who, after even a brief encounter, you'd count as a friend. We need more people like Kate in the world. I wish we'd been able to spend more time with her.

She will be missed.

Aloha Kate.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 11:22 pm   Permalink

I can't properly relate how sad it is to hear about Kate, she was instrumental in encouraging me to come down to San Diego and attend several chops and events that I might not have attended otherwise. She made my son feel welcome when he came to learn amongst mostly adults and for that and all she did to make a difference in all our lives, she will be missed. Thanks Kate!

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 11:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-23 00:18, GROG wrote:
Here you go Mieko.

Boris and I visited with her on Tuesday and had the pleasure of meeting her Dad, brother, and her sister Susan. Kate was pretty weak, and because of the drugs couldn't really speak or keep her eyes open for long. She said something, but it was too hard to hear her well, and it sounded like she said "Not sure", and tried to repeat it a couple of times. We couldn't figure out which question or statement she was responding to. It wasn't until later that night when I was home I realized she was saying "Nice shirt" because she recognized I was wearing the Hawaiian shirt she gave to me at the shirt swap at Tiki Oasis a couple of years ago. She had picked it out for me at Oasis from those she had brought with her, she held it up and said "This will look good on you", and shoved it into my hands. It's always been my favorite Hawaiian shirt.

What a great and kind spirited lady. I'll miss her very much.

AWESOME ERNESTO!!!

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 03:36 am   Permalink

Awesome tributes for this very kind spirit.

She will be missed.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB TIKI

Posted: 2010-09-24 08:31 am   Permalink

Sorry for the lost to family and friends

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 11:32 am   Permalink

Kate and I crossed paths at many events, I wish I had known her better. Hugs to all of her friends who will miss her. Rest well, Kate.

[ This Message was edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2010-09-24 13:59 ]

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-09-24 2:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-23 19:50, 4WDtiki wrote:
I was looking at Kate's facebook page today, and saw this great photo of her and Billy the Crud.
Billy sometimes rubbed Kate the wrong way, and they had had kind of a falling out, but that changed when they crossed paths room-crawling at Oasis 9, as evidenced in this shot:

I like this photo a lot. Kate was really happy that she and Billy had buried the hatchet and were friends again. She told me that story a couple of times.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 2:40 pm   Permalink

This is just appalling. I only met Kate a few times but every single time was a delight. She was one of those rare, lovely, bright-spirited people for whom my (usually cantankerous and reclusive) heart just opens immediately. It was simply impossible not to feel at home with her right away; she was so easy and fun to be with, such a sweet, funny, kind and delightful human being. Kate, dear lady--I will never forget you. To all of you who loved her, I am so sorry for your loss.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 3:27 pm   Permalink

kate was the first friend i made when i joined tiki central and one of the first i met at my first tiki event at jungle trader's house. she did many kind things for me over the years, and i tried to return the favor as often as i could. friends like kate are what make tiki central so special to me. i've missed her during her illness and even more now. my life was better for having tiki kate as my friend. i've always loved this pic i took of kate at tiki oasis '07. r.i.p. sistah.

i'm glad i have this sticker as a small permanent memorial to kate in my tiki room.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

[ This Message was edited by: kingstiedye 2010-09-24 16:17 ]

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Enchanted Tiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 3:29 pm   Permalink

I wish I could've met Kate. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing!

View Profile of Enchanted Tiki Guy Send a personal message to Enchanted Tiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 3:58 pm   Permalink

I got to know Kate at the San Diego Chop Shop a few years ago. We were sitting at a table together with Mieko carving our Benzart Tikis when my carving knife slipped and I sliced my finger. It was a minor cut but she was quick to grab a band aid and help stop the bleeding. I remember how concerned she was because I had just recovered from open heart surgery and was on blood thinners that made the cut look worse than it was. She was a very caring and kind person and I will always remember her gentle, good nature. Prayers and good thoughts to you Kate and your loved ones. You will be missed and remembered always.

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation