FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » A couple more weapons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A couple more weapons
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-28 3:28 pm   Permalink

Just a couple pics of our 40' solid Koa canoe. That's right folks 40' of solid Koa. This is our fist race day of the regatta season & in this regatta association. Only solid Koa canoes are raced. You think seeing one is awesome, imagine 14 of them lined up on the starting line. It's a pretty amazing site to behold seing such beautiful works of art racing in the ocean.

That's me in the 4th seat(4th from right). 3rd & 4th seats are the powerhouse of the canoe. This is the Novice B Mixed(co-ed) team. Novice B are the first time/season paddlers. Individuals are only allowed to race twice in one race day so I was in this & the Novice B Men's team. Tommorrow I'll be in the Novice B Men & the Open Mixed(co-ed) team. Open, means any years/seasoned experience are allowed to paddle which means I'll have to step up my game on this one for sure. I was actually honored when the coach asked me to race with the Open Mixed crew. I guess I'm doing something right.

I'll try to take more pics tommorrow, our next race & an actual ancient heiau replica being refurbished on the actual heiau site, It's actually a little to the right of the top pic.

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-28 3:42 pm   Permalink

coconuttzo -

I LOVE the ancient ivory you scored on eBay! It is really scrumptious material...bordering on stone/lapidary for its beauty. Nice score and I hope to see a few more of your works created from that piece. Its just so unique, not to mention its age, that it must

Oh - and the canoe and rowing as exercise thing? I'm jealous.

Thanks for posting! Cheers! G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-28 5:24 pm   Permalink

That is awesome. Thanks for postin'.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-29 09:11 am   Permalink

Hey man, I'm Really Loving your bones and seeing you grow as a carver is Awesome. Thanks for the progress shots of the whales and Really sorry about the outcome,, but it happens to All of us and it hurts just as bad every time. Definitely save the pieces and even glue them back together for your own use.
Keep up the great work!
Good'on'ya for the canoe racing,, makes me envious!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 7:31 pm   Permalink

coconuttzo -

beautiful carves! loving the mammoth tusk work... incredible colors coming out of that ancient ivory!

i also have to say that your presentation is some of the best i've seen.... you're plaiting and toggles make the piece so professional.... well done!

quick question: where do you sell your pieces? do you have a website?

peace,
Jason <><

View Profile of TikiDaye Send a personal message to TikiDaye      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 3:53 pm   Permalink

Great carves coconuttzo! You really know how to bring out the inner beauty of these fossils.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 9:09 pm   Permalink

Some very cool looking bone works.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 2:01 pm   Permalink

Malo 'aupito to you all for the compliments. I'm only inspired by all of you who contribute your trade secrets on this very informative site. Had it not been for me accidentally stumbling here I would have never progressed 1/2 of much as I have now.

Here's a Kanaloa Pendant that I've been working on. Took about 9 hrs. of dremmel carving & 7 hrs. of filing/sanding. I used the small dental ball burr to carve out most of the body. For the face & head I used the cylindrical and wedge looking shaped burrs. It measures 3"(76mm)L x 1 1/2"(39mm)head width, 1 1/8"(28mm)base width x 3/8"(10mm)thick.

I wanted the toggle to match in proportion to the pedants size. Wanted a masculine feel to it I guess, so I made it 1/8"(28mm) long.

I actually started on carving out the body because I felt that's the hardest at least for me anyway.

Plus I still had the dilemma as to how I was going to attatch the cord. I didn't want to bore a hole into the finished head dress so I opted to carve a hole for the cord on top instead. I think that doesn't take the eye away from the piece. What do you guys think?

I also thought the plain white was not highlighting the details enough from a distance so I stained it in coffee & sanded the high areas to bring out the highlites. I think it looks like a very antique piece. Now I want to make a casting out of it so I can produce duplicates because I am not looking forward to carving another one like this anytime soon... unless the price is right of course.

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 2:09 pm   Permalink

Beautiful tiki pendant there, man!

I love the staining, the proportions, the cord and toggle. I think the way you attached the cord to the pendant is great, no problem there with me.

Keep up the great work and Thanks for posting. G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 4:28 pm   Permalink

Very nice!!! Good idea on the eyelet ... how do you secure the toggle? Is there a hidden hole under there that the cord passes thru? Also, if you don't mind me asking - what kind of cord do you use? I'm assuming you braid it yourself ...

Great Job!

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 10:06 pm   Permalink

Yes, quit the gem there. Fine picking.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 1:53 pm   Permalink

Malo TikiG, Captain Jack & seeksurf for your kind words. Captain Jack, after shaping the toggle, I use the wedge looking bur to first score the line where I want the cord to go all the way around. It's basically a guide for the next bur, the ball bur, so as the ball doesn't run away. I grind a fairly deep recess, between 1/3 - 1/2 diameter of cord. Then I wrap the cord firmly around the recess so that the cord has no chance of slippage, and then I lash the end with waxed thread. I did braid the cord out of 1mm waxed cotton cord. It's the usual 4 plait round braid. I just picked up some new cords at our local surplus store. They look similar to paracord but skinnier(2mm). Can't wait to braid these.

coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 2:29 pm   Permalink

Almost forgot to post these pics of the heiau next to tthe beach where our canoe regatta was being held. It was a rainy weekend & on this side(leeward coast) it rarely rains so the lighting isn't all that great.

Upon this great stone paepae(platform) stood ‘Ahu’ena Heiau, rebuilt by Kamehameha the Great as his heiau(temple) of the Hale O Lono(House of Lono), type. Dedicated to the god of peace & prosperity. Help from the gods for the King & his people was invoked at this site through the appropriate rituals & food sacrifices. ‘Ahu’ena was not a place of human sacrifice. It was actually the center of the Hawaiian capitol between 1812 to 1819 when Kailua Kona was the capitol of Hawaii.

Hale Mana - House of Spiritual Power(large house) was a place of prayer, a meeting house for discussing the kingdom’s affairs, and the school where the king educated his heir, Liholiho in matters pertaining to wise government. Here the prince received lectures from the leading kahuna(masters) of the arts, crafts, sciences, history & religion. The structure was of strong poles thatched with ti leaves & trimmed with fern. The interior walls were covered with silky banana-stalk sheathing. Soft mats covered the floor, around a fireplace for roasting bananas.

Hale Pahu - house of the drum(little A-framed structure left side) sheltered the great ceremonial drum of the temple. The structure is thatched with hala(pandanus) leaves.

‘Anu’u(white tall structure) has been often referred to as the oracle tower, because here the high priest received & proclaimed the answer of the gods to his petitions. This tower was the most distinctive feature of the temples of ruling chiefs & somewhat comparable to the steeples of churches.
Lele(right side out of fenceline, post beams)were stands where offerings were presented to the gods.

Ki’I Akua(temple images/tikis) symbolized the presence of helpful gods who were ancestral to the worshippers. To visiting Europeans, Kamehameha once said: “These are my gods. Whether I do right or wrong(by European definition)I do not know. But I follow my faith, which cannot be wicked, as it commands me never to do wrong.” Carved with great virtuosity, Ki’i Akua of the distinctive Kona style are regarded as among the finest of all Polynesian art forms. The tallest figure, crowned with an image of a golden plover, was Koleamoku, a god of healing.

One guy would climb up this ladder with a stick about 6' long which was draped with ti leaves that had been boiled & then soaked in the ocean for a couple days.

Then these 2 fellas would lash the thatched panel(stick) to the the roof framework/scaffolding.

Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-23 4:02 pm   Permalink

Cool! Thanks .... Now that I look at the toggle the cord does look to be indented a bit ... and thanks for the pics and info on the history of your island! Very Cool!! I'd love to see a closer picture of Koleamoku, the god of healing, that would be an interesting tiki to carve!

Thanks again and Have a Great Day!!

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-29 4:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC,

A couple of bone pieces. Been too busy with day job to make more of these.

This one I am not done sanding yet. It's just a rough carve done. I just lashed it to see how it would look like on the necklace.

I tried out the new micro paracords, about 2mm diameters that I got from the surplus store. They're my favorite, they look good & they don't take as long to braid because of the larger size. These necklace cords were braided from six plaits. I then lashed the fish hook pendants. I drew an instructional diagram for the lashing.

https://acrobat.com/?i=1aGL7aih3WewHP01PyOgkg

For more info on how I lashed them on, see the Bone Carving Q+A thread started by Tiki Duddy, page 6, post submitted by me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation