FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A couple more weapons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A couple more weapons
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-12 10:46 am   Permalink

Kewel stuff!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-12 5:01 pm   Permalink

MMumm Good!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 1:32 pm   Permalink

I was commissioned to do a traditional Lono head on top of a 4.5' long staff of Kauila(Alphitonia ponderosa), which is a very rare wood. I've been told that it can withstand the elements of Hawaii weather for years. There are actual fence posts used today out in the countryside of Ka'u which were erected over 60 yrs ago. To date, this would be my 3rd project made of wood which to me can be intimidating.

This wood was a very, VERY hard & dense wood and pretty heavy for it's size. For a stick that meaasured 4 1/2' long & about 2" in diameter at it's widest, it weighed in at a cool 7lbs. I tried to use the chiesels I had but I was having a hard time penetrating & controling the cuts. It also didn't help that there were already cracks in the wood. So I had to make a trip to Home Depot to buy a rasps & files set to help with the manual grinding. I used my dremel to make detail cuts for the inlay cavity and the nose and used a chisel to hand shave the roughouts of the rasps & files used. Then I cut out the eyes from whale tooth ivory scraps, fitted them in the cavity, drilled about an inch deep and pounded in a tapered peg made of Koa. Sand, polish & got a very happy customer.
In fact, he was so happy, that he invited me to share a booth with his club, The Royal Hawaiian Order in a major craft fair during the Merrie Monarch Festival happening on April 24-30 here in Hilo. I'm stoked yet feel a lil' unprepared because I don't have much inventory of finished pieces. I can barely find the time to carve. I guess I gotta make the time, huh.

Notice the cracks I had to deal with.

I actually like the cracks because it makes the image seem more antique with an ancient feel to it.

The image had to face one way because of this huge crack!

So I got the invite last week & I've been trying to pump up my production when I have the chance.

This is an Orca, I don't know why but I just had this image when looking at the bone. It just fit, I guess. Against my better judgement though, I carved between the tail flukes when I knew they'd need some sort of support to prevent breakage. A hard lesson learned. Oh well, you win some & lose some. I'll salvage the piece by shortening the flukes.

Here is a carved Hammerhead shark where the top is done in relief.

Because of the popularity of SUP surfing, I'll be carving more of these. This is not as big as my first one though. The 2 eyelets are because I wanted to see how it'd look like attatched to a 2 part necklace instead of the typical one neckace, if that makes any sense.

I made this because locals, here on the Big Island have island pride the size of the island, BIG and aren't afraid to show it. I carved a petroglyph paddler too for the love of paddling. I actually came up with this idea during the last outrigger paddling season but only last week carved it out. The battery pack went out on the drill which is why there is no hole on the extra tab there.

I loved the flow & shape of this hook so much that I had to make another one.

And finally, what I'm sure you all came here to see. Another tiki head which I just finished carving yesterday.

All that remains are sanding & polishing . Not looking forward to that. Oh almost forgot, I still have to braid the necklaces for them too

Still got more to carve so I gotta go. I'll keep postin new stuff when I find time to carve. Till then, te tau toki fetaulaki!

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 2:06 pm   Permalink

Loving the Ku pendant and the Lono walking stick with the inlaid eyes. Best of luck with the show.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-02 6:29 pm   Permalink

All nice pieces, nuttzo! I like the double attachment on the paddler necklace. Seems like that would keep a piece from turning backwards when you wear it!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-02 6:38 pm   Permalink

Man, Bunch'A Nice Stuff there coconutzo, Nice Work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-03 9:23 pm   Permalink

Wonderful bone carving Coconutzo!

And most wonderful walking stick... Look authentic and ancient.
Very nice!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-04 05:20 am   Permalink

WOW!! That's about all I can say, your work is phenomenal. Nice to see someone from my favorite place in the world, the Big Island doing such awesome work. If and when I ever get back, I'll have to try to meet you in person.

Aloha!

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-04 11:13 am   Permalink

Nice work. Love the ku.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-05 09:33 am   Permalink

Sharpen your tools after that Kauila wood!
Love them bones!
Just SUP'd this weekend, 40 degree water, slightly different that than the temps on Oahau I had 2 weeks ago!
Love that shark too!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-04 04:11 am   Permalink

Malo 'e lelei Tikinatics!!

Merrie Monarch Week was such a blast! I was ecstatic because this would be the first time I'm commercially exposing my pendants in the craft fair arena. I met tons of wonderful people who enjoyed looking at what I had to offer. But nevermind me blabbering, I'm just gonna show you what I made.

First off, I was so busy with carving, sanding, braiding cords, & lashing that I forgot to take pictures of all my pieces. So this picture is what I had left on the last day of the three day craft fair event.

This is a Moai fish hook with tattoo motifes of a fisherman on one side...

and a birdman(tangata manu) petroglyph on the other.

A Tahitian Ta'aroa fish hook...

and tattoo motifs on the other side.

A Lono Makau...

and on the reverse, with tattoo motifs of the nihoniho.

There was a Tahitian Black Pearl vendor there who really loved my two tikis here...

I really didn't want to sell them unless the price was right so I was selling the bodied tiki for $400 & the head for $200. Lucky for him & my wife, on this last day of the fair, April 30th was me & my wife's 12th wedding annivesary so he traded a beautiful Tahitian Blackpearl necklace worth $800 with the two tikis. A little bittersweet moment because my wife loved her annivesary gift but I think I'd rather take cash instead.

Here's a Taiaha spearhead which I embedded cubic ziconia into the eyes.

You may have seen some of these following carvings but I just want to show them again lashed onto the necklace cords.

The following pendants are carved from ancient ivory from the Wooly Mammoth Tusks between 20,000 - 50,000 yrs. old.

And lastly, although I never technically carved it. This was the last of 10 ancient ivory scrap pieces which were too small for me to be creative but I thought would be a waste to throw away so I just drilled holes & lashed them to cords & turned them into pendants. I was selling them easily, starting at $30 & up depending on size. For ancient ivory over 20,000 yrs. old, I'd figure there'd still be some value in them. For once, I was right!

Tommorrow, I'll post some of the pendants which I have listed on ebay in the TC Marketplace if any of you are interested in purchasing. Some of these have been sold since picture was taken but I can take requests if you see something you're interested in.

Till then, 'A hui hou!!!

[ This Message was edited by: coconuttzo 2011-05-04 07:04 ]

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-04 05:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-04 04:11, coconuttzo wrote:
A Tahitian Ta'aroa fish hook...

and tattoo motifs on the other side.

I'd wear any of them, but THIS one is so awesome!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-04 05:51 am   Permalink

AWESOME! Everyone!

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-04 6:43 pm   Permalink

Awesome awesome awesome

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-04 7:08 pm   Permalink

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

You are a carving god!!!!!!!! Beautiful work .......just amazing

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation